After update, OBS only detects secondary monitor (twice)...but reads as primary?

tnpir4002

I know the thread title doesn't make sense, but after updating from the last version, OBS suddenly doesn't detect my primary monitor. Instead, when I bring up display capture, the dropdown has two entries...for the same monitor. "Primary" is beside one of them, but neither one picks up my primary display. When I go through Windows settings and disable the secondary monitor, OBS does pick up the primary like it's supposed to, but the instant I re-enable the second monitor, OBS goes back to only picking up the secondary.

Has anyone else run into this? I'm running a geForce RTX 2080, and this particular system doesn't have an integrated GPU, so I'm at a loss for how to even diagnose this problem.

deFrisselle

Please post an OBS log from a stream or recording That will show what OBS is doing plus how and what monitors are being identified

tnpir4002

Here you go. I also threw in a screenshot showing what I was seeing in OBS itself for the display capture settings. Like I said, it's seeing my second monitor twice (and it's listed once as my primary monitor, which my display settings confirm is incorrect).

Attachments

• 2023-03-07.jpg
    2023-03-07.jpg
    358.4 KB · Views: 95
  • 2023-03-07 06-36-24.txt
    20.2 KB · Views: 58

rockbottom

There are a couple of threads on this on Github.

One suggestion is to try deleting your Display Capture sources & adding new.

khaver

If both your monitors are the same model, this may be similar to the problem with using multiple webcams of the same model. OBS may be using the names to differentiate sources. Another possibility, do you have your displays set in your GPU settings to "span" the desktop between both monitors instead of "extending"?

tnpir4002

Actually, my setup is a single super-ultrawide with dual inputs (so I suppose you could say they're the same model), but they're separate outputs from my GPU, and OBS never had any difficulty telling them apart before. In any event, changing what's selected in the dropdown has no effect--no matter what's selected, OBS shows the exact same thing.

And my display settings expressly say "extend," not "span."

khaver

It must be that that the newer versions of OBS are differentiating displays differently than previous versions.

rockbottom

Correct. Both having the same name is more than likely the issue. Might need to rollback & wait for the next update or try one of the nightly builds.

Harold

What happens if you change the display capture method to the windows 10 method instead of DXGI?

tnpir4002

Correct. Both having the same name is more than likely the issue. Might need to rollback & wait for the next update or try one of the nightly builds.
I didn't know there were nightly builds; link me?

Forgot to mention, disable HAGS.
Didn't even occur to me that could cause issues with OBS, I'll give that a go.

What happens if you change the display capture method to the windows 10 method instead of DXGI?
Nothing changes.

tnpir4002

Make sure all displays are scaled @ 100%.
They are. Magnification doesn't impact this though, I have a 4K TV connected to this same tower, and when I enabled it, it was set to 175% and displayed with no problem at all. (Yes it was way larger than my 1080p canvas but that's an easy problem to solve.)

rockbottom

Just checking all the boxes.

I assume using the HDMI input is only for the entire 3840x1080? I'm not downloading your manual...

tnpir4002

Just checking all the boxes.

I assume using the HDMI input is only for the entire 3840x1080? I'm not downloading your manual...
Assume that I've tried all the basic steps and even a few intermediate ones. If I'm here it's because none of those did anything. Among things I've tried:
(1) Completely removing and clean-installing my GPU driver
(2) Completely removing and clean-installing OBS
(3) Attempting to remove and manually re-add my Display Capture Sources

And bear in mind, none of these problems existed before the OBS upgrade, so let's please concentrate on OBS-centric fixes. I've already ruled out everything else, but OBS I don't know. So let's dispense with "checking all the boxes" shall we?

To answer your question, my GPU has two full-size DisplayPort outputs, and I have both of them hooked up to the ultrawide, with the monitor splitting its 5120x1440 space into two 2560x1440 screens, one for each input.

rockbottom

One of the Ultrawides I briefly looked at has a HDMI input as well as (2) DP, not sure if your does too. The specs don't give more info other than they exist. If possible, I thought it might be worth a shot to use the HDMI for one of the displays instead of DP for both. Might ID the display differently.

tnpir4002

This one does have an HDMI input (and my GPU does also have an HDMI output that works), but it's not practical for me to switch the monitor over to HDMI. For what I do I need consistent colors and the color gamut on HDMI is notably different from DP no matter what settings I use.