Audio Monitoring In UI / Misc. Capture Card Stuff / Feedback

NovaWar

Hey guys,

First of all I'd just like to say how much I want to have your children for taking on this project. Myself and Jeff at LAGTV have been using Xsplit for our streams for a long time now and have run into headache after headache as the program seemingly gets worse and the devs are convinced it's always the user's fault. Having used OBS now to varying degrees I can say that it's damn near perfect to replace Xsplit entirely for the average user and will be heavily recommending it over Xsplit.

For my suggestion I think it would be beneficial to have the ability to see your sound levels on the primary and secondary audio bars of the UI. As it stands, you are kind of left to either load up your own stream and try and hear for sound levels or ask the stream audience for assistance.

I think I heard that sound for capture cards is currently being worked on which is great as I'm running a 2 PC set up with the Live Gamer HD in the stream box. Xsplit refused to save my crossbar settings to send audio and that's actually what finally pushed me to try OBS before it was further along in development.

In a similar vein I'm wondering if it's possible for OBS to capture stuff from the Live Gamer HD without having to use duplicate desktop on the capture card. As it stands, duplication simply leads to screen tearing on either the stream's end or my end depending on the duplication source I choose but I can't eliminate it on both unless I'm unaware of a solution.

Now for some other feedback that I'll put here and I'll check to see if it's been reported in the bugs section. Every hour or two the stream will randomly shut down for no reason. OBS doesn't crash, nothing else breaks, the stream just goes down and OBS reconnects after 10 seconds. Two things of note: One, the down time itself, and two, the fact that if OBS is left to reconnect on its own without a fresh restart of the program you can no longer see the preview of the stream -- all of the screens go black. The viewers still see everything but you're left in the dark.

Now that I'm on this thought train I suppose I might as well give some more suggestions. One would be to be able to test the connection at various bitrates to the TwitchTV servers. This was one of the few good features Xsplit has that I miss. Being able to see the current viewer count when streaming would also be useful.

That's all I've got for now. I'm sorry that ended up being so disorganized haha. Some of this stuff probably belongs in another part of the forum.

Again, I just want to say thanks for giving a truly great and viable alternative to Xsplit. It's gone without any competition for so long that they've basically stopped caring, and having this be free is the BEST competition as they'll be forced to come up with something truly special to make it worth the purchase. Carry on you glorious bastards!

NovaWar

Re: Audio Monitoring In UI / Misc. Capture Card Stuff / Feed

I'm a minor asshat for not having looked at the "currently working on" thread. I apologize for the duplicates from that.

Warchamp7

Forum Admin

Hey Nova, your one video where you brought up OBS got linked in the IRC the one day, great to see you here. Personal fan of LAGTV :)

I think it would be beneficial to have the ability to see your sound levels on the primary and secondary audio bars of the UI.

Yup, I've brought this up with Jim and it should make it's way in at some point. His next big project is tackling the audio systems to fix the lack of audio from capture cards, and take care of any other things people have wanted to see.

Your question regarding desktop duplication will have to be answered by someone else :P

Every hour or two the stream will randomly shut down for no reason.

You're not the first person to run into that and I'm not sure if the root of the problem has been found. The black preview problem afterwards though, is something I don't think I've heard yet.

One would be to be able to test the connection at various bitrates to the TwitchTV servers.

Some sort of bandwidth test I think is in the cards and viewer count is definitely something that's been requested a lot and will happen.

Glad you're happy with OBS, I know that's why I'm here. Cheers from a fellow Canadian.

NovaWar

Thanks for the quick reply! Haha yeah I've been harping on Xsplit pretty bad lately, and for good reason. It's a paid for program that's supposed to be the industry standard and they've been consistently breaking it more and more and blaming the user base for most of the issues. It finally got to the point where I snapped and will be fighting the good fight to convert people to OBS.

I'm glad to hear the audio with the capture cards is being done atm. I hope it's being done for dual PC set ups as well since it is ever so different than simply having the card in the came computer.

The screen tearing is really an issue on Microsofts end, and I'm no coder but I would have to imagine the guys at AverMedia should be able to compensate for it via their own software/drivers. Until then, that's why I posed the question if OBS can pick up the card in a dual pc set up any other way than duplication. Take out the duplication and there's no tearing :P

I'll be back here checking often to see when new things arrive! Let Jim know he's got another major player fighting in his corner! I'll be converting Jeff over once it's more stable as he's not quite as tech saavy as I am.

QQKachoo

It is so awesome to see a lot of streaming switching to this product (Destiny recently made the switch). Maybe seeing all of these people switching will force Xsplit to create a better product which will be good for those people who paid money for the program. I however am fully switching to this as it is open source so there is a better chance on getting things that you want added into the program. Thank you OBS team for being awesome!!

Bensam123

I renewed my sub right before I switched and I don't even care. When people don't have any options they're forced to pick the lesser of two evils and that was xsplit. Even though this is a pet project it seems like Jim cares a hell of a lot more then the entire Xsplit company does.

I can actually see some bigger projects eventually coming to pass over here too. I swear, I'll splooge all over the place if gpu assissted or lan encoding is added.

NovaWar

Ultimately I believe it would be a smart move to provide OBS free for everything up to 720p@30fps and then have a flat, one time fee for those who want 1080p+ with 60fps options.

It's always a hairy situation for open source projects and so it would have to be decided how money earned would be divided among contributors but it would certainly help keep those people going who spend so much time on the project.

Warchamp7

Forum Admin

The project is almost entirely done by Jim with some help from people like R1CH, muf and some others here and there (And as Jim would say, by the people giving their feedback and suggestions) so it's not that rough of a situation.

Jim has expressed multiple times he's not really in it for money, but he's accepting donations now strictly for the purposes of buying stuff that needs testing.

As well, muf's point below. I use HexChat for IRC, which is a free and slightly improved release of a paid, open source program called Xchat.

Muf

Forum Moderator

NovaWar said:
Ultimately I believe it would be a smart move to provide OBS free for everything up to 720p@30fps and then have a flat, one time fee for those who want 1080p+ with 60fps options.
It's always a hairy situation for open source projects and so it would have to be decided how money earned would be divided among contributors but it would certainly help keep those people going who spend so much time on the project.
It doesn't really work like that with an open source project. The whole concept of open source means the source code is available, and any limitations in resolution are going to be implemented in the code. Therefore, anyone with access to the source code can remove said limitations and provide a free unlimited version. Trying to hold on to tiered pricing is a much hairier situation in my opinion than just having a free project with voluntary donations for R&D purposes (buying capture cards, problematic hardware, etc). There also can't be any doubt who the hardware goes to; it will be the person developing the feature or bugfix in question.

NovaWar

Muf said:
It doesn't really work like that with an open source project. The whole concept of open source means the source code is available, and any limitations in resolution are going to be implemented in the code. Therefore, anyone with access to the source code can remove said limitations and provide a free unlimited version. Trying to hold on to tiered pricing is a much hairier situation in my opinion than just having a free project with voluntary donations for R&D purposes (buying capture cards, problematic hardware, etc). There also can't be any doubt who the hardware goes to; it will be the person developing the feature or bugfix in question.

Yeah this is true. I'm facing this same issue with my website where it is open source and controlled by one individual. I'm trying to figure out how to repay them for their work but it's difficult to put a price on each head, you know?

Bensam123

I think when you start charging for something you also have to start offering services for said project and support. As it stands right now Jim could just completely drop OBS and move on with his life (if he wanted). But if he's charging people money he's sorta chained to things. I sorta think that's what Nova was getting at too. Continued support over time. That's part of using Open Source software though. It's awesome when it works and it has a community to support it, but it can easily fall apart if people don't care anymore.

Donations are a good 'pay me what it's worth' ultimatum. If you really feel strongly enough you can donate, but donations have no strings attached.

I'm personally just happy that Jims doing so much for an area that really could use another option (streaming software). I try to give back by providing suggestions and feedback, since I'm not really a coder.