Bug Report Audio Popping/Crackling

wahaa

With 1001 Spikes, I think the issue is somehow related to Creative's OpenAL driver.

If someone who's experiencing the issue would like to try something, here's how to replace Creative's with an open-source software implementation -- if you try it, please report back!

1) Uninstall the official (Creative's) OpenAL.
2) Download an alternative version (OpenAL Soft) from http://kcat.strangesoft.net/openal-soft-1.15.1-bin.zip
3) From the zip, extract the file Win32\soft_oal.dll and rename it to openal32.dll
4) Copy/move this openal32.dll to the game's EXE folder, e.g. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\1001 Spikes", or directly to "C:\windows\SysWOW64" if you have more games that use OpenAL.

Daemonfox

With 1001 Spikes, I think the issue is somehow related to Creative's OpenAL driver.

If someone who's experiencing the issue would like to try something, here's how to replace Creative's with an open-source software implementation -- if you try it, please report back!

1) Uninstall the official (Creative's) OpenAL.
2) Download an alternative version (OpenAL Soft) from http://kcat.strangesoft.net/openal-soft-1.15.1-bin.zip
3) From the zip, extract the file Win32\soft_oal.dll and rename it to openal32.dll
4) Copy/move this openal32.dll to the game's EXE folder, e.g. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\1001 Spikes", or directly to "C:\windows\SysWOW64" if you have more games that use OpenAL.
Thanks for the advice I'll try it tomorrow and report back :)

paibox

heros in an halfshel
Ah, that would explain a thing or two. Creative's OpenAL DLLhas proven to be an issue in the past, where on Creative sound cards it would just skip Windows' audio subsystem entirely and output directly to the speakers resulting in OBS not being able to capture the audio. Will add this to the list of creepy things it does.

EIiitti

The alternate OpenAL doesn't fix the issue. Crackling still exists with the Blue microphones when recording 1001 Spikes. Please investigate this somehow and try to come up with a solution. This is a huge bother for a streamer who plays a lot of this game.

paibox

heros in an halfshel
Exactly how are we supposed to "come up with a solution"? As far as I can tell, this affects the mic's operation in all applications, not just in OBS. It's not like we made the game and can change how it works.

Dinotti

Can anybody help me?
I have problems with sound crackling and poping every once in while. I think there is some problems with usb power. Recently camera started to lag also. I tryed to rescale resolution of camera and it doesnt solve the problem. I have 3 usb hubson my laptop and when i use extra usb mainfold to have 4 devices it is only worse. Once i reinstall windows 8 and it helped, next time it didnt. I haveno clue, what to do, my stream is getting worse and worse. If i use my wirelles headphones sound just work and dont work like somebody is playing with volume buton If i use sound trough laptop speakers sound is crackling. If i use laptop camera picture is colapsing if i use my logitech c920 it lags. If you conect anything in usb it doesnt matter if its microphone or camera it immediately starts to pop and crack.
I think you got to work this out, because i see many of us has that kind of problems. Did you find any new solutions?
Please developers focus on this problem. Thank you

Last edited:

bama

I fixed the issue by double clicking the camera device. check the use output format and change it from I420 to MJPG. fixed the issue and i can have 1920x1080 with no issues

dTox

I fixed the issue by double clicking the camera device. check the use output format and change it from I420 to MJPG. fixed the issue and i can have 1920x1080 with no issues

This man. THIS MAN. Give him a cookie! This also rectified my crackling issue. Logitech C920.

Thank you!