Question / Help Advice on custom settings and white wash issue???

someguy133

Did you use the high444predictive profile? Lossless h.264 needs it. edit: ok you did.
The next thing is: The decoder of windows timeline software cant read high444p. they're even overwhelmed with anything better than "high".
what about windows timeline software? (never heard of this and google doesnt give anything) I use combined community codec pack and VLC/media player classic

I also dont get how my recording is 1080P when in recording settings rescale is deselected

does using default vs high performance present matter for lossless?

I record to 2x3TB 7200RPM drives that have 375MBps write speed sequential and 95MBps 512K write speed.

I am retaking all my screen shots of settings for you.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sr59ayedt7x379t/AADmGy_tLh2XJEgDmnxpegNVa?dl=0

Any other advice? When i did lossless segments worked and other segments audio kept going but video was frozen.

besides being stupidly massive ~50MBps!!! about 3x larger than 130Mbps lol

Suslik V

Advanced settings affects all.

I'm not sure, is the NVIDIA encoder (with current driver) able to encode videos as BT.709 or not (you need to record small sample with the test chart at 1280x720 or higher and view it by system that able to playback BT.709 right - you can upload it and post the link, I can try to view it too).

Don't know what you mean, but this file I downloaded from the links posted above. It has CRC MD5 of: 603ED562D1ED404789AEB772C6637B7F
or SHA256: 7EA4C8F90DB34472AE4FD44D1A888C78BAC84104AECBAE3EB187D4C104417699
Then I used MediaInfo (v0.7.85) application to see the media properties.
You can post log-file from this recording attempt if you think that something went wrong during recording.

If color space incompatible with the streaming protocol - the conversion turns on automatically for the streaming only.

~ (I don't have hw to test, but as were mentioned above - maybe you need other software player?)

Lossless not always required. You can achieve excellent result by simply using loss encoding with high settings (CRF 12-23, depending on image resolution).

Hard to say, I think your player unable to show recorded videos right (common behavior).

Streaming to YouTube works, but cause of small bug in OBS Studio itself (up to v20.0.1) use color format setting of NV12.

----

As for last settings - high444p (which is 4:4:4) not needed at all - because you already set NV12 (which is 4:2:0) at advanced.

DeMoN

As for last settings - high444p (which is 4:4:4) not needed at all - because you already set NV12 (which is 4:2:0) at advanced.
For lossless it IS needed. profile High doesnt support lossless h.264. Also the high444predictive profile is NOT 4:4:4. Its just a name. You can put 4:2:0 into it. But of course if you want 4:4:4, you can use this too, but its not forced. OBS always sends just 4:2:0 to NVEnc anyway, despite being able to do much higher:

Supported pixel formats: yuv420p nv12 p010le yuv444p yuv444p16le bgr0 rgb0 cuda

I use combined community codec pack
Why you install such trash. Codecpacks do more problems than help. With VLC the system installed codecs are ignored anyway. So the codec pack even isnt used, if you use VLC.
And MPC-HC is a very good player, but it just will be disturbed by your codecpack now. Simple uninstalling wont help. There will remain changes in the system due to it.

Last edited:

someguy133

For lossless it IS needed. profile High doesnt support lossless h.264. Also the high444predictive profile is NOT 4:4:4. Its just a name. You can put 4:2:0 into it. But of course if you want 4:4:4, you can use this too, but its not forced. OBS always sends just 4:2:0 to NVEnc anyway, despite being able to do much higher:

Supported pixel formats: yuv420p nv12 p010le yuv444p yuv444p16le bgr0 rgb0 cuda

Why you install such trash. Codecpacks do more problems than help. With VLC the system installed codecs are ignored anyway. So the codec pack even isnt used, if you use VLC.
And MPC-HC is a very good player, but it just will be disturbed by your codecpack now. Simple uninstalling wont help. There will remain changes in the system due to it.
because in the past i have downloaded videos with codecs i couldnt play and that pack has everything and solves the problem of wtf is OOG codec and where do i get it.

So what player should i use if VLC/MPC doesnt play the lossless assuming it recorded correctly.

I do have CS6 elarner suite floating around

Well why is OBS so dumb? It has settings that conflict with other settings like video and advance and recording/streaming.

So OBS doesnt truly support streaming and recording at once using 2 separate settings. That seriously blows.

Well I am going to focus on recording settings than.

recording
i444
full
1440p
mkv
lossless if it will work right
default or high performance?
high444p
auto
2 pass
2 b-frames

Well using those settings and not streaming it records at good quality and it plays in MPC actually but there are artifact issues with recording like when game opens up menus or tabs it goes to hell.

Does NVENC require GPU resources? I thought it was run on an ASIC not part of the GPU because my frame rate does suffer.

Last edited:

Suslik V

@DeMoN 4:2:0 simply fits in 4:4:4. What sense to record lossless if you already have 4:2:0?

@someguy133 What settings you want to modify? The streaming/recording can has different output settings (where it adjusted). Having different advanced setting not planned. The automatic conversion (for streaming) that where mentioned, is only feature that ensures that stream starts at any user settings. More over, you should notice the warning message (I think it should be placed right under the video section of the advanced settings not at the bottom of the page) that says that conversion of color spaces is additional task for CPU and not recommended if you planning to stream.

someguy133

@DeMoN 4:2:0 simply fits in 4:4:4. What sense to record lossless if you already have 4:2:0?

@someguy133 What settings you want to modify? The streaming/recording can has different output setting (where it adjusted). Having different advanced setting not planned. The automatic conversion (for streaming) that where mentioned, is only feature that ensures that stream starts at any user settings. More over, you should notice the warning message (I think it should be placed right under the video section of the advanced settings not at the bottom of the page) that says that conversion of color spaces is additional task for CPU and not recommended if you planning to stream.

This is an edit from post above you probably missed because i typed it when you posted lol
Well using those settings and not streaming it records at good quality and it plays in MPC actually but there are artifact issues with recording like when game opens up menus or tabs it goes to hell.

Does NVENC require GPU resources? I thought it was run on an ASIC not part of the GPU because my frame rate does suffer.

I want to record at the highest GPU settings possible whether that is 130Mbps or Lossless. I plan on using handbrake or some other program to software encode them to a better size so I dont use 100s of TBs

I know NVENC looks like crap compared to software encode which is why i am fine with recording 1TBs of data and just converting it later to H264/265 which ever gives the best results in size/time to encode.

For streaming I want to get the highest quality i can get away with given my system specs above using CBR 15000 Kbps bit rate. Youtube supposedly uses 709 so i would like to keep that.

DeMoN

You sound like 4:2:0 would be upscaled to 4:4:4 just because of the high 444 predictive profile. Which isnt true. it stays 4:2:0 if you store 4:2:0.
The very most programs (Fraps, DXTory, MSI Afterburner and so on, all the vfw ones) default to or suggest to capture with a lossless compression codec into 4:2:0. Because this the most hard drives can handle, while 4:2:2 or even 4:4:4 needs a RAID 0 or a very fast HDD like western digital gold series which didnt exist in the past.
lossless capture has advantage to get the most out of an afterwards encode, e.g. x264, because then x264 has the best & cleanest base to work with, more efficiency this way.
Also filters (audio and video) can work better with a perfect source. Of course 4:4:4 would be even better, but it is very stressful for a single HDD. And if you use a timeline program, seeking is much faster with a lossless source. H.264 eventually still not as fast as a vfw lossless codec though.

someguy133

well i did a real fast test converting the lossless video to h.264 and all those artifacts are just from MPC not playing the lossless file correctly

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lvx43x5jgl5y1jg/2017-09-19 13-18-37.mp4?dl=0

I just used DVDFab to encode this out of laziness and it looks pretty good and the artifacts are gone but its choppy at parts. I am sure handbrake I can come up with a customized setting that looks far better.

Any idea on why recording lossless is choppy?

Suslik V

You are free to use what ever you want. And if you don't see the conversion bug in the streaming then you don't need to change any advanced settings of the application. Do you have a problems with NVENC now? Why you want to change I444 to RGB? I recommend Color Format: NV12 no matter what encoder you want to use.

Max(x264) and Lossess is in this post: Advice on custom settings and white wash issue???
I don't have NVENC - so I cannot test all configs. From my point of view, use the settings that available right now and don't wait until something will be fixed. As for your screens, it is hard to say, for example, that the B-frames and lossless is compatible itself (I think this setting just ignored by the encoder).

Last edited:

someguy133

You are free to use what ever you want. And if you don't see the conversion bug in the streaming then you don't need to change any advanced settings of the application. Do you have a problems with NVENC now? Why you want to change I444 to RGB? I recommend Color Format: NV12 no matter what encoder you want to use.

Max(x264) and Lossess is in this post: Advice on custom settings and white wash issue???
I don't have NVENC - so I cannot test all configs. From my point of view, use the settings that available right now and don't wait until something will be fixed. As for your screens, it is hard to say, for example, that the B-frames and lossless is compatible itself (I think this setting just ignored by the encoder).
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mr87q0hk25tikbo/i44 bug or something else.png?dl=0

is that i444 bug or did NVENC glitch for another reason? I had 1 good recording but i tinkered with settings and i got this.

So far i am liking the idea of lossless record and just encoding it to a high quality H.265/265 later on to save space and have drastically better quality

DeMoN

Its a decoding problem of the player. Encode the video and it should be fine.
_
With NVEnc OBS unfortunately downscales always to 4:2:0
If you set 4:4:4 at advanced you get a (and even via nearest neighbor) downscaled 4:2:0.
But this is a OBS problem. NVEnc itself can do even 4:4:4 16bit.

Osiris

Afaik, OBS can do 4:4:4 just fine with NVENC, assuming you have a NVIDIA GPU that supports 4:4:4 with NVENC.

DeMoN

I have a GTX 1080 and for me it happens what I wrote. It also says 4:4:4 in the header, but there is a downscale to 4:2:0 via nearest neighbor somewhere in the chain.
But it works if I use the ffmpeg cli. I have the problem just with OBS.

Osiris

I can't test it myself, but looking at the code it passes yuv444p to ffmpeg when I444 is selected in settings -> advanced

someguy133

Its a decoding problem of the player. Encode the video and it should be fine.
_
With NVEnc OBS unfortunately downscales always to 4:2:0
If you set 4:4:4 at advanced you get a (and even via nearest neighbor) downscaled 4:2:0.
But this is a OBS problem. NVEnc itself can do even 4:4:4 16bit.
I did encode the video for that screen shot and its same

I'll play around with I444 and RGB to see which works

DeMoN

What program did you use to encode it? maybe the program cant handle lossless h.264. very common for a windows timeline program

someguy133

What program did you use to encode it? maybe the program cant handle lossless h.264. very common for a windows timeline program
handbrake The original in MPC looked the exact same. I did another lossless using NV12 and it didnt get all boogered. So Something in settings should be wrong I guess since before it worked.

It is surprisingly difficult in todays world to record lossless quality....I could see this like 5 or 10 years ago but this seems silly complicated.

I am on handbreak IRC and handbreak only does 4:2:0 ATM so only way to encode to 4:4:4 is to use the encoder original exe commandline and thats beyond me ATM.

BradleyS at handbreak said they should be working on 4:4:4 update but not sure if that seems reality in near future. Still talking on IRC.