Question / Help Advice on custom settings and white wash issue???

someguy133

Avisynth & MeGUI are far better than handbrake.
can you give me a paragraph explaining why and what it is :D

You seem knowledgeable so i'll gladly accept any opinions from you and appreciate them!

eventually i figure i'll make a good guide on how to make quality lossless/near lossless lossy recordings since there seems to be a lacking of guides on this topic

Also you said you had issues with NVENC lossless recordings too. What settings did you use? I am going to tinker with settings but your past experience will save me a lot of effort.

I sincerely plan on making a complete guide on this for future people to follow to save them time

Last edited:

DeMoN

http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Main_Page
and MeGUI is a much better x264 GUI than handbrake is. You make an avisynth script and this you give to MeGUI. Its a bit more technical but very powerful and supports everything.

In your case I would use CQP 1 and 4:2:0 for the capture. helps the compatibility a lot.
Or switch to an VfW Capture program and use a dedicated lossless codec like MagicYUV, UTVideo etc (DXTory, MSI Afterburner etc, the usual traditional tools)

to explain Avisynth and MeGUI in Detail is a bit complicated with english not being the native language by me..

someguy133

http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Main_Page
and MeGUI is a much better x264 GUI than handbrake is. You make an avisynth script and this you give to MeGUI. Its a bit more technical but very powerful and supports everything.

In your case I would use CQP 1 and 4:2:0 for the capture. helps the compatibility a lot.
Or switch to an VfW Capture program and use a dedicated lossless codec like MagicYUV, UTVideo etc (DXTory, MSI Afterburner etc, the usual traditional tools)

to explain Avisynth and MeGUI in Detail is a bit complicated with english not being the native language by me..
So you recommend using afterburner to record lossless or dxtory over OBS and enccode using avissynth with MeGUI?

someguy133

yes, but you need to use these tools right and this is a bit difficult via a forum and not german.
DXtory is 35 bucks :/ It seems really damn good though.

Looking at afterburner first. What settings would you use if you used afterburner?

This is what I have set.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2vo4tqzyd852ksn/afterburner settings.png?dl=0

Any advice? I have full frame uncompressed selected in the "..." config box. There are other setting slike intel YUV and stuff.
EDIT: Well for VFW full frame uncompressed doesnt work says i need to select something else like MS RLE, MS video 1, Intel IYUV codec, Cinpak codec, fraps video decompressor, Riva Tuner codec.

I can't move slider to 100% though. It is stuck at 85% for some reason. (Ah, the % thing is an mpeg control setting so not relevant to VFW)

Last edited:

DeMoN

Install a lossless codec. For example MagicYUV or UTVideo.
And VfW please in AVI. not MKV.
I would use the dedicated encoder server and switch at RTSS to 64bit, so that it uses the 64bit encoder of the codecs.

someguy133

Install a lossless codec. For example MagicYUV or UTVideo.
And VfW please in AVI. not MKV.
I would use the dedicated encoder server and switch at RTSS to 64bit, so that it uses the 64bit encoder of the codecs.
ah I see. I'll use UTVideo since it is free :D

And what do you mean by RTSS to 64bit and dedicated encoder server?

ULRG UtVideo RGB RGB 4:4:4 8bit full-range RGB24
RGB32
RGB
ARGB

I assume using RGB32 is what i want

Well in afterburner i see RGB VCM so i assume thats what i want In MKV?

EDIT: @DeMoN Well it is working now at 156MBps O.o!!!!!!! 95 seconds was 14.5GB

It also murders my frame rate even though GPU and CPU aren't loaded. Maybe single thread limited?

Last edited:

DeMoN

If you really NEED RGB, try that, but your HDD will cry a thousand tears with such a data rate. But as long as you stay at desktop it may work. YUV 4:4:4 would already save a lot of datarate.
RGB24 is enough. It is already full RGB. 32 is only for alpha channel. But in any case - use UTVideo. Uncompressed isnt going to work. too much data.
Also UTVideo is supposed to be in AVI. Every VfW Codec is.

dedicated encoder server is on your screenshot. Hold your mouse on it for an explaination what it does. I would use it and rivatuner statistics server (RTSS) has some more options for the capture.
There you can also select between 32 and 64 bit in its options/setup button.

someguy133

If you really NEED RGB, try that, but your HDD will cry a thousand tears with such a data rate. But as long as you stay at desktop it may work. YUV 4:4:4 would already save a lot of datarate.
RGB24 is enough. It is already full RGB. 32 is only for alpha channel. But in any case - use UTVideo. Uncompressed isnt going to work. too much data.
Also UTVideo is supposed to be in AVI. Every VfW Codec is.

dedicated encoder server is on your screenshot. Hold your mouse on it for an explaination what it does. I would use it and rivatuner statistics server (RTSS) has some more options for the capture.
There you can also select between 32 and 64 bit in its options/setup button.
my 2x3TB RAID0 is handling the 150MBps but that is ridiculous amount of data lol. YUV 4:4:4 would be smaller but it is limited colors right? 16-235?

It works in MKV container. Does AVI support multiple audio inputs? I have no audio in these records yet so I must be missing something.

Alright i enabled dedicated server and 64bit. I left threads on auto or should I use 8 threads?

EDIT: working and slightly better performance but it still murders my frame rate even though nothing is maxed :/ (I assume it is single thread limited for whatever reason even though it supposed 12 threads :/

Last edited:

DeMoN

lossless is huge, yes ;)
_
yes the range is reduced to 16-235, but do you really need more? For what purpose you need more?
Threads at auto is correct. The codec itself has in its config an own multithread option which defaults to use all detected logical cores.
Where you have the fps problem? At Desktop? o.o Or in a game?

someguy133

lossless is huge, yes ;)
_
yes the range is reduced to 16-235, but do you really need more? For what purpose you need more?
Threads at auto is correct. The codec itself has in its config an own multithread option which defaults to use all detected logical cores.
Where you have the fps problem? At Desktop? o.o Or in a game?
In game. I run smooth 120 FPS without recording but when I record there is a massive hit in FPS from 40-120FPS while recording but GPU isn't full loaded nor is the CPU at 100% it sits at like ~50%

Also recordings range from a variable 20-60FPS

My RAID0 can do 375MBps so that isn't an issue and GPU and CPU are not fully loaded. Is there a single thread limit or some conflict going on?

Also UTvideo (if i got name right) YUV709 4:4:4 doesnt really require any less data than RGB version so i'll just stick with RGB and they both act about as slow in performance wise. They both range in the 1,100-1,500Mbps range depending on video and content.

DeMoN

It should be drastically lower with YUV. maybe test again.
Did Afterburner hook the game or was it desktop capture? Thats a huge difference.
Keep in mind though, that OBS has a very fast hook (shared texture hook) while other software has only the traditional memory framebuffer hook which costs a lot more performance.
Try Framebuffer instead viewport (in RTSS)

someguy133

Did Afterburner hook the game or was it desktop capture? Thats a huge difference.
Keep in mind though, that OBS has a very fast hook (shared texture hook) while other software has only the traditional memory framebuffer hook which costs a lot more performance.
thanks i'll try that and report back. Wont get a chance til tonight or tomorrow to play around. Have other projects to get to thanks!

switched to framebuffer. Next time i'll try it.

In assume the game since video only showed the game and not my multiple screens.

EDIT: @DeMoN

someguy133

@DeMoN
BTW i tried again later on with this stuff and still can't get 120FPS recording of gameplay.

I tried recording to SSD, RAID0, and RAMDisk. I always have frame drop when recording in RivaTuner and posted on guru3D forums about this.

Do you think UTvideo codec is too slow? Would magicYUV actually be fast enough? What do you think of DxTory. Do you think that will actually get 1440p 120fps 4:4:4 consistent. I'll buy it if it actually works but don't want to spend money on something that can't actually pull it off.

Also what encoder way did you recommend for encoding h.264/h.265 at 4:4:4 chroma since handbreak doesn't support 4:4:4 chroma? I was going to give this all another try with the pay stuff if it actually will work.

MagicYUV do I use that ion rivatuner or dxtory or does it have its own app? If I use Riva/dxtory which would be best?

See this thread.
https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/lossless-recordings-need-help.418991/

Last edited: