Question / Help Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle support?

Terara

I apologize if this has been answered already. I've not seen it yet so I wanted to ask just in case.

I've used OBS on a PC before the Mac version came out with my Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle and it worked super. No problems at all.
Now that the mac version is out I was excited because it would be so much more convenient to stream from Mac than PC in my case. However, when I go to create a new Video Capture Device source, I don't see my shuttle as a choice - I don't see any choice at all. I've confirmed in the Blackmagic Media Express program that it is indeed working and hooked up correctly.
I read in the known issues thread that certain video input devices do not work - is this behavior characteristic of that? Is it that the device will work with PC OBS but not the Mac version? I know that it is an early build so this is what I'm lead to think but I want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Thank you for any assistance in the matter.

Shor

I just got a Blackmagic Intensity Extreme the other day, and I discovered that you wont see it in OBS unless you unplug it or plug it in again. I don't think it'll work if you have Blackmagic Media Express running either.
Try it and see if it works for you.
This does not seem like an OBS issue actually, as I have the exact issue if I want to use the video capture in something like Skype.
I am guessing Blackmagic drivers could fix this eventually.

Terara

I've just tried unplugging and plugging back in and there's no change. Could you explain what you did in any more detail so I can make sure I'm replicating your process exactly?

Shor

Okay this is exactly what I did just now (I had no video capture created or anything in OBS):
I open up OBS...plug in my intensity extreme with thunderbolt cable.
I wait like 5 seconds...click add video capture, and then i have Blackmagic in the list.
I add it, and I get the capture window in OBS.
If i quit OBS and start it again, it wont detect Blackmagic anymore, and no capture window shows up.
However..if i quit OBS...plug in thunderbolt cable and start it up, it will show the capture window from BM.
I also tried this scenario... start up OBS (with the previously created capture source), plug in cable...and after a few seconds the capture window appears.

I hope this helps!

I haven't resolved everything myself yet, I still don't get audio input from BM to work yet.. looking to get that sorted out somehow. I've got soundflower, but I'm not sure how to configure it to make it work really.

Terara

This is quite curious.

I went and downloaded the newest drivers from blackmagic (I dunno why I didn't try that before) and now OBS consistently finds my shuttle. But it displays... Well... this now.
As far as I can tell all of the settings are aligned correctly - however I think there are less options in this one than the pc version. I don't have it to compare so I don't know what the problem is at this point.

Shor

Hey you're well on your way!
That's what it displays for me when I don't have the correct settings for what I'm capturing.
Make sure your settings in Blackmagic Design (under system settings) are set correctly (as in the same as you have when it's working in Blackmagic Media Express).
After they are set..unplug and plug it back in again, and it should work in OBS.
Please let me know if you get audio capture to work from it! Good luck!

Terara

Sadly this is as far as I'm able to get. Unplugging and replugging the shuttle doesn't fix the video problem. Maybe you can take a look and see if there's something missing?

Here's my Media Express settings and showing that it is working.
Here's the general Blackmagic settings.
Here's the OBS screen for video capture.

Shor

Only thing I had done differently is that I had checked the option to continue playback when in background checked in Media Express... but I'd think the settings in Media Express shouldn't matter, since it shouldn't be running.

Terara

Yeah, the two programs can't even work at the same time. And I don't think that setting even really has to do with anything on the recording/streaming end, just when playing back what you already recorded.
I've tried restarting my computer, reinstalling OBS and even using a console that would connect through HDMI to see if that would make a difference somehow. The only difference between the two of us is the model of the capture card, right? Your OBS, your Desktop Video and everything are the same versions?

Terara

Yeah, the only difference is that I have an Intensity Shuttle with Thunderbolt.

I'm officially out of ideas here. I think you're right that it's not really an OBS problem, but a driver problem.

Shor

I am using a BM Intensity Extreme and I can't capture audio either. Right now I route the audio out from my BM to a cheap USB capture that I use just for the audio.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Okay I'm probably going to have to buy one at this point, a number of people have reported the same thing so I don't know if it's a configuration issue or what.

If you add a "CoreAudio" input device source, is the blackmagic available for selection in the properties of it?

Shor

There is no "CoreAudio" input source available. I can however select the Blackmagic Audio from audio input sources, but I get no sound.
I can select it as a sound input in OSX though, and I can record the audio from my Blackmagic interface just fine in Logic. OBS will not receive any audio from it though.

Shor

Also this, I couldn't find any CoreAudio input. I also couldn't get any audio from my Apogee Quartet interface either fyi...and it most definitely is compatible with CoreAudio.

Last edited:

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Oh woops, it's the audio input source. It should say something like "Audio Input Capture".

Instead of doing that though, try seeing if the blackmagic is available as a 'Mic/Aux' audio device in audio settings