Question / Help Audio Latency

DavidJ10

Hi! I am hoping someone can help!

I am looking to use OBS for streaming playing guitar and singing! However I have Audio Latency coming from my microphone. There is a significant time difference from the audio source to the audio I'm hearing being monitored back. In this current state I would be able to stream anything.

I am using a desktop iMac
i5 processor
16gb Ram

Audio is being routed via a Behringer U-Phoria UMC22 interface.

Microphone is an AKG C214

I'm losing my mind trying to figure this problem out!

Narcogen

You need a hardware monitor upstream of OBS. OBS doesn't do zero latency monitoring-- once sound goes in there is always some delay getting it back out.

Or you can try a software solution like LineIn, and set it to monitor the guitar input on another device (presumably headphones).

DavidJ10

You need a hardware monitor upstream of OBS. OBS doesn't do zero latency monitoring-- once sound goes in there is always some delay getting it back out.

Or you can try a software solution like LineIn, and set it to monitor the guitar input on another device (presumably headphones).

Thanks for your reply!

Any chance you could elaborate a bit more on the hardware monitor upstream and how I would go about that?

Thanks in advance

Narcogen

I mean that the audio interface that you connect to both your instrument(s)/microphone(s) to one on end, and to your computer on the other, should have its own built-in facility to play its input back to you without depending on output from the computer.

For instance, this is the mixer I use:

It plugs into the PC via USB, to my microphone via XLR, and to my headphones with 1/8" stereo.

It can be used as a sound input and output device by Windows, but it can also just send the input from the microphone directly to the headphones connected by 1.8", and this works without sending the signal through Windows or windows software running on your computer, so it is zero latency.

brasspaul

^ That. You usually have the option of using the "software" monitoring feature in your application (whether it's OBS or an audio DAW for recording, but it uses more CPU and has latency, so usually the best practice is to turn that off ("monitor off" in OBS Advanced Audio settings), and use the headphone out directly from your audio interface.