Question / Help Black Screen (Win8+Full Screen Game) [solved]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xphome

Re: Black Screen (Win8+Full Screen Game)

Cavar said:
Muf said:
N.B. You don't need Game Capture if you're on Windows 8. Monitor capture will work without any performance drop compared to Game Capture.

Even in a full screen game? Will I still get the black bars based on what Xphome said?
Monitor capture doesn't work when games are in fullscreen mode, you will get those black bars until you choose to stream/record at a 16:9 resolution but then you would have to play at it too or else it would get stretched and look horrible. I would just stick with the black bars.

Cavar

Xphome said:
I would just stick with the black bars.

That's what I'll probably have to do. Or maybe I'll upgrade to those two 27" 16:9 1920x1080 monitors I've been eyeing. :)

Xphome

Cavar said:
Xphome said:

That's what I'll probably have to do. Or maybe I'll upgrade to those two 27" 16:9 1920x1080 monitors I've been eyeing. :)
Going from 2560x1600 to 1920x1080 is a downgrade tho.

Cavar

Xphome said:
Cavar said:
Xphome said:

Going from 2560x1600 to 1920x1080 is a downgrade tho.

It is, but I do so much development work on two monitors at work, that having two at home would be nice. I dunno. I really don't want to spend money on monitors just to record/stream occasionally, so I doubt I'll ever go through with buying new monitors. I am an impulse buyer tho, so who knows. haha

Xphome

You could just buy one extra and keep the one you have. I currently have 3 monitors, 2x 1920x1080 1x 1280x1024.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin

I was specifying no black bars in the preview and local recordings...yes, there will be black bars on players that you upload videos to because you are playing them in a 16:10 resolution and they are 16:9 players.

Cavar

dodgepong said:
I was specifying no black bars in the preview and local recordings...yes, there will be black bars on players that you upload videos to because you are playing them in a 16:10 resolution and they are 16:9 players.

Ah. Well, I get black bars in the preview, local and on uploads. When playing locally, I use either VLC or WMP.

It's not a huge deal tbh, but I see so many people streaming and uploading and they don't have black bars. I guess they are all running in 16:9.

Xphome

Cavar said:
dodgepong said:

Ah. Well, I get black bars in the preview, local and on uploads. When playing locally, I use either VLC or WMP.

It's not a huge deal tbh, but I see so many people streaming and uploading and they don't have black bars. I guess they are all running in 16:9.
You shouldn't get black bars when you fullscreen the video, unless your Base Resolution in OBS is 16:9 which you could change to 16:10 to get rid of those.

Cavar

Xphome said:
Cavar said:
dodgepong said:

You shouldn't get black bars when you fullscreen the video, unless your Base Resolution in OBS is 16:9 which you could change to 16:10 to get rid of those.

Well, my desktop, the game and OBS Base resolution all say 2560x1600, which is 16:10, yet I still get the black bars when I play locally and upload.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin

What happens when you select the game source and press CRTL+R?

Can you take another screenshot if the OBS preview window?

Cavar

dodgepong said:

Sure, I'll do that when I go home in about 3 hours. I'll record it with Diablo 3 since it shows up in the Preview window and my other game doesn't.

Cavar

dodgepong said:

So, I am home now. I setup a new source for Diablo 3 and clicked the Preview stream button. The Preview was just a black screen. I could see the audio bar moving, so I know it was receiving audio from the game.

The video I recorded has the black bars.

I have attached a pre and post CTRL+R preview log file. Not sure if they'll tell you anything or not. Both got the following error when I run it through the log analyzer.

"Bad resolution / FPS / bitrate combination"

I had corrected this error at some point last night, but I've changed so many things since then, who knows why it's back. lol

I've also attached a screenshot of my Encoding and Video options in OBS.

Attachments

• obs.png
    21.3 KB · Views: 134
  • 2013-09-13-1658-56-preview-postCTRL+R.log
    4.5 KB · Views: 75
  • 2013-09-13-1655-15-preview-preCTRL+R.log
    4.5 KB · Views: 76

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin

I meant a screenshot of the preview window showing the black bars.

Cavar

dodgepong said:
I meant a screenshot of the preview window showing the black bars.

As I mentioned above, the entire preview window is black, so you won't see any black bars, but I have attached it.

Attachments

• obs_preview.png
    17.6 KB · Views: 135

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin

Can you run the game in Windowed Borderless mode? That will show the game while alt-tabbed.

Cavar

dodgepong said:
Can you run the game in Windowed Borderless mode? That will show the game while alt-tabbed.

I assume that means windowed full screen? If so, here's the attachment.

As you see, the preview does NOT show the black bars, however they are in my recorded video. And they are also on the video I uploaded to YT, but that's to be expected if they are there locally and due to my aspect ratio.

Attachments

• obs.jpg
    431 KB · Views: 171

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin

Ah HA, that's what I was trying to ask the whole time. So that is correct. The black bars ONLY appear on YouTube or what have you, since those are 16:9 players, and your resolution is 16:10.

Cavar

hehe yeah, I think that was mentioned a few pages back. :)

I guess I'll always have the black bars so long as I run in 2560x1600, which is 16:9 ratio.

I appreciate all your help and patience.

Status
Not open for further replies.