Question / Help Best bitrate for 720p 60fps streaming FFXIV?

Hav3nsblade

Title explains it all, what is the best bitrate/max buffer size to stream FFXIV in 720p and 60fps? I mess around with the bitrate/max buffer size but, I would like some advice. Thanks

Krazy

Town drunk
Generally 2500 is a good starting point for 720p60fps in games where the full scene is in motion a lot.

Kharay

Unless you have a very specific reason to use a custom buffer size it is safest to simply leave it disabled.

Hav3nsblade

One last question, how would I be able to fix how fuzzy/blurry the stream video quality gets? That really irks me and I would like to lessen that as much as possible so my viewers can have a better picture. Would I have to increase bitrate even more?

Kharay

Sadly, MMORPGs being what they are and showing their content in the way they do, it is kind of challenging to completely avoid pixelation. You could try dropping down a preset (or 2, if your PC can handle it) in Advanced. So, down from Veryfast to Faster or Fast. That will help to some extent.

Thing is, beyond a certain point, additional bitrate starts suffering from some diminishing returns. For example, if I experiment with Dota 2, it will look like 90% the same at 1800 Kbps as it does at 2700 Kbps.

FF14 in particular probably is quite challenging to stream with absolute clarity. I have watched a few people try and stream it and so far I have yet to see 1 streamer streaming FF14 do so without actually having a very notable quality loss.

Hav3nsblade

The only method I had was to basically have no downscale which my native resolution is 900p but, I know some people can barely handle 720p

Krazy

Town drunk
People being able to watch streams is way more bitrate dependent than than resolution dependent. Even some old dual cores can handle 1080p decoding.

FerretBomb

alpinlol said:
ImMrLink said:
Just saying if you're not partnered with twitch using 60fps is just a waste of time.
this makes no sense at all
Actually, it does. The recommended max for non-partners is 2000kbps. That isn't anywhere NEAR enough for a 720@60 stream. Even 2500kbps is only really going to suffice for low-medium motion games (eg: NOT MMOs/third-person games, FPSes, racing games, etc) at 720@60.

For good quality 720@60 in high-motion games, 3000kbps is actually a midrange, with 3500 being better. Partnered streamers who have transcodes available (all the time) can get away with this as people can select a lower quality option if they buffer too much. For a non-partner? They'll just leave.

That said, 60fps for an MMO is indeed very much a waste. Due to the high on-screen motion of the third-person format, I'd recommend 30fps maximum, devoting significantly more bitrate to image fidelity, especially helping when you turn the camera or move around at all.

Oh, and don't use a custom buffer. Most recommending them don't know what the hell they're talking about or what it's for, just parroting something they heard.