Audio doubling with external mic + direct monitoring headphones

drben

Hi. I'm using OBS 25.0.8 on a Mac. I am using a Samson Q2U going into my Mac via a USB cable, and I've got headphones plugged directly into the SamsonQ2U. I am able to record properly, audio sounds great. But at all times I have doubled audio in my monitoring headphones. Hoping someone can help because my setup seems pretty good other than this. Hoping that someone can help me solve the audio doubling issue.

System Preferences > Sound
Input = Samson Q2U
Output = Samson Q2U

Audio mixer settings
"Monitor off" then I still hear double through monitoring headphones
"Monitor Only (mute output)" I still get double
"Monitor and Output" Now I get triple (ie what I say in real time, followed by 2 echos)
Screenshot 2020-09-23 at 18.31.41.png

Under Settings > Audio > Devices
I have disabled all of these. So I believe this avoids the common cause ie duplicated inputs
Screenshot 2020-09-23 at 18.34.40.png

FYI
I have two general situations that I use OBS for, offline recording for uploading to YouTube and Live broadcasting through Video chat. When I am in the offline recording context I have 0ms sync offset but there is still a very clear audio doubling.
When I use OBS in my live video chat context I have had to add a large 370ms sync offset in order for the audio to wait for my Nikon DSLR vide feed to come through the camera (and Elgato 4k camlink). When I do this I still get the audio doubling, but the gap between the realtime monitoring of what I'm saying and the doubled audio is notably more delayed.

drben

[SOLVED] The problem was caused by the NDI software I am using to route my audio and video into chat software (Teams, Zoom, etc). The audio doubling problem was solved by going to NDI NewTech Video Monitor > Tools > Mute. This stopped the audio doubling but does not block all the audio coming out of OBS via NDI to the video chat app.