Automate 24/7 Stream for a scheduled Playlist

bcoyle

Hi, I just need some script to get the currently playing video, display it, and save it to the file. I can modify the lua script, but I need some help to getting the index or video name of the currently playing video from the playlist that I use as a source. ex- VLC Video source..etc Please...
sorry, Id like to help you, but I don't have any experience with scripts. if a video is playing, you could just push the record button and then change the record file name late. I assume it is not as simple as that.

Danny Teunissen

Hello bcoyle.

We are a small tv Broadcaster in the Netherlands. We have the need of a good scheduler for broadcasting . We looked around and find out that the software costs are annoying High in terms we want.
This is what we want to do..

**Schedule of news located on a ftp server (always the same file name ) so we have always the latest news on screen.

**Schedule a rtmp stream

**Schedule a pre recorded video

** Schedule advertising.

**Our main screen is a rss file showing the latest news in Text. (With the sound of our radio channel)

We are a broadcast TV channel that Lives on financial donations .

I hope we can work together and maybe if you want I can test your Beta schedule together with you.

Best regards Danny

bcoyle

Hello bcoyle.

We are a small tv Broadcaster in the Netherlands. We have the need of a good scheduler for broadcasting . We looked around and find out that the software costs are annoying High in terms we want.
This is what we want to do..

**Schedule of news located on a ftp server (always the same file name ) so we have always the latest news on screen.

**Schedule a rtmp stream

**Schedule a pre recorded video

** Schedule advertising.

**Our main screen is a rss file showing the latest news in Text. (With the sound of our radio channel)

We are a broadcast TV channel that Lives on financial donations .

I hope we can work together and maybe if you want I can test your Beta schedule together with you.

Best regards Danny
Hi Danny.. You sound like a dot com. If not , please explain. Could you please send me a URL so I can see it? Thanks. You can see my running test channel on youtube at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y-_5D5CfVk
Also the main youtube channel is youtube.com/@dccatvnv

Danny Teunissen

Hi Danny.. You sound like a dot com. If not , please explain. Could you please send me a URL so I can see it? Thanks. You can see my running test channel on youtube at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y-_5D5CfVk
Also the main youtube channel is youtube.com/@dccatvnv
Hey bcoyle
What do you mean about a dot .com ?
I saw you channel looking good
Here is the link of the broadcast

It's a Lokal tv channel but not nice.
We gonna build it up from the ground.

Best regards Danny

Tomasz Góral

bcoyle

dot com - big IT firm

Check my sheduler (working with version websocket 4.9.1): https://weblive.pro/scheduler_for_obs.exe
Sorry, You talked about a main page and I did know if you meant to have my scheduler do all or weather obs outputs a rtmp stream to your web widget. I just needed your .com link to see what you are doing. I'm going on vacation for a few days start today , so will be off line.

A few things, I have to investigate, like how to handle the ftp text. I f you would ber so kind, could you give me the ftp url and also infomation on your rtmp url for me to play with.

bcoyle

Before you send me any sensitive information, we should take this off-line. So if you wish, please PM me.

Danny Teunissen

First off all let me explain in detail how the setup of the channel must look like.

We have a main Static page (scene) With now working text news.( Not online yet) . Under the main page you can hear the music from our Broadcasting Radio station.

Here is why we need a good scheduler:

Our news source upload a news bulletin video when available in our ftp server. A program running on the pc looks if there is a new available video and replace that video with the same name. Like news.mp4 .
I can give you that link in privet.

A scheduler must plan that video "video.mp4" at the whole hour. (Important with the correct length) because every uploaded video have different lengths.
And start the news video in Obs

Now we have also advertising . That must be scheduled. And some videos.

The most difficult part is not planning exiting videos but the one that comes from the frp server.

Hope you understand how the channel works. Btw nice YouTube channel works nice .

Best regards Danny

Wild to me that 3 years later people are still trying to fit a square peg into a round hole, trying to make a video switcher into a playout system when plenty of free/open source/commercial playout solutions exist, while obs's focus is being a solid video switcher & compositor. To each their own I suppose, but it's the equivalent of trying to force excel to perform as a large database, or use a motorcycle to tow a trailer. Could you use these things for this purpose? Sure, to an extent. Should you? absolutely not. Right tool, right job is the way to go, but best of luck to those still trying to hack this together still years later (and best of luck having it perform as stable and able to error correct/adjust it self to the degree proper playout systems for broadcast and similar do.)

bcoyle

Wild to me that 3 years later people are still trying to fit a square peg into a round hole, trying to make a video switcher into a playout system when plenty of free/open source/commercial playout solutions exist, while obs's focus is being a solid video switcher & compositor. To each their own I suppose, but it's the equivalent of trying to force excel to perform as a large database, or use a motorcycle to tow a trailer. Could you use these things for this purpose? Sure, to an extent. Should you? absolutely not. Right tool, right job is the way to go, but best of luck to those still trying to hack this together still years later (and best of luck having it perform as stable and able to error correct/adjust it self to the degree proper playout systems for broadcast and similar do.)
So little faith

bcoyle

You should encourage people to use obs in new ways. A full blown 24/7 does take a lot of work to create. I'm running beta testing on my app and it's pretty stable. It's been running and "COMPOSITING" 24/7 program schedule and streaming for 20 straight days now. Once set up, it can schedule programs months or years in advance and do it in a way that uses Fresh videos years out if desired. You may not be interested in 24/7 but there are people that are, especially if the app reduces station management to one man instead of a crew. I've studied some of the free stuff available and found it tedious to use and the better it is, the more it costs. I suggest that since you have used some of these software products, that it would be of great value that you tell us your experiences and recommendations. That would add value to the obs community.

bcoyle

OBS does make a good encoder,switcher and compositor. Using OBS standalone as a 24/7 + plugin would not work, because it's way too complicated for OBS to handle. But as an encoder engine controlled via the websocket by an outside app, 24/7 is very do-able

You should encourage people to use obs in new ways.
I'd rather not, and instead focus more at helping someone excel at using things even better for the purposes they are designed for, whether that be a software switcher like obs, or any of the many existing playout systems for 24/7 station management. It so happens these forums are for the former, not the latter.
A full blown 24/7 does take a lot of work to create.
I don't think anyone is disputing that? Another reason to use systems built for those tasks - more time executing instead of building.
I'm running beta testing on my app and it's pretty stable.
That's excellent, congrats!
It's been running and "COMPOSITING"
not sure why you threw compositing in caps and quotes here?
You may not be interested in 24/7 but there are people that are,
I at no point ever said I wasn't interested in 24/7 and that no one was...
especially if the app reduces station management to one man instead of a crew.
again, that's why I've said time and again 'right tool, right job' - there are existing playout / management systems who's focus is literally 24x7 station management to create a one-man band scenario. Their sole focus and development is on that goal, not being a software video switcher being retooled for a use case it wasn't initially designed around.
I suggest that since you have used some of these software products, that it would be of great value that you tell us your experiences and recommendations. That would add value to the obs community.
I've shared those recommendations many times before. The 'value' has been added. It's far more valuable to speak to / assist with / make recommendations on the product this forum is devoted to and the use cases it's primary usage and development focus is centered on.

As I said previously in the post you were quoting from, I was literally just surprised people are trying to square-peg-into-a-round-hole this solution still after 4 years of this thread (that started from people not knowing what playout systems and schedulers are or that they existed and looking for that solve), rather than use the many that have existed for years and kept everything from decent sized stations all the way down to no-budget free ones going for many years, and I wish those still trying to hammer away at this all the best.

Last edited:

bcoyle

I'd rather not, and instead focus more at helping someone excel at using things even better for the purposes they are designed for, whether that be a software switcher like obs, or any of the many existing playout systems for 24/7 station management. It so happens these forums are for the former, not the latter.

I don't think anyone is disputing that? Another reason to use systems built for those tasks - more time executing instead of building.

That's excellent, congrats!

not sure why you threw compositing in caps and quotes here?

I at no point ever said I wasn't interested in 24/7 and that no one was...

again, that's why I've said time and again 'right tool, right job' - there are existing playout / management systems who's focus is literally 24x7 station management to create a one-man band scenario. Their sole focus and development is on that goal, not being a software video switcher being retooled for a use case it wasn't initially designed around.

I've shared those recommendations many times before. The 'value' has been added. It's far more valuable to speak to / assist with / make recommendations on the product this forum is devoted to and the use cases it's primary usage and development focus is centered on.

As I said previously in the post you were quoting from, I was literally just surprised people are trying to square-peg-into-a-round-hole this solution still after 4 years of this thread (that started from people not knowing what playout systems and schedulers are or that they existed and looking for that solve), rather than use the many that have existed for years and kept everything from decent sized stations all the way down to no-budget free ones going for many years, and I wish those still trying to hammer away at this all the best.
thank you for your comments

bcoyle

this a forum for all people with diverse interests, a safe place. Constructive criticism is ok. I've looked at your other posts and have seen that you have helped many people. People do projects all the time that you may feel a waste of time. I also get the feeling you would like this thread to disappear. Do you really think ,I'd waste a lot of time duplicating some "free" commercial or amateur software. Obs is not just the property of youtubers. When I mentioned "compositor", I thought you might just be a little curious about what I meant. Most people think of 24/7 as playout software, not as a full IPTV. What I'm doing is 24/7 IPTV , Playout , prototyper , recorder and other purposes. It's getting late. Here is my current IPTV TEST channel on youtube.