Bug Report Audio Stuttering

alhttabe

I am having an issue with audio stutters that is preventing me from using OBS-Studio. The issue does not occur on the old OBS.

The stutter sounds similar to a sample rate mismatch. The stutter is occurs at regular intervals and is consistent and occurs in both Advanced & Simple mode and for both mono & stereo settings.

I have tested with & without Quicktime/iTunes installed (using coreaudio-encoder & not).

I can provide a recording if required.

Video does not stutter, only Audio.

I've uploaded 2 logs, 1 in simple mode, 1 in mono. Both are 48k Mono Streams with the devices down mixing to mono. I can include a log from OBS Vanilla, where I don't have this issue.

Attachments

• 2015-07-15 18-33-49.txt
    10.5 KB · Views: 239
  • 2015-07-15 18-39-59.txt
    10 KB · Views: 71

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Yea, if possible, could you include a video of the issue?

I'll investigate further as well. I have to switch out my card anyway.

obsgyn

I'm running into the same problem. It sounds like a loose connection or even a limiter clamping down on the signal, but that isn't what's happening, because it sounds fine in other applications, like XSplit.

OBS MP 0.11.4 64bit
Windows 10
Mic: SM7B->Audient iD22 interface(->side-channeled into Warm Audio WA76 compressor)->PC

See attached log and video demonstrating the problem (35 second mp4 in the zip file).

Attachments

• obs_log.txt
    12.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 2015-08-22 09-56-02.zip
    458 KB · Views: 83

Roboserg

I am having the same problem. I am using VAC + Adobe Autition. Everything is OK in the old OBS, but in the new one I have audio problems - stuttering.

obsgyn

I've attached a new test video and log file to the bug, as well as to this message.

I note that the log file isn't able to load CoreAudioToolbox; a lot of modules complain of "required module function 'obs_module_load' in module [...] not found, loading of module failed"

Attachments

• 2015-08-26 11-39-33.txt
    14.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 2015-08-26 11-39-35.zip
    426.5 KB · Views: 48

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
CoreAudioToolbox failing is nothing to worry about, it just means you don't have the CoreAudio encoder installed (comes with iTunes). OBS decides to use the MediaFoundation encoder instead.

The log looks fine to me, I'm not sure what would be going on. I don't think it's a performance issue...I wonder if maybe it's an encoder thing?

I know this sounds like something you might not want to do, but could you try installing iTunes (or at least Quicktime) and try again with the CoreAudio encoder, in case it's an encoder issue? There isn't a way to switch encoders from the UI at the moment, unfortunately.

obsgyn

I don't see any version of QuickTime that will install on Windows 10. Only a version that installs on Vista and 7.

obsgyn

CoreAudioToolbox failing is nothing to worry about, it just means you don't have the CoreAudio encoder installed (comes with iTunes). OBS decides to use the MediaFoundation encoder instead.

The log looks fine to me, I'm not sure what would be going on. I don't think it's a performance issue...I wonder if maybe it's an encoder thing?

I know this sounds like something you might not want to do, but could you try installing iTunes (or at least Quicktime) and try again with the CoreAudio encoder, in case it's an encoder issue? There isn't a way to switch encoders from the UI at the moment, unfortunately.

I installed QuickTime 7.7.6 (7.7.7 and 7.7.8 do not install on Windows 10) and still ran into the same problem. Of course, since there doesn't seem to be an officially supported version of QuickTime for Windows 10 (or even Windows 8), so who knows if there's a fault with that.

obsgyn

Here you go. This is using QuickTime 7.7.6 (again, because 7.7.7 and 7.7.8 won't install on Windows 8, 8.1, or 10).

Attachments

• 2015-08-27 13-52-02.txt
    14.3 KB · Views: 59

obsgyn

Hmm, according to that log, it's not finding CoreAudio still. You might have to install iTunes proper.

This worked. Log attached.

So is CoreAudio new to OBS-Studio? It seems unlikely that it would have been distributed with previous versions of Windows and if it were distributed with OBS, it would probably be accessible to OBS-Studio, I presume? And presumably this is only temporarily the only option?

If CoreAudio is necessary, I'll go dig around and see if there's some way I can install just CoreAudio without the unwanted extraneous Apple software.

As a side note, it sounds like a lot of people are having similar audio problems to this which could be mitigated if somewhere during the install (or configuration section) it is mentioned that CoreAudio is needed and how to acquire it as I expect very few would have it, unless they're on OSX already.

Thanks and let me know if there's anything further I can do, diagnostically, to assist here.

Attachments

• 2015-08-27 14-46-27.txt
    14.7 KB · Views: 52

obsgyn

Alright, easiest solution:

1. Download iTunes from Apple: https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/
  2. Use 7Zip, WinRAR or other compression utility that will allow extracting a self-installing *.exe to extract the itunes installer into its own folder (right click the installer and select "extract to folder \itunes...."
  3. Run AppleApplicationSupport.msi or AppleApplicationSupport64.msi from that folder (just double click the file) to install just the basic iTunes support files, including CoreAudio (I'm not certain what else is installed, but it's far less than installing iTunes itself with all the hooks and updaters and mobile services and bonjour support, etc).

Now, instead of:

15:09:11.886: Loading module: coreaudio-encoder.dll
15:09:11.889: [CoreAudio encoder]: Failed loading library 'CoreAudioToolbox.dll'
15:09:11.889: [CoreAudio encoder]: Couldn't load CoreAudio AAC encoder​

We see:

15:16:19.386: Loading module: coreaudio-encoder.dll
15:16:19.394: [CoreAudio encoder]: Adding CoreAudio AAC encoder

Thanks for working through diagnosing this with me. I've tried to clarify the solution, so it will hopefully help others that seem to be running into this (well, presumably everyone on Windows that doesn't use iTunes...). I've also updated bug #291 as this clearly doesn't seem to be a "bug" so much as perhaps an "enhancement request" suggesting a clear warning/note be added somewhere in the interface (or at least the log) to make it very obvious to users what the deal is.

Thanks again.​

Last edited:

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
The CoreAudio encoder is new to OBS in OBS MP. OBS Classic used a different audio encoder that we can no longer use, so we've added support for a few encoders that hopefully have comparable quality, as the default FFmpeg AAC encoder is pretty bad. Since you didn't have the CoreAudio encoder installed, it was attempting to use the Media Foundation AAC encoder instead. For some reason, on your system, that encoder seemed to be performing poorly. I'm not sure why, and I'll let the guy who wrote it know.

obsgyn

The CoreAudio encoder is new to OBS in OBS MP. OBS Classic used a different audio encoder that we can no longer use, so we've added support for a few encoders that hopefully have comparable quality, as the default FFmpeg AAC encoder is pretty bad. Since you didn't have the CoreAudio encoder installed, it was attempting to use the Media Foundation AAC encoder instead. For some reason, on your system, that encoder seemed to be performing poorly. I'm not sure why, and I'll let the guy who wrote it know.

Thanks for the insight. Feel free to contact me if I can help with debugging the MFAAC encoder issue.