Question / Help Black screen in the middle of recording a game

Lucyda

Hello everyone,
today I had an annoying problem during the game recording, which I unfortunately noticed after recording.

At first the recording (MKV) is quite normal, but from about minute 17 on OBS only recorded a black screen (+ a logo + a text as additional sources) and the sound. The ingame footage has suddenly disappeared.

Here is the corresponding log file: https://obsproject.com/logs/xrHo3lS_JWCPzm_K
(Recording starts at 11:48:34.303)

The game was Industries of Titan (Epic Games Loader).
I'm using OBS version 24.0.3, because version 25 unfortunately didn't work with another game (Division 2) a few weeks ago (black screen), so I switched back to 24.
24.0.3 has worked without problems so far.

After discovering the missing ingame footage I run OBS and started the game again to see if there will be a black screen from the beginning, but there is no black screen.

I found a lot of information about the general black screen problem, but not about the black screen suddenly appearing during recording.

Can anybody help? Would be great to prevent that from happening again in the future.

Thanks and greets,
Lucyda

Lucyda

Ahm, in my record I noticed something now. Maybe the problem got to do with the Unreal Game Engine the game is running with?
It seems, the ingame footage disappeared in the moment I grabbed an menu item ingame and dragged it elsewhere.
I attached a screenshot where you see ingame footage a second before it vanished and a second after. On the after-screenshot you'll notice, that the dragged item hopped to the top left corner of the screen (it definitely didn't do that ingame). That's all I can see for the rest of the record.

I reproduced that afterwards: After grabbing OBS recognizes only the dragged menu icon as full screen application.

Maybe that makes this a bug?

Attachments

• obs.jpg
    obs.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 21
Last edited: