Automatic scene switching on screen saver?

jacksonchen666

Hi, I want to automatically switch to a scene ("BRB") when the screen saver or lock screen (or when specifically the screen to enter your login password) is active (then switch back to the "Screen" scene when no screen saver is active).
However, I'm not sure what window/application name I should use for the trigger. I tried to grab the window name through Applescript, but window names does not seem to be useful for OBS automatic scene switching.

Some attempts to get the window name:
AppleScript:
tell application "ScreenSaverEngine" to run
delay 1
tell application "System Events"
    get properties of every application process
end tell

I could find something named "ScreenSaverEngine". I put that into OBS automatic scene switcher, record, and it does not switch scenes when the screen saver is active. Normal applications work fine, though.

AaronD

I think you're asking for trouble by allowing the screensaver or lock screen to happen at all, while you're live. Better to set the OS to never do that, and find some other way to trigger that scene in OBS. Maybe a timeout in Advanced Scene Switcher?

jacksonchen666

I think you're asking for trouble by allowing the screensaver or lock screen to happen at all, while you're live. Better to set the OS to never do that, and find some other way to trigger that scene in OBS. Maybe a timeout in Advanced Scene Switcher?
Locking my computer/Triggering the screen saver is usually manual (upon leaving the computer unattended) and not locking my computer while unattended is a no-go for me.

Also, the reason I want to switch to a different scene while the screen saver goes is because the password prompt for login could leak the length of the password, which is what I'm trying to hide by automatically scene switching.
I also don't live stream, only record, so while recordings won't be published as-is, it's probably better to not have it visible anyways.

AaronD

Locking my computer/Triggering the screen saver is usually manual (upon leaving the computer unattended) and not locking my computer while unattended is a no-go for me.
I still think you're asking for trouble. Media production and privacy generally don't go together. Incompatible mindsets between "all tools always available because it's impossible to predict what's needed when" and "only allow what's needed at each moment". If you really must have both, maybe you could have a dedicated machine that only does media, that you leave open?

I also don't live stream, only record, so while recordings won't be published as-is, it's probably better to not have it visible anyways.
Why do you record (what is practically) nothing? And why do you include that in the final product? Sounds to me like you're wasting your audience's time. Why not stop and restart the recording, and then splice them together with either no or minimal filler?