AMD GPU recording!!!!!

shaNker

Ok, first off let me say this software is AWESOME!!!! I have nothing but appreciation for everyone who has made this software possible and contributed to it. I am still in awe at how awesome this software is!!! THANK YOU FOR THIS!!!!

Now I know some people have asked about making it so that you can use the GPU to record with AMD cards but thus far that support has not been written by anyone. So... I have a method to share that can do GPU recording via the AMD GPU using the OBS software HOWEVER OBS does NOT do the recording but rather FEEDS the video to the app that DOES!! :D :D :D

Ok, there is where it gets AWESOMEr (for AMD users)!!!!!
You can use BANDICAM to record the OBS preview screen!!!!!!!!!!!!! It works great!!!! I have done many tests. Long story short here is what I've found to be the best way and capture the entire 1080p output!!! I did this test with minecraft and my webcam for adding a facecam!!! WOOOOT! :D :D :D

Now Bandicam will record up to 10 minutes with the Bandicam watermark using the unregistered version but can still use the GPU!!!

1. Set up BANDICAM to use AMD APP for the video recording, that's the GPU recording.
2. Set OBS up with the scene you want. NOTE: Make sure you check "Disable encoding while previewing" under SETTINGS -> ADVANCED.
3. Run "always-on-top.exe" (or similar software) which will be needed to keep your game window on top of the full screen streaming preview. (Download it here)
4. Launch your game in a windowed mode, for example I launch Minecraft. Then in a windowed mode press Ctrl-Space so that the app "always-on-top" makes it stay on top.
5. Click on PREVIEW STREAM in the OBS application.
6. RIGHT CLICK on the preview screen and click on FULL SCREEN PREVIEW MODE.
7. Now press F12 (Bandicam's default START CAPTURE hotkey so make sure to disable any similar hotkeys in OBS) to start the capture!! (you have to press F12 while the preview screen is in focus for Bandicam to start capturing THAT screen, then after you switch to your game it will STILL be recording the output of the preview window)
8. Alt-tab to your game, in my case MINECRAFT.
9. You'll need to press Ctrl-Space AGAIN in order to make your mouse capture the window and be able to interact with the game after you make it go full screen (in the case of Minecraft, I went video settings, options, FULL SCREEN ON). Now go ahead and play and have fun!!!!

Please note that I love this OBS software!!!!!!! I imagine that in DUE TIME someone will probably come along and incorporate GPU recording for AMD GPUs. In the meantime this is a great work around!!!!

A few notes!!!!
If you're having problems getting a game to go to the foreground (because of the full screen OBS preview) and be able to interact with it with your mouse, as I've only tried Minecraft thus far, another alternative is instead of right clicking on the preview stream and setting it to FULL SCREEN view, simply right click on the preview screen, then go to PREVIEW, then take the checkmark off of ENABLE CONTROL PANEL, then you can simply press F12 while the focus is on the preview screen to have BANDICAM start recording that, then simply alt-tab into your game from there. Another thing to note about this is that if you have 1:1 mode selected under PREVIEW when right clicking on the preview window, some of the top and bottom of the game will be cut off, it's nothing major but just an FYI. However, if you select SCALE TO FIT MODE, the recording will record the whole screen of the game but slightly scale it down to fit the windowed preview and will have small white bars on the left and right to do so but this is still not a big deal. Also when recording in this alternative/non-full screen preview method the recording area will actually be 1920 X 1038. If you want to force the recording to resize this to 1920 X 1080 you can simply select that as the recording size in Bandicam! Hope this helps. Have fun!! I love these two apps!!! Thanks again guys!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

I get rather good recordings using OBS without Bandicam, however I get no artifacting when I record using my GPU via Bandicam and even when I crank my bitrate up to like 95Mbps in OBS I still get artifacts, but I have my encoder settings set to the fastest setting. If I go a couple down from that I get lag on my game. So using my GPU I get no noticable lag, and great quality artifact free videos ;)

Also I just do local recordings and upload them to YouTube for my own enjoyment. This thread would be totally irrelevant to anyone looking to do a live broadcast.

Last edited:

Boildown

Pretty sure the Preview Mode has the same CPU hit as the regular recording or streaming modes, so I don't see the benefit. The whole idea behind GPU encoding is to remove the burden from the CPU, and I don't see how this does that.

shaNker

Oh yeah you have to disable encoding during preview in the settings. I'm at work right now and don't remember exactly where but you're right your CPU will still get hit unless you disable encoding during preview!

I updated the instructions in the OP to include turning off encoding during preview.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lunerio

Well.. Nothing for me as a 6970 user. But thank you anyways, the whole idea sounds very good.
AMD APP does only work with GCN graphics (HD 7700 and higher, R7, R9)...

shaNker

Dude, jackun, how awesome are you?!!! This is cool. I am having some issues however with this. Even when I tried the VFW VCE codec I had this issue. I get a green line about maybe 8 pixels in height at the bottom of my videos? Not sure why that would be.

Also, something I just noticed is that I get serious frame tearing. Maybe I'll have to limit my Minecraft to 30fps? Don't know why but when I did my captures using Bandicam as I mentioned in my method above I didn't get any frame tears... weird.. having said that, GREAT JOB!!! This is killer!!! This opens the door!!!! :D :D :D :D