Question / Help BLACK SCREEN WHEN RECORDING

eltrolloloco

So I downloaded OBS with the intention of recording some BF4 Beta gameplay for YouTube. I have tried recording as a Game Capture, just recording the entire monitor and putting BF4 in fullscreen mode. None of these work. Windowed Mode works, but I get a small resolution with the game in the corner of the video, and the rest is black. I've tried it one multiple other games, too. Minecraft is the only game I can record without getting a black screen.

Also, It captures the audio, but the video is just black.

I'm running an AMD Radeon 7870, by the way.

If anyone can help me get it to record, even in windowed mode, I would be very greatful.

Here's my OBS log file from today:

Attachments

• 2013-10-02-1557-58.log
    12.7 KB · Views: 134

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
If the game is using "mantle" (AMD's new API), game capture will not be able to capture it. I've heard BF4 can use it, but I don't know if it's actually implemented in the beta.

Just an important thing to note though.

eltrolloloco

Jim said:
If the game is using "mantle" (AMD's new API), game capture will not be able to capture it. I've heard BF4 can use it, but I don't know if it's actually implemented in the beta.

Ok :/ what about windowed mode? Like I said, I can get it to record with a Window Capture, but the footage shows up in the corner of the video and the rest is black. Any way to fix this?

Xphome

eltrolloloco said:
Jim said:

Ok :/ what about windowed mode? Like I said, I can get it to record with a Window Capture, but the footage shows up in the corner of the video and the rest is black. Any way to fix this?
Make sure base resolution in OBS and the game resolution is the same, or make the source fit the whole stream.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Other people seem to be able to capture BF4 with game capture -- if there is an option for mantle somewhere, make sure to turn it off if capturing. (Someone else will have to enlighten me on whether it uses it or not)

Cronos

Bumping this because it was the most relevant thread on the third page of a Google result-

How would I capture it then?

Xphome

Cronos said:
Bumping this because it was the most relevant thread on the third page of a Google result-

How would I capture it then?
If game capture doesn't work? Run the game in windowed or borderless and use Window Capture.

Rimak

Hey guys, I'm Running HP G6-Pavilion 2300sy with 2 graphic cards Intel HD 400 and Radeon 7600M and was having same issue with black screen monitor and game capture, but got this to work.

TL;DR solution:
Newest AMD drivers have issues.
Set "Power saving" settings in Switchable graphics for obs.

before
8179e7060a386247db8ed3b4a00ee536.png

124ac488e16bdba4759fd7a28cd7df7e.png

after
b070d666ddb63ce5d6e9e67f2d0abe61.png

Full story.

I ran into this issue a while ago, but really didn't found a working solution so I just gave up. The most common answer was to JUST CHOOSE THE OTHER VIDEO CARD IN THE SETTINGS YOU NOOB, but the problem is:
3921e41de699fc68c0ac3f23e99ef5e6.png

After couple of months windows update found an update on my graph card and while installing totally broke my Radeon graphics driver, so I had to remove it completely and find a working solution. What I did is I found old driver package released for my PC by manufacturer (like 2012 graphics driver).
To my surprise after installing them Monitor capture started working, but since the drivers was so old eventually I stumbled upon some D3D errors in games, so had to update the driver, but after update til newest version I got black screen back.
I found a topic on NVidia laptops to force a certain GPU for applications so that's when I found this solution.
Anyway, hope this helps, cuz it was pain to stream in window capture.