Automating Start Recording many minutes after streaming started

Lawrence_SoCal

I'm streaming to a platform that requires connecting stream in advance, which isn't a problem. As a backup (and as I'm working in a higher resolution than streaming), I record within OBS the live stream. I'd prefer to avoid recording the 'empty' time before actually "Going Live".
I currently use over a dozens scenes as we switch back and forth from live camera and pre-recorded video content.
I use Advanced Scene Switcher to make sure on starting scene on time, and switch scenes both based on time, and when a pre-recorded video ends to move to 'next' scene. Advanced Scene switcher has an option to end recording on a specific scene, but not one to start recording :(

For last few months, I've simply hit "Start Recording" at appropriate time (but I've also gotten distracted and missed many minutes before)
What I'm looking for is a way to automate starting the recording AFTER the stream has already been running for many minutes. I am NOT looking for a Hotkey
Ideally, at a specific clock time (or switching to a specific scene) OBS Recording would automatically be started
I did search, and most answers are around batch files to start OBS stream and recording at same time. which misses my requirement to start streaming in advance for live stream.
Worst case, is I set recording to start automatically with Start Streaming, and simply trim video later.... but I really prefer to avoid that

I also just came across https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/obs-recording-manager.659/ which might work??

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Woo's Dad

Use advanced scene switcher plug in. On the general tab there is a check box to allow you to start recording automatically at the start of a scene that you can select from a drop down list.

Lawrence_SoCal

Actually, that is what I'm using and I worked direct with Warmuptill to enable this exact functionality in v1.7 iirc shortly after my original post

for others that read this
So, using Facebook as an example with their Scheduled Live video (which enables non-Facebook folks to watch stream at public URL) you have to start streaming (from OBS to FB) at least 10 minutes prior to scheduled Live stream start time
So, what I done is
- start streaming in advance as required.
- Have /live/producer open to check preview
- Using Timer tab in Advanced Scene Switcher , I change to a specific scene at Scheduled time, leave for 10 seconds then switch to scene with countdown timer
this accomplishes a couple of things. The scene is set to trigger Start Recording (so I don't have to think about that..its automated) and by leaving up for 10 seconds I get a clean video thumbnail FB will use.
I then have a final sequence of scenes (and use Adv Scene Switchers Sequence tab automation to handle)
- A Goodbye scene (up for 10 seconds)
- a copyright slide/Scene (2 seconds),
- then an empty (of sources) final scene which I titled StreamOver, that triggers (same plugin) an end to stream and recording

I also make extensive use of the Media tab in that plug-in to handle scene changes when a pre-recorded video ends