Audio Anomaly inserting old audio into middle of new file

GTjamone

In the 12 years since I started my company, I've experienced the oddest problem yet when recording with OBS. I own a large legal video company in Georgia and we use OBS to record remote depositions, but myself and my videographers are experiencing an absolutely crazy audio anomaly in our resulting recordings.

Here's what is happening. We record one deposition one day, and then another the next day. Everything is fine live during the depositions. However, on the second day's recording, about 46 minutes into the recording (in this example), about 20 seconds of audio from the beginning of the PREVIOUS day's deposition recording starts to play ON TOP of the live audio. This does not actually happen during the videoconference itself; it is only on the resulting recording. This has happened on different computers with different videographers. This is a dire emergency of a problem, as my company could get sued for inserting speech audio into a deposition which DID NOT HAPPEN and is not on the official record! We have caught it a few times so far, but we don't know how often it is happening since we can't re-watch hours of a recording to see if it happened every day.

Does anyone have any insight or has this happened to anyone else?? The most recent example of this was just discovered on a deposition recorded Feb. 24, 2021, so I don't have a log file to accompany this post. Since the issue seems totally random, its hard to catch it right after it happens.

GTjamone

I believe we have gotten to the bottom of this issue. It's possible this was user error. I won't go into an explanation because its somewhat complicated.