Question / Help Advanced Audio Streaming w/Mixer!

mmorabe

Hey guys, I'm running a fairly complex audio setup and wanted it to work very well with OBS.

Here's what I have setup right now:
PC Audio streams to OBS, Shure SM7B connected through my Yamaha MG82cx mixer going back into my Soundcard and that feeds my Mic audio through OBS. There are more components in this mix but shouldn't effect what my final product is! (e.g. Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, Cloudlifter CL-1 for extra Mic gain).

Now for the complicated part:
I'm usually in Raidcall with my viewers and I hate it that they cannot hear music. The only way I can think of making this work is to input my laptop through the board, then that goes into my Mic output. It becomes a double edge sword however because although the music is good through stream and the raidcall, I now cannot hear it unless I were to monitor audio through the Mixer.

The other part of it though, is that if I were to "listen to" on my computer to hear myself and the music coming in from the mixer, now OBS streams a double output :(

I know it sounds complicated, but maybe I just forego having music in the Raidcall? Should I just focus on the mic only?

Other option is to output the PC audio through the board back into the PC with everything now Mixed, but then I believe audio into Raidcall will now be doubled with echoes from everything!

Finally, for the future, I'm thinking about running a second XLR mic into my board for my other streamer. How can I monitor PC audio, and both our mics through the mixer without it doubling back into the OBS stream or Raidcall if we were in it?

Any help is great or confirmation that I should not worry about music going into Raidcall.

ColterTV

You will need a program like Virtual Audio Cable. With that, you can setup a virtual cable that will contain your mic + music, and you can feed that into radicall input

mmorabe

ColterTV said:
You will need a program like Virtual Audio Cable. With that, you can setup a virtual cable that will contain your mic + music, and you can feed that into radicall input

Actually just figure it out through the board! Nevermind and thanks for reading!

JeffBundy

mmorabe, glad you figured it out. I'm wrestling with the same thing. All connected through my mixer (Xenyx 802). The PC speakers out come in to a channel in the mixer so I can control the volume coming from any PC sounds (music, clips, etc.). *HOWEVER* in OBS selecting Default as the AudioSpeaker source, bring the audio into OBS at FULL volume bypassing the mixer control. Yet when I select the Behringer Xenys as the Speaker source, NOTHING comes through from the PC at all. Dilemma.

And to make matters worse, I had it configured correctly at one point and did not document the settings. (Yup, stupid!) Thanks for any light anyone can shed on this.

Cryonic

Try to route the master out or the cue out on the Xenyx (i dont know your mixer but all behringer xenyx models have master & cue out) into the line in on your PC and select the input source.
If you are using a mic, you have to use this with the mixer combined with your audio output (so you can hear your mic and audio output at the same time).
I know the Xenyx may have a USB output, but try to route the audio signal to your soundcard instead (simple analog wires), it will work better.

The other way is to lower the audio output volume in OBS - you can select default audio output and then adjust the volume. OBS is capturing the audio at full volume and this is good, you can turn it down.

If you need to know anything about audio and audio gear like mixer, mic or audio routing with different hardware - feel free to PM me, i will figure it out and make it work :-)

Videophile

Elgato
Hey guys, quick question: Since you are using mixers, and the mic is coming through the mixer, can you hear yourself in the headphone output of the mixer?

-Shrimp

Cryonic

depends on the mixer. most of them have a switch for each channel (cue, pfl or just a headphone symbol). DJ-style mixer dont have this option, if there is a mic input, its connected directly to the master out (and booth/record out if there is one).
The other option is an audio interface with phantom power (+48V) that is needed for condenser microphones.
Usually you cant hear your mic if you use it with windows. ASIO driver allow you more but the software that you use should be supporting this - there you can select your inputs and otputs to hear what you want and route your audio to the needed channel. There is a software mixer inside that can be controlled via MIDI and its really powerful and dont have the limits of a hardware mixer. But the ASIO driver will take control over your audio interface, so no other software can use it (!).
With OSX its easier because of the core audio driver.
And dont forget the latency if you are using the software. You will hear yourself after a few ms with a dedicated audio interface or even later if you are using a usual soundcard. Hardware mixer dont have a delay at all.

So this is different, there is no right answer. It really depends on the hardware.
Some USB microphones (like the Samson Meteor, pretty popular & cheap but still good) have dedicated headphone outputs (used for checking the audio quality, the volume level and to hear yourself speak while doing a talkover). This has no delay.

Cryonic

Small basic mixer. Should do the job, but this depends on your audio sources or other hardware like your microphone :-)

JeffBundy

Try to route the master out or the cue out on the Xenyx (i dont know your mixer but all behringer xenyx models have master & cue out) into the line in on your PC and select the input source.
If you are using a mic, you have to use this with the mixer combined with your audio output (so you can hear your mic and audio output at the same time).
I know the Xenyx may have a USB output, but try to route the audio signal to your soundcard instead (simple analog wires), it will work better.

The other way is to lower the audio output volume in OBS - you can select default audio output and then adjust the volume. OBS is capturing the audio at full volume and this is good, you can turn it down.

If you need to know anything about audio and audio gear like mixer, mic or audio routing with different hardware - feel free to PM me, i will figure it out and make it work :-)

Cryonic, OK thanks. I'm going to take the 1 by 1 approach and do the detective work to get this back the way I had it. And I'm using a AT2005 mic XLR into the 802, MasterOut to LineIn (Realtek sound board on motherboard), Speaker out on PC to Channel 2 on Xenyx802. I did upgrade the Behringer audio drivers last Sunday and that is when the problems started.

So anyway, I think this is a long, detail-oriented detective session carefully documenting which settings yield which results until I achieve the results that I had: perfect and total control of PC audio plus Mic audio, plus other Audio (i.e. Skype/Hangouts) all streamed happily via OBS.

Cryonic

Yeah.. Try to unplug the USB on the Xenyx 802USB and use only analog inputs & outputs and your soundcard (onboard). This will work 100%.

My setup looks a bit different - T-Bone SC300 condenser mic via XLR into the ART Tube MP preamp (and i LOVE it - with this i can get a really loud output - so i can talk to people while sitting in the kitchen.. the bad thing - it picks up any avaliable noise) and then routed into Terrasoniq Phase x64 USB audio interface - this is what i use for streaming games.
And if i do a DJ stream, i connect anything to my DJ gear (mixer, controller whatever) and the only audio source that is going into OBS is the Record Out from my mixer or from my A/V-Receiver/Amp.
Having a ton of different audio gear makes my life pretty easy :-)

I never used the Behringer Xenyx, but i know them pretty well - they are everywhere, mostly because they are cheap.

If you did the driver upgrade - was this only on your PC or did you upgrade the firmware on the mixer too?
The second option can be really bad and really hard to fix. If its only the driver on your PC - downgrade it back to the working version and forget it. Audio driver are not that important, you can use old versions (like 5 years old) - if its working, dont touch it^^ I learned this before i started streaming.. As a DJ you work live and you cant afford it having problems with your audio just because you found a new shiny driver. Keep it simple and if you have to upgrade - look into the forum of the manufacturer and check what people type about the new driver before installing it. That will save you some time^^