Question / Help AverMedia Capture with OBS recording party chat in Xbox

stanmine

Hello,

Can anyone assist me on setup and configuration of recording a party chat on the Xbox One?

Basically, Xbox is hooked into the AverMedia card and the AverMedia card is connected to my computer and we have the audio card in the computer connected to a headset. It works to record just him but cannot figure out how i would connect it to record myself and my friends.

Thank-you

Narcogen

If you configure your Xbox to send party chat to speakers, it will be captured together with game audio.

If you turn on mic monitoring on the Xbox, it will also include your own microphone.

This is the simplest way to do this.

The better, more complicated ways involve a physical splitter between your headset and your controller, sending audio from your headset microphone and your headset speakers into two separate audio inputs on your computer, or using the Xbox app on Windows and capturing your microphone separately in OBS and then also sending that output to the Xbox app to use as your party microphone.

stanmine

Thank-you. I tried the splitter on the controller (headset and the other to the MIC port on the computer) and can't get a signal to OBS. Did i read this wrong?

Narcogen

No, you didn't read it wrong, but you might 1) have the wrong splitter or 2) have plugged it in incorrectly.

I use this one, for instance:

https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-PCV-05-Combo-Adapter/dp/B00IM36VU0

That, plugged into an Elite controller (or the new regular one with the standard headset port) will give you separate microphone and headphone leads so that you can plug into the computer; one you will use to input into your computer the output from the headset, for chat audio, and the other you can use to send output from a microphone connected to your computer to Xbox Live for chat. (That requires software beyond just OBS, though).

Narcogen

Nope, that's wrong. That's taking a stereo headphone plug and splitting it into two identical connections, so you could connect two pairs of headphones to the same device.

You need one like the Sennheiser one that adapts a TRRS connector to separate headphone and microphone connections.

stanmine

I just got around to attempting this which i believe i had in the past because i had one of these lying around https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M0T6PSF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So, the one i ordered that you recommended. I plug that into the xbox controller and the headset goes in the mic (pink one) and the other one (green) goes into the back of the computer green port or pink port? Can you help explain what plugs into what?

I don't have a separate microphone attached to my computer, just the sound card. Attached is a pic of the sound card inputs

Attachments

• soundcard.jpg
    soundcard.jpg
    838.5 KB · Views: 95

Narcogen

I'm assuming that those ports are, from top to bottom:

headphones
line out
mic

What you want to do is *reverse* the connections from the adapter-- pink to green, green to pink, since what you're trying to do is capture the headset's output and use it as an input on your PC-- so that means adapter headphones to PC microphone.

If you don't have a microphone connected to your PC I don't know what you're planning to do about that; the usual scenario would be to plug an output from your PC, either the main one or one from a USB sound card, into the microphone port of the adapter, and then use software like Voicemeeter to route sound from your PC microphone to that port, so that now your PC has taken over the role of the dedicated headset with respect to the Xbox controller.

This can, of course, all be done with the Xbox app on Windows, as well, without any sort of adapter.