"Application Audio Capture" not working with Windows Phone Link (phone calls on PC) on OBS

SDadzdw

Hello!

I'm trying to record audio from the phone calls I do on my PC (through the Windows Phone Link program) but it doesn't seem to work. I'm trying to do it with the "Application Audio Capture" option because I just want to record the phone calls, NOT the Desktop/Headset audio (since I like listening to music on Spotify and I don't want that music to be on the recordings).

The Windows Phone Link program has two linkable windows for the Application Audio Capture option: "PhoneExperienceHost.exe" which is the program itself and "CallingShellApp.exe" which is a sort of window to manage phone calls (hang up option, mute option, call timer, etc...) that only appears when these calls get redirected from the mobile phone to the Computer.

My problem is none of those two windows seem to work. I've tried with both and OBS is not capturing audio from either one. I honestly don't know how to fix it, since the "Application Audio Capture" option is working just fine with other programs such as Spotify and recording Desktop/Headset obviously captures the phone calls audio.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

SDadzdw

Hello!

I'm trying to record audio from the phone calls I do on my PC (through the Windows Phone Link program) but it doesn't seem to work. I'm trying to do it with the "Application Audio Capture" option because I just want to record the phone calls, NOT the Desktop/Headset audio (since I like listening to music on Spotify and I don't want that music to be on the recordings).

The Windows Phone Link program has two linkable windows for the Application Audio Capture option: "PhoneExperienceHost.exe" which is the program itself and "CallingShellApp.exe" which is a sort of window to manage phone calls (hang up option, mute option, call timer, etc...) that only appears when these calls get redirected from the mobile phone to the Computer.

My problem is none of those two windows seem to work. I've tried with both and OBS is not capturing audio from either one. I honestly don't know how to fix it, since the "Application Audio Capture" option is working just fine with other programs such as Spotify and recording Desktop/Headset obviously captures the phone calls audio.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be?
1708460125657.png

1708460133290.png

These are the two windows I'm referring to.

SDadzdw

If anyone knows what the problem might be, please let me know. I'm sure more people are experiencing a similar a issue.

saltyd

Do you see any level movement in the audio mixer for the application audio source? If so, OBs is receiving the audio but your source but you may not have the source set to monitor and/or output. If not, obs isn't getting the audio.

If OBS is receiving the audio...

- Click edit in OBS, advanced audio properties. Find the application audio source... change the "audio monitoring" dropdown menu to "Monitor and output".

Also make sure you have monitoring enabled in OBS. Click on the settings button in OBS. Select "audio" on the left side. On the right side, under "advanced" = make sure you have a source set to hear the sound from OBS.

If OBS isn't receiving the audio...

Try this. In the windows search bar, enter "Sound Mixer Options" (while OBS and the phone app are running). Look for these two and see where they are sending the sound output. Make sure the audio from the programs are going to a source that OBS is monitoring.

Hope that helps!

SDadzdw

Do you see any level movement in the audio mixer for the application audio source? If so, OBs is receiving the audio but your source but you may not have the source set to monitor and/or output. If not, obs isn't getting the audio.

If OBS is receiving the audio...

- Click edit in OBS, advanced audio properties. Find the application audio source... change the "audio monitoring" dropdown menu to "Monitor and output".

Also make sure you have monitoring enabled in OBS. Click on the settings button in OBS. Select "audio" on the left side. On the right side, under "advanced" = make sure you have a source set to hear the sound from OBS.

If OBS isn't receiving the audio...

Try this. In the windows search bar, enter "Sound Mixer Options" (while OBS and the phone app are running). Look for these two and see where they are sending the sound output. Make sure the audio from the programs are going to a source that OBS is monitoring.

Hope that helps!
First of all, thank you for the help! The windows audio mixer is indeed showing level movement in both the program itself and OBS when I do a phone call. I tried changing the application audio source to "monitor and output" but it unfortunately still didn't change anything. I also made sure I set the monitoring device to the same one I'm using for the Windows Phone Link app, but nothing.