Audio drops and all sources freezes for a moment

BuckyBunker

Heey all,

I've been streaming for 2 years and never experienced this before.
For some reason, this happened during my stream yesterday:

All sources started freezing and audio dropped completely.
After a few seconds everything was back to normal (except 1 cam, disabling and enabling it again solved it).
I'm using 2 goPro's with capture card and an older Logitech C920 (ish, could be 1 gen newer too).
I did replace my GPU yesterday (GTX 920 to new RTX 3060 ti) but this is a pretty huge upgrade so I'm not sure it's related?
My GPU drivers are up-to-date and everything (besides this freezing) runs extremely smoothly.
(Windows PC with a Ryzen 5 2600 and way too much RAM)

Does anyone have an idea what could have caused this freezing and audio drop?
The only thing that comes to my mind is that I was thermal throttling the CPU at that moment. I did some stress-tests to replicate the problem and did notice the CPU temp got up to 85C (the CPU's threshold). When it thermal throttled there wasn't any problem with freezing OBS sources or audio drops though..

Thanks in advance!!

I think youre right about it being thermal throttling could be core parking where certain cores arent being used while not under load. it doesn't seem like your using an amd gpu to stream so i doubt its frame skipping. it could be the process priority of obs. could be geforce experience or nvidia driver software is stealing focus from obs and you do have a lot running in the background so it could easily be one of those other projects used more cpu than you thought.

BuckyBunker

I think youre right about it being thermal throttling could be core parking where certain cores arent being used while not under load. it doesn't seem like your using an amd gpu to stream so i doubt its frame skipping. it could be the process priority of obs. could be geforce experience or nvidia driver software is stealing focus from obs and you do have a lot running in the background so it could easily be one of those other projects used more cpu than you thought.
Thanks for the reply!
Yeah I don't think it's frame skipping either because the sources reacted differently. Some sources froze milliseconds later.
I kinda hope it's the CPU temp because that's easy to fix. I'm doing another stream this evening and I'll give at shot prioritizing the OBS process while keeping an eye on both CPU and GPU temps + usages.
I'm indeed doing a lot of background things, mainly the VR screen on the top left in the example. VRChat uses a ton of both CPU and GPU but I never had this issue with my old graphics card.
Will reply again with the results this evening.
Thanks for the advise!

BuckyBunker

Update after my stream last night:
I monitored the CPU and GPU usage and temps closely during a 2 hour stream and noticed my CPU was running pretty high but temps were looking great.
After disabling 1 GoPro the CPU used way less.
Even with lower CPU and GPU usage (60%) and normal temps, OBS sources started freezing again. Mainly the other GoPro.
In the VOD I also noticed a lot of skipped frames, which is even worst then the freezing sources.
It's not like framedrops (where sound isn't effected) but it seems like the stream jumps ahead a couple of frames every now and then. (https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1565716059)
This could be a second issue I'm facing because I didn't had the extreme audio drop like I had in the original post.
Looks like this one is framerate / encoding related.
How on earth is upgrading the GPU such a hassle? NotLikeThis

Kraezy

Are you able to upload the log from yesterdays stream
Guide on how to to that in my signature.

Will help us more to identify any issues, rather than just conjecture.

BuckyBunker

I followed the instructions in the logs and went from 1 critical, 4 warnings and 3 info's to just 1 warning. (Multiple Game Captures)
This feature is amazing! I had quality issues that I never would have known.
The biggest things => Got rid of "Max Audio Buffering", "Capture interferences", "Rendering lag" and "GPU Encoder Overload"