Anytime I open up OBS my mouse and keyboard lag (Typing, and jumpy mouse)

KristianT

For anyone who is experiencing this problem, I managed to solve it - for myself at least.

I was using OBS on an M1 Macbook Pro (2021) - MacOS Sonoma. I experienced very heavy lagging on keyboard and mouse input whenever I had the Noise Gate filter enabled on my Mic/Aux input.

I had been experimenting with using the Noise Gate and Noise Suppression filters to try and remove some air conditioning humm in the background of my room - however, it seems that having these filters enabled is chewing up too much computing power with something like an off-the-shelf Macbook Pro. Perhaps you need a proper gaming rig with serious hardware to be running live filters.

When I disable all of my audio filters, I get absolutely no lag with the keyboard and mouse input. When I enable Noise Gate and Noise Suppression again, the lag returns.

KristianT

For anyone who is experiencing this problem, I managed to solve it - for myself at least.

I was using OBS on an M1 Macbook Pro (2021) - MacOS Sonoma. I experienced very heavy lagging on keyboard and mouse input whenever I had the Noise Gate filter enabled on my Mic/Aux input.

I had been experimenting with using the Noise Gate and Noise Suppression filters to try and remove some air conditioning humm in the background of my room - however, it seems that having these filters enabled is chewing up too much computing power with something like an off-the-shelf Macbook Pro. Perhaps you need a proper gaming rig with serious hardware to be running live filters.

When I disable all of my audio filters, I get absolutely no lag with the keyboard and mouse input. When I enable Noise Gate and Noise Suppression again, the lag returns.

Sorry, to follow up on my previous message - I seem to have the keyboard and mouse lag again. The suggested fix that I posted above did NOT work in the end. It may have been a weird coincidence. I am now once again getting very bad keyboard and mouse lag, even with all audio and video filters disabled / deleted.

KristianT

Ok - this could potentially be another red herring, but I was getting the mouse lag really bad today after recording many short test clips as I was playing around with some settings. It got to the point where opening OBS would make my mouse super laggy and unusable.

I simply restarted my machine, and things seemed to go back to normal and I can record normally again now.

Again, not sure if this is a red herring, or onto something. Could there be some sort of memory leak or something in the software, where having it open for long periods of time causes this lag issue (might be specific to Apple Silicon as well?). Anyhow, whenever I come across this issue now I just restart my mac and it seems to fix the issue so you can record normally again, for a while at least.

dragonade30

Hey everyone! I just saw this problem on my own setup, and found the exact source of the problem (literally and figuratively).

As everyone who experienced the problem explained, the symptom is that the keyboard's input seems to lag for some reason. If you start trying to type somewhere, it seemingly takes a while for the input to register and for the letters to appears in the textbox you're trying to type in (whether it's Discord, or the search bar in your favorite browser).

Through a series of trial and error or removing and deactivating certain sources in my scenes, I found out that whenever the Nvidia Broadcast Camera was on and filtering out the background, the symptom returned. As soon as I turned it off, the problem was gone. So MAYBE it's a CPU issue, but I have a very strong CPU, and never had this issue until today (though the last time I opened OBS was back in December 2023).

Those of you still seeing this problem, try enabling/deactivating (and make sure you deactivate, not just make invisible in your scene) the Nvidia Broadcast sources you may be using for your facecam. If you were not using it, maybe try turning off the other Nvidia Broadcast features? And if you're not using that either, I definitely recommend enabling/deactivating all your sources one at a time to isolate the issue.