Basic Audio for Zoom Recording

Willow1

Hello...I will start by saying I am not a techie. I have spent countless hours at this point trying to get audio to work on a MacBook Pro running Sonoma 14.6.1. I want to be able to record Zoom meetings whether I am listening and speaking using the laptops built-in speakers and mic or if I am using wired Apple earbuds being plugged into the 3.5mm jack or AirPods via bluetooth.

There was no problem figuring out how to get OBS to zero in on the Zoom app to capture only that. I read some things about BlackHole 2ch and tried doing that but the echo was insane. I have no idea what I did wrong. I uninstalled BlackHole 2ch and did Controls>Settings>Audio>Global Audio Devices>Mic/Auxiliary Audio and selected ZoomAudioDevice. Video quality and other people's voices were fine for my purposes but I could not be heard on the recording. Participants could hear me though.

I do not intend on using Zoom and OBS in any complicated way. I simply need to be able to have my voice included in the recording. How do I do that and not have everything echoing?

Willow1

After no response to my question to the community, I eventually figured things out and am posting a reply to my own question in case someone else runs into this or I need to go back to reference it in the future.

As of Sept 2, 2024, there is no need for VB-Audio Cables, Blackhole 2ch, or anything other than what is in OBS if running macOS Sonoma (I have not tested macOS versions that come before).

OBS SETUP: (Bold needs to be checked each time)
SCENES: Zoom

SOURCES: macOS Screen Capture
Settings gear:
Method = Application Capture (typically have to flip this to one of the other two options and back to Application Capture to get it going each time)
Application = zoom.us
Check Show fullscreen and hidden windows / applications
Uncheck Show cursor
Click OK

SOURCES: macOS Audio Capture
Settings gear:
Method = Application Audio Capture (same as screen capture of choosing another option and coming back to Application Audio Capture)
Application = zoom.us

GENERAL SETUP (Doesn’t need to be checked each time):

Controls>Settings>Video>General:
Base = 2624x1696
Output = 2624x1696
Common FPS = 60

Controls>Setings>Audio:
Global Audio Devices all set to Disabled except:
Mic/Aux Audio: MacBook Pro Microphone (or headset)
Mic/Aux Audio 2: ZoomAudioDevice

Advanced Audio Properties:
macOS Audio Capture = Monitor Off
macOS Screen Capture = Monitor Off
Mic/Aux = Monitor Off
Mic/Aux 2 = Monitor and Output

Leave everything in Audio Mixer unmuted.