Question / Help Bad record in OBS

dani27

Hi, so I have a problem. When I stream and record with OBS the stream is going good but the record it looks like big pixels that are stuck on the screen for a few second and than is going well for another few second. The encoding for stream is done by cpu and the encoding for record is done by gpu.
log file: https://obsproject.com/logs/ZVM9FvUwFBJ_5vVk
XiaoYing_Video_1560157180393.gif

Last edited:

Narcogen

If the stream is going well I would just use the same encoder for both streams.

That said, the log shows a significant loss of frames due to internet instability-- wireless isn't really recommended for streaming. I don't see any encoder lag, but that's what I would have expected to see with the artifacting in your image.

I would probably also use CRF rate control while recording if available (I think it is with QSV, I'm not sure because I don't use it much.)

There are also instances in the log of increasing audio buffering up to almost 1 second, sometimes indicative of general system overload.

dani27

Ok, thank you very much. And the problem with audio buffering how should I solve it?
And what crf do you recommend?

Last edited:

Narcogen

It's not really a problem to address separately, it's just that 1) it can become a problem and 2) having it means something else is so overloading your system that it can't process audio in time.

CRF 15 is usually the highest quality that people suggest using. 25 is about the lowest.

Narcogen

As a general rule, yes. Most NVENC chips in the previous generation of cards were more or less equivalent to the veryfast preset when using x264 encoding.

The newest ones (Turing) seem to be in the faster/fast range (they claim medium but I'm skeptical of this).

dani27

Ok, thank you very much. I found out that if I use the x264 encoder the problem is solved, but also I can solve the problem if I record in mkv format.

Narcogen

The choice of container format (mkv, flv, mp4) does not affect stream quality or encoder settings. Encoder preset, bitrate, and/or rate control settings do, as do frame size/frame rate.