ATEM Mini with OBS audio/video issues

quoole

So I have been having ongoing issues with using the Blackmagic ATEM Mini with OBS.

My first problem was that the video feed in would actually stutter/lag intermittently (sometimes very intermittently and sometimes more or less constantly.)
I fixed this by enabling the buffer setting within OBS, but this lead to the audio losing sync, but very inconsistently.
My context is within a church, and we've done a mix of pre-recorded sermons (using OBS) and live streaming sermons (also using OBS) - if we were recording then this has been fine, but in livestreaming when we have pre-recorded content before hand (music or a kids story or whatever) then when we get to the sermon the sync is lost. But the sync difference seems consistent (ie when editing it, I can move the audio track back a few frames and it will remain synced for the whole 30minute message.)
I've noticed this same behaviour if OBS had been open for some time before we record.

In terms of what we're doing, we're using two BMPCC4Ks at UHD 25fps into an ATEM mini (not pro) on two high speed HDMI cables (they're rated for 4K 60fps.) We're then using a OnePlus USB-C to USB-A cable to go into the computer.
I don't think it's a computer related issue - we've generally used my HP-X360 (Ryzen 5, 6 c/t, 8gb ram) but we've also tried on a desktop with a Ryzen 7 (8/16), 32gb ram and GTX-1050 and had exactly the same results.

Both the ATEM Mini and OBS are set to use 25fps in Full HD. And OBS is streaming at 6000kbps.

This behaviour also seems limited to OBS, as I've had it work fine on zoom. And the HDMI feed out from the desk also seems fine (I did consider that a way around this, might be to use that with a capture card, but I do use that feed as a preview monitor, which is very helpful when cutting.)

Attachments

• 2020-12-20 09-04-47.txt
    33.6 KB · Views: 292

quoole

In terms of what we've tried:
As mentioned, we've tried two different computers - both with USB 3 ports. And also as mentioned, this behaviour only seems to happen in OBS rather than in other applications like Zoom - so I think the USB cable itself is ok.

We've tried putting the ATEM on a cooling pad.

I've seen it suggested that we match resolution/frame rate - the cameras, atem and OBS are all set to 25fps and I'd rather not lower the resolution on the cameras as we also record in BRAW and BRAW does cropped sensor at FHD. (I'm not actually sure you even got the option to use prores when they're hooked up to the ATEM, but I might be wrong.)
And yes, we've tried without the cameras recording and that didn't affect it.

I also had some success one week, with running the audio through a camera rather than through the ATEM itself but this didn't work this last week.

Within OBS itself, I've tried both bringing the audio in on the video capture device and separately on an audio input capture, but this made no difference.

The Elder Tree

Did you ever solve this issue? I'm having a similar problem with the Atem Mini Pro into OBS and finding intermittent video jitter, particularly noticeable when someone walks across the frame. All sources and framerates seem to be in sync and the 'clean' hdmi out from the ATEM also has no issues, so looks like it's something in the OBS configuration.

mpowers2000

I am having jitter issues using the ATEM Mini and the ATEM ISO. Just as described above. When things move horizontally, it looks like frames are dropped. I have a new gaming computer that's totally devoted to OBS video recording. I'm not running a game at the same time. I have an NVidia card that does the heavy lifting. I just can't find a configuration that stops this jitter. I'm running as administrator and also jacked up the priority of OBS. It's the only application that's running. Windows 10, 16 G Ram, new NVidia card. I'm using two cameras into separate USB 3.0 ports. I'd like to use a third camera but the jitter won't go away with two cameras. I'd love to fix this problem.

Jus427

Did you ever solve this issue? I'm having a similar problem with the Atem Mini Pro into OBS and finding intermittent video jitter, particularly noticeable when someone walks across the frame. All sources and framerates seem to be in sync and the 'clean' hdmi out from the ATEM also has no issues, so looks like it's something in the OBS configuration.
Did someone solve the problem no one is replying to it. I have the same issue only at 50pfs

raffaelg

I have the same problem with both my ATEM Mini Pro and OBS and different computers.

Solutions so far:
  • Activate the buffering
  • Re-connect the USB cable just before streaming and briefly disable the video source in OBS and re-enable it.
It seems to me that then the buffer is emptied and so there is a shorter latency.

I am still testing though....

DSalt

May not be a direct solution to your problem, but I had issues of glitches today testing an ATEM mini... semi-solved when I realised it only happens if I have ATEM Software Control open at the same time as OBS (or other switching software). As soon as I close the software the signal coming into OBS is clean. Seems there's some issue when trying to send signals both ways... apparently on the blackmagic forums a USB driver update can fix issues as well... yet to test that.

Charles Lee

I'm having the exact problem, random stutter/jitter video with Atem mini to OBS at 25p and 50p. It can run perfectly smooth for awhile before the stutter appears agin. No skipped frame and frame missed in the stats window and CPU usage is low at 8%. All the settings are matched correctly, and it doesn't matter whether I set everything to 720p or 1080p, the problem persists. The stutter appears in the OBS preview/program window, recording and the live stream.

The problem seem exclusive to just OBS as the same Usb C connection from Atem Mini to Zoom or Wirecast Pro doesn't have this stutter issue. Any solution from you guys yet? I'm on OSX Mojave, OBS 26.1.2

Gabemaru

May not be a direct solution to your problem, but I had issues of glitches today testing an ATEM mini... semi-solved when I realised it only happens if I have ATEM Software Control open at the same time as OBS (or other switching software). As soon as I close the software the signal coming into OBS is clean. Seems there's some issue when trying to send signals both ways... apparently on the blackmagic forums a USB driver update can fix issues as well... yet to test that.

I found this same thing to be the issue. On top of that I just can't seem to stream/record in 24p on obs, something just happens on both my elgato and the atem so it causes some weird laggy stuff (as soon as I put evertything on 30p it's fine, OBS just doesn't like 24) for me.
HOWEVER I digress, the main issue I have is with the software control open.

Has anyone tried this solution about updating drivers? Which drivers btw :D

LotsOKids

I have contacted Blackmagic about the USB video glitching issue. I found that the issue happens when ATEM Software Control is running and controlling the Atem Mini over USB. If you connect the Software Control to the Mini through Ethernet using IP BEFORE connecting the USB cable then the USB audio and video is clean.

Muso

Make sure in OBS that you use something like 1080p rather than 1080i ... interlaced apparently messes things up ... not sure about 4k

maybe just stick to 1080p, 99% won't even know the difference

samking13245

Same problem, thought it was the HMDI cable but the video pass-through on the ATEM does not show it. It affects zoom and OBS for me. Short video of glitch attached, is this the same problem you are having?

Turning on the video buffering helps

Still got glitches (1 every 2 – 3 minutes)

Is there a good fix?

Thanks in advance

LotsOKids

Same problem, thought it was the HMDI cable but the video pass-through on the ATEM does not show it. It affects zoom and OBS for me. Short video of glitch attached, is this the same problem you are having?

Is there a good fix?

Thanks in advance

It's the exact same issue I am having. The only solution I have right now is to connect ATEM Software Control to the Mini through IP before connecting the USB cable.

LotsOKids

Is there a good fix?

Thanks in advance
Was this happening in Windows or Mac?

anthonynewett

I’m having the same problem, and it’s really problematic at times. OBS is the only thing running. Frame rates and resolution are all matching. I’m using USB C. There are no dropped frames in stats, yet the preview window in OBS, recordings and the stream all show the same symptoms. If I enable buffering, it helps a lot, but as the buffer fills, there’s a drift in the synchronization with audio, as the video progressively accrues more latency. So that’s not really an option for a 1.5 hour church service. I switched to MPEG in the ATEM source properties. It seems to have helped a bit, but it still does it, but it seems less drastic. SOMEONE has to have a reasonable answer to this problem, as it appears many are experiencing it.

syvtr

I’m having the same problem, and it’s really problematic at times. OBS is the only thing running. Frame rates and resolution are all matching. I’m using USB C. There are no dropped frames in stats, yet the preview window in OBS, recordings and the stream all show the same symptoms. If I enable buffering, it helps a lot, but as the buffer fills, there’s a drift in the synchronization with audio, as the video progressively accrues more latency. So that’s not really an option for a 1.5 hour church service. I switched to MPEG in the ATEM source properties. It seems to have helped a bit, but it still does it, but it seems less drastic. SOMEONE has to have a reasonable answer to this problem, as it appears many are experiencing it.

Hey, did you find any fix please? I'm having the same issue and never found how to deal with it

anthonynewett

Hey, did you find any fix please? I'm having the same issue and never found how to deal with it

No, I wish... It seems to be a resource issue. If I reboot the computer right before we start the live stream, it improves... but it eventually starts doing it again about 15 minutes in. Let me know if you make any discoveries on your end. Thanks! -Anthony

Jimmybuckrogers

I seem to have fixed my stuttery video by setting the Atem to 50fps. My camera is 25fps, OBS is 25fps but setting the Atem to 25fps caused the issue, changing it to 50 really smoothed it out. Is it because the camera and OBS are in 'Progressive' whilst the Atem is 'Interlaced'?