Bug Report Bad audio (steel container sound) [FIX]

Tornado84

I have now joined this forum only because I have found the solution to a problem that I have not found anywhere else yet.
I am not a big user of OBS, but have used it a lot lately. When I was checking out a new recording, I discovered that the the audio was terrible. It sounded like it was recorded inside a steel container. I'm using an old HP Pavilion and VLC as the default video player.

So I ended up trying everything that has been suggested here and on youtube, but most of the advices has been a total waste of time. But luckily some have been partially helpful.
Those who have been totally useless in this case:
* Checking the sound settings in windows and OBS
* Filtration
* Run Apple Application Support for 32 and 64 bit
* Control settings (from 7.1 audio to stereo, etc.)
* Update of OBS
* Update of VLC with current settings

What has been partially helpful:
* Checking the Log Files
* Change the file format from mp4 to MKV

None of these solved the problem, but they provided important clues as to where the problem was.

The log file informed me that there was a problem with VLC.
" Couldn't find VLC installation, VLC video source disabled "

When the file format was changed, the video file was opened in a program other than VLC., and the sound was perfect In this program.

The solution:
* Update of VLC without current settings

It turned out that the settings in the VLC had at one point changed or been changed. I can't tell what settings this has been since everything is working as it should at this moment.
Current Log File says
" VLC found, VLC video source enabled "

Nefos

I've found a different solution to this problem. After fixing the VLC 32-bit installation leading to the error you mentioned, the result ended up being the same.
In my case, the problem is that the desktop audio is being pre-processed by the driver. I have the Sound Blaster Cinema 2 as the front-end software of my driver, and it provides all sorts of audio optimizations. By turning them off before recording and turning on before listening, it made it perfect.
It seems like by recording with the pre-processing and then watching the video with the pre-processing on made it reapply the effects, creating this weird steel container feel. You should record Desktop audio without any changes and allow the driver of the viewers to make the necessary transformations for the best experience.

omgukk

I've found a different solution to this problem. After fixing the VLC 32-bit installation leading to the error you mentioned, the result ended up being the same.
In my case, the problem is that the desktop audio is being pre-processed by the driver. I have the Sound Blaster Cinema 2 as the front-end software of my driver, and it provides all sorts of audio optimizations. By turning them off before recording and turning on before listening, it made it perfect.
It seems like by recording with the pre-processing and then watching the video with the pre-processing on made it reapply the effects, creating this weird steel container feel. You should record Desktop audio without any changes and allow the driver of the viewers to make the necessary transformations for the best experience.
THANNNNNNK YOU. Holy shit this took so long to figure out......
Quick bump for anyone else with sound blaster pre-processing software that is fucking with your recordings and you may not even know it.

jerrygleam

You’ll want to make sure that you’re using CoreAudio AAC encoder.. it produces way better sounding audio.. check your log to see if it is being used by OBS.. if you download iTunes onto your computer (you don’t have to use iTunes at all but it comes with this encoder) and then restart OBS and check your log it should say CoreAudio AAC enabled or something of that nature

ms2312

I was able to fix this issue on the basic home screen simply by selecting "Default" as my audio source instead of "Headphones" which was the selected source.

ms2312

I was able to fix this issue on the basic home screen simply by selecting "Default" as my audio source instead of "Headphones" which was the selected source.
EXTRA: I was able to improve the quality just a little bit more by hooking up a TV. It added two audio devices to the Sound Menu, and once they were enabled I could use them in OBS.

But they didn't have to be the default audio device.

I could still do just my headphones for how I heard the audio but I set OBS to hear it through the "NVIDIA High Definition Audio" pipeline..

Your audio pipelines from your various devices might have different names, but they're worth checking out. "Default" in OBS sounded better than iTunes on Windows Audio Session, but there was some light static, at least for me. It was like 98.9% perfect when I ran it through the TV, but I'm not gonna say it was like a movie theater. But noticeably better.