Automate 24/7 Stream for a scheduled Playlist

bcoyle

Not sure if anyone is still interested in a 24/7 video playlist manager type plugin but I just finished a quick prototype. I will continue adding features and enhancements so let me know and I'll get make the plugin public.

View attachment 62083
Very nice. Yes, interested. What are some of the features? Does it take a file to schedule or do you enter manually. Also, do you have enough material to run 24/7? I'm working on a public tv like program, but it looks like you already have something going. Also, do you have a good source of material, i.e. where are you getting your videos? I'm in the same boat. It takes a lot of videos to keep your channel fresh. Are you streaming now? eager to hear from you.

msschwartz

Current features are just basic playlist building such as drag n drop video files, insert custom urls, import/export playlist. We can play/pause/stop/skip videos in the playlist while playing. Special "triggers" in the playlist to do certain things like adding logo or lower third.

We are a small broadcasting company with many hours of content so keeping it fresh is not a problem. All our videos are saved on a NAS connected to the local network. If you notice my screenshot you'll see the drive label is "W:\...". That is the mapped network drive.

Technically the videos can be hosted anywhere such as http, rtmp, etc.

In our situation we can build playlists on any computer since the interface for the plugin is a web app and all computers use the same mapped network drive for our NAS.

Once I have something more concrete I'll upload to a public repo in github with a demo so you can check it out.

bcoyle

Wow. It sounds like you have delivered on a lot of wishes. I've been working on my own. I'm a X visual basic, C++ programmer and of course thought I could do this faster than it's taking. I was a volunteer producer/camera guy for the local public access tv station DCCATV here in Minden Navada. It got defunded, which is sad. We filmed a lot of local talent that normally would not get coverage. We did community interviews etc. What was really sad was that we broadcast a lot of nevada history and I was afraid that that would get lost forever when things were trashed as station closed. So I inherited all the old content and am trying to establish a online version. Current streaming vlc directories in a random manner. But found that people really want to know when their favorite program is streaming, i.e. hogons hereos at 8pm. I noticed from your content a lot of bible videos. I'm streaming some of our churches sunday services on Sunday. You can find me on youtube - search for DCCATV.

Could you tell me a little about your code. Any suggestion would be appreciated. My flow is Visual Basic -> websocket- sharp ->obs_web_socket plugin -> OBS.

Would also like to hear about your station.

Thanks in Advance.

SDItoHDMI

Current features are just basic playlist building such as drag n drop video files, insert custom urls, import/export playlist. We can play/pause/stop/skip videos in the playlist while playing. Special "triggers" in the playlist to do certain things like adding logo or lower third.

We are a small broadcasting company with many hours of content so keeping it fresh is not a problem. All our videos are saved on a NAS connected to the local network. If you notice my screenshot you'll see the drive label is "W:\...". That is the mapped network drive.

In our situation we can build playlists on any computer since the interface for the plugin is a web app and all computers use the same mapped network drive for our NAS.

Once I have something more concrete I'll upload to a public repo in github with a demo so you can check it out.
Looking forward to the continued development of this, and I would hope it leads to something in master that we who do not have your level of coding skills could easily use. Keep it up!

bcoyle

Looking forward to the continued development of this, and I would hope it leads to something in master that we who do not have your level of coding skills could easily use. Keep it up!
Hi SDI to HDMI. Sounds like you are a camera guy. Our cameras at the church run SDI up to a hdmi converters before going into the switcher. LOL

tedbragg

Not sure if anyone is still interested in a 24/7 video playlist manager type plugin but I just finished a quick prototype. I will continue adding features and enhancements so let me know and I'll get make the plugin public.

View attachment 62083
I’m VERY interested! We’re putting together a local online tv station and need a schedulIng plugin. Also looking for a slideshow generator that can be dynamically updated. Lee thought PowerPoint could do it but—-yeah, we thought wrong :-)

bcoyle

I’m VERY interested! We’re putting together a local online tv station and need a schedulIng plugin. Also looking for a slideshow generator that can be dynamically updated. Lee thought PowerPoint could do it but—-yeah, we thought wrong :-)
Me too. Am trying to start the same thing. If I may ask, can I have some details about of your future TV Station. There is scheduling software out there, that you can buy. Don't know the price, but if you can generate sponsers, it might be the way to go. For Me, no sponsers and can't justify the expense.
I've found, probably like you, that whenever you start a slideshow, it never looks AGAIN in the directory to see new dropped in files.
Maybe I should start a group with individuals that have or are going to do a tv station. The idea being we share a common goal and maybe want to talk about the goal, i.e. the station itself. What do you think?
The simplest playlist would schedule a mp4 at 9.00Pm and at 9:28 when the mp4 is done to shedule your choice of a slide show to continue for 2 minutes to end at 9:30. I think if you did that and chose a different slide show each time and alternating between 2 different slideshows, one at 9:28 and a different one at 10:28, you could probable drop in new slide show jpegs and it would pick them up because it is reloading the directory info. Don't know if that would work, but easy enough to try.

SDItoHDMI

Is there a possibility that you could add automated pans and zooms over still images into what you've developed? One of the downsides of current OBS is (if I am not mistaken) the inability to throw a bunch of still images into a folder and have OBS not only cycle through those images but insert an automated pan and/or zoom to give life to the images so that something is moving on screen. I have looked for a plugin for it, but without success. If what you have coded does not have it, would it be possible to expand it to include images and automated pans and zooms on still images? I would SO love that!

SDItoHDMI

Hi SDI to HDMI. Sounds like you are a camera guy. Our cameras at the church run SDI up to a hdmi converters before going into the switcher. LOL
I did have SDI cables connected to a Blackmagic 1 M/E 4k switcher via SDI (if you are looking to buy a used one, I have not yet posted it to eBay), but the noise of the switcher was so much that I moved to the ATEM Mini Pro. That would sacrifice resolution, but I can then have physical switcher buttons right below frame and thus switch cameras without a viewer seeing me do so, and that does not require me to have the ATEM software control panel in focus nor use Companion software for getting commands to that switcher via a Stream Deck. I don't have a helper for ministry work that I do, so having those physical buttons right there at hand (and out of frame) for recording evangelistic videos would be important.

bcoyle

I did have SDI cables connected to a Blackmagic 1 M/E 4k switcher via SDI (if you are looking to buy a used one, I have not yet posted it to eBay), but the noise of the switcher was so much that I moved to the ATEM Mini Pro. That would sacrifice resolution, but I can then have physical switcher buttons right below frame and thus switch cameras without a viewer seeing me do so, and that does not require me to have the ATEM software control panel in focus nor use Companion software for getting commands to that switcher via a Stream Deck. I don't have a helper for ministry work that I do, so having those physical buttons right there at hand (and out of frame) for recording evangelistic videos would be important.
I just watched a video on atem-mini and it is awesome. Our church is fairly large enough to have 3x 4k cameras/SDI to a new switcher and 3 camera guys and a director. On Youtube, you can look for lifepoint church in minden nevada. One man shows are a hero's job. Isn't there some obs plugins that do panning,movement etc already available?

Tormy

Sorry for the delay folks. Been really busy with work so haven't had much time to circle back to this. Things will be calming down soon so I should have time to work on this again and get it published.
What you are doing is just great!
I would like to try it to see how much is closed to the automatic TV system, so that I can give some feedback.

bcoyle

What you are doing is just great!
I would like to try it to see how much is closed to the automatic TV system, so that I can give some feedback.
Hi Tormy
I'm working on something similar and would like your comment on what you think is automated tv. I.E. what is your dream list. It's much easier to design something in from the start. msschwartz is much further alone than me, but would still appreciate your input.

methodman120

A nice auto scheduler would be able to load the show (you select the files and import them) if there are multiple clips or episodes it would automatically sort them (in order, randomly, alphebetically, etc..). It would allow to insert commercials or other clips at set interval times or AUTO detect when a commercial is needed in the clip (such as when it fades to black) it can trigger the commercials to start playing at a desired time and for the duration of the time set. A way to add filler clips as well would be nice, so there would be something playing when there is no program to stream. Of course an option for lower thirds and to add a station "bug" on the side of the screen, such as on a timer and for a set duration (10 seconds, 1 minute, 5minutes,always displayed on that one particular clip so it is not displayed during commercials etc..) You can make the bugs from image files and video files. Perhaps another method is to have the ability to add bumpers, before and after breaks...so viewers know when your breaks start and end and go back to program.

bcoyle

A nice auto scheduler would be able to load the show (you select the files and import them) if there are multiple clips or episodes it would automatically sort them (in order, randomly, alphebetically, etc..). It would allow to insert commercials or other clips at set interval times or AUTO detect when a commercial is needed in the clip (such as when it fades to black) it can trigger the commercials to start playing at a desired time and for the duration of the time set. A way to add filler clips as well would be nice, so there would be something playing when there is no program to stream. Of course an option for lower thirds and to add a station "bug" on the side of the screen, such as on a timer and for a set duration (10 seconds, 1 minute, 5minutes,always displayed on that one particular clip so it is not displayed during commercials etc..) You can make the bugs from image files and video files. Perhaps another method is to have the ability to add bumpers, before and after breaks...so viewers know when your breaks start and end and go back to program.
Hi. See you are new. I'm also, maybe a month. If I may, can I ask if this is a goal of yours, i.e. you want to set up a iptv or are you just being helpful. I appreciate your answer either way. My background is I'm a retired engineer/programmer and a video producer at the local public access cable tv channel. It went defunct this last June. I have a lot of material that I am streaming right now. I determined that you need to have a scheduled version with a tv guide. That means your have to have a schedule at least a week out. I'm doing some of what you sugguested, but am trying to make it even more automatic. At the top level view, I want to be able to create models that contain the look and feel of a normal braodcast tv program. I want to be able to schedule ahead a week, to create programs automatically so that a series might be in a directory and it plays a different one each day of the week and automatically chooses from the series directory. It then fills in the rest using a timeline model with station bumpers, fills, psas, ads as desired. It would automatically create these programs. And if you didn't have enough programs scheduled for each day, it would automatically create and fill in the 1/2 and hour time slots. This is doable.

methodman120

Hi. See you are new. I'm also, maybe a month. If I may, can I ask if this is a goal of yours, i.e. you want to set up a iptv or are you just being helpful. I appreciate your answer either way. My background is I'm a retired engineer/programmer and a video producer at the local public access cable tv channel. It went defunct this last June. I have a lot of material that I am streaming right now. I determined that you need to have a scheduled version with a tv guide. That means your have to have a schedule at least a week out. I'm doing some of what you sugguested, but am trying to make it even more automatic. At the top level view, I want to be able to create models that contain the look and feel of a normal braodcast tv program. I want to be able to schedule ahead a week, to create programs automatically so that a series might be in a directory and it plays a different one each day of the week and automatically chooses from the series directory. It then fills in the rest using a timeline model with station bumpers, fills, psas, ads as desired. It would automatically create these programs. And if you didn't have enough programs scheduled for each day, it would automatically create and fill in the 1/2 and hour time slots. This is doable.

Hello, Yes I am new here as well, but have been lurking the forums awhile now. Yes this is a goal of mine if there is a way to make it available. Something user friendly if possible. Most people are not tech savvy and do not like doing multiple steps with various software, usually they get confused, frustrated and give up. Hopefully there can be a way the average person can have an IPTV channel they can watch, and share with others to watch on their tv's, computers,phones,etc... Something that can easily find or stream from an app like roku or similar that most people have. Again, 95% of users are not tech savvy and do not like all these various steps.

I can understand there may be some steps in order to run it and set it up...but the viewers want simplicity.

Right now only professionals and people with lots of money can create IPTV channels, but if this can be available to everyday users it would change the game, the way mp3 files changed music and optical media 20-22 years ago. What was very little know became a mainstream thing, and it happened within a few years to the point the big giants, such as Sony was not able to keep up and now they are no longer as relevant as they were.

Plex is another platform that is popular, but no longer supports M3U files, which would help people broadcast, they became greedy and did not see a profit in it so they removed that feature. As a result people are not using Plex as much. But if I want to stream my tv channel so my friends and family can watch it 24/7 whenever they want, they should be able to do that with todays technology!

bcoyle

Hello, Yes I am new here as well, but have been lurking the forums awhile now. Yes this is a goal of mine if there is a way to make it available. Something user friendly if possible. Most people are not tech savvy and do not like doing multiple steps with various software, usually they get confused, frustrated and give up. Hopefully there can be a way the average person can have an IPTV channel they can watch, and share with others to watch on their tv's, computers,phones,etc... Something that can easily find or stream from an app like roku or similar that most people have. Again, 95% of users are not tech savvy and do not like all these various steps.

I can understand there may be some steps in order to run it and set it up...but the viewers want simplicity.

Right now only professionals and people with lots of money can create IPTV channels, but if this can be available to everyday users it would change the game, the way mp3 files changed music and optical media 20-22 years ago. What was very little know became a mainstream thing, and it happened within a few years to the point the big giants, such as Sony was not able to keep up and now they are no longer as relevant as they were.

Plex is another platform that is popular, but no longer supports M3U files, which would help people broadcast, they became greedy and did not see a profit in it so they removed that feature. As a result people are not using Plex as much. But if I want to stream my tv channel so my friends and family can watch it 24/7 whenever they want, they should be able to do that with todays technology!
Yes, I'm finding that there is a core of developers that know what they are doing and non techies that just want to get things going, have there video blob etc. Do you think there is much of a demand for this type of programming. There isn't too many people that have 24/7 material. I can see schools and churches wanting this, but really haven't had too many people that seem interested in this. Are you a programmer? I've found that there is a lot of foundation work to be done before you can start on the really interesting stuff.

bcoyle

Yes, I'm finding that there is a core of developers that know what they are doing and non techies that just want to get things going, have there video blob etc. Do you think there is much of a demand for this type of programming. There isn't too many people that have 24/7 material. I can see schools and churches wanting this, but really haven't had too many people that seem interested in this. Are you a programmer? I've found that there is a lot of foundation work to be done before you can start on the really interesting stuff.
oh, if you want to see some of my material, i'm on youtube. search for DCCATV. That's short for douglas county public access tv. Just playing some nasa stuff. What do you want to stream?

methodman120

I am interested in this because I want to have access to my film and television library. I want others such as my family and friends to be able to have that access as well. I am not a programmer but have been reading various forums about these things. It started with me trying to find software that could easily do the job so my friends and family could watch my content on their tv's basically.

I also just saw your YouTube video channel, I noticed you have tv streaming live. Good religious content you provide! Is it run on a platform you created to automate the scheduling? I have not tried YouTube live yet, but I often see various users posting episodes of tv shows and movies on there live and wonder how they do it as they are not a network affiliate.