Question / Help Adding Features to Nginx/jwplayer Linux VM

I'm making this thread as a spin-off of this post.
Hi guys hope someone can help me here. GREAT build i am Loving nginx. just a few things i would like to get out of it that i can't do at the moment. i would like to use play_on authorisation to protect stream or something like it. i would also like to see who is connected i thought it was access log but can't seem to find it to see it. i'm probably missing something.. I would also like to add multiple streams to the jw player. i know it's possible i've seen it in a thread somewhere on the net but i can't find it again.. hope one of you beautiful geniuses can help
Thanks again for all your hard work

I'm going to put the points in bullets for easy reading:
  • play_on authorization (or similar)
  • A way to see who is connected
    • Live status
    • Historical logs
  • Add multiple streams to jwplayer
    • Multiple inbound streams and multiple outbound feeds
    • Multiple inbound streams inserted into a single outbound feed split-screen style
I don't know how to do most of those things off the top of my head, but I do have ideas on what might be out there.

no1pubber, could you help me with a couple of answers?
  1. What is play_on authorization? Do you mean user authentication and authorization, like usernames and passwords or certificates?
  2. Where do you want the connected users information to be accessed? Do you want it viewed on the same page as the stream? Do you want a second page created for it that only you have access to? Do you want a log file that you can look at as needed (like the one in /var/log/nginx/access.log)?
  3. Could you clarify exactly what you'd like when you say "multiple streams to the jw player"?
I should be able to help implement #1 and #2, and probably #3 depending on what was meant. One thing to note is that I am not a web designer. If any of the new features requires new web pages to be created, they will be extremely basic and maybe ugly!

Last edited:

no1pubber

hi thanks for you response and apologies for my slow response. I would literally like to see who is watching what ie user x is watching stream x weather user be an ip address or whatever. if possible i would like to use username and passwords or even mac address allowance. i know who my users are and can easily get mac addresses. not bothered about certificates. when i say multiple streams on jw player i mean for example i have
stream1 stream 2 stream3. i would like users to be able to browse to www.examplestream.com and then select which stream to watch. pretty basic stuff probably for you pros lol

OK, sounds like something I think I can do. I don't have an ETA, but I will try to put some time into this somewhat soon.

no1pubber

thank you so very much.. loads of respect for people like you man. I am one who likes to try myself and help others i'm just out of my depth with linux.. thanks again.

mike

I rebuilt nginx and got stats working. It was nice because nginx actually acted like a service instead of just binaries and config files called via mini scripts. The problem is once I did an "apt-get upgrade" on the server, it upgraded nginx without the statistics module, so the nginx service wouldn't start anymore. It didn't know what the statistics directives were in the config file.

I have a snapshot of the VM in a working state with stats and everything. I think I'll be able to figure this out, but I have to call it quits for tonight.

I have a new version with stats capability in the process of uploading right now.
I will implement the other two features in future versions / uploads and post them here.

A friend of mine made a page that had 4 stream videos. You simply clicked the Play button on the one(s) you wanted to watch. Would that work for you?

Here is version 1.3 of the VM!

In order to view the stat page, you will have to allow an IP address access to view it. Edit your nginx.conf file and find the section in the picture below. Uncomment the line that starts with #allow and type in an IP address. This should be a private IP address, like your gaming PC for example. The reason this is locked down is because the stats page will reveal your Twitch streaming key if one is active. The stats also show all the IP addresses that are connected.

The second step is to browse to the stat page. It will be http://192.168.1.123/stat. This page shows all stream stats, including the incoming stream from OBS.

ihJWMbHWMxTks.png

Last edited:

no1pubber

this is spot on mate exactly what i was looking for. i've actually built my nginx onto a cloud server at the moment for speed purposes 1000mb up and down better than my 100/6 i have at home. By any chance could i nick the code off you to build jwplayer and that page into it? i think this machine is going to be perfect for so many people and offers so many more features that the current build does. brilliant this work mate

no1pubber

I have a new version with stats capability in the process of uploading right now.
I will implement the other two features in future versions / uploads and post them here.

A friend of mine made a page that had 4 stream videos. You simply clicked the Play button on the one(s) you wanted to watch. Would that work for you?

Here is version 1.3 of the VM!

In order to view the stat page, you will have to allow an IP address access to view it. Edit your nginx.conf file and find the section in the picture below. Uncomment the line that starts with #allow and type in an IP address. This should be a private IP address, like your gaming PC for example. The reason this is locked down is because the stats page will reveal your Twitch streaming key if one is active. The stats also show all the IP addresses that are connected.

The second step is to browse to the stat page. It will be http://192.168.1.123/stat. This page shows all stream stats, including the incoming stream from OBS.

ihJWMbHWMxTks.png

sorry bud whats the username password for login

Harza

Hi
I have recording question, if i put in on, where those files is stored:
application transcode {
live on;
record on;

Second is problem with http://server/stat page. It give me 403 forbidden error. My test server is same lan (same subnet) than my work station and i have put ip of my workstation to:
# rtmp stat
location /stat {
rtmp_stat all;
rtmp_stat_stylesheet stat.xsl;
allow 192.168.50.101;
deny all;
Do i have to make some changes some other places too?

Regards,
Harza

Hi
I have recording question, if i put in on, where those files is stored:
application transcode {
live on;
record on;

Second is problem with http://server/stat page. It give me 403 forbidden error. My test server is same lan (same subnet) than my work station and i have put ip of my workstation to:
# rtmp stat
location /stat {
rtmp_stat all;
rtmp_stat_stylesheet stat.xsl;
allow 192.168.50.101;
deny all;
Do i have to make some changes some other places too?

Regards,
Harza
I have not tried recording before. I imagine it would be the .flv output file defined a little higher in the config file.

Your stats problem is kind of tough. Is your IP address really 192.168.50.101 when you look at ipconfig? Did you reload the nginx config after applying the stats change?

Harza

I have not tried recording before. I imagine it would be the .flv output file defined a little higher in the config file.

Your stats problem is kind of tough. Is your IP address really 192.168.50.101 when you look at ipconfig? Did you reload the nginx config after applying the stats change?

:) Thanks 014.. I didn't remember reload nginx after make that change of the ip.. my mistake.

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
By the way, arut mentioned once that the nginx reload option is not fully supported by the rtmp-module. So its often best to stop the server completely and then just start it again to load a new nginx.conf.

i hv core2duo e7300 2.6 3gb win8.1 which vm soft is best for this rtmp 1.37 vm image regards,
It's version 1.3. The file name is RTMP_Encoder_1.3.7z, so that is probably the confusion.

This file is created for VirtualBox. That is the software you should use. If you wish to use a VMWare or other virtualization product, you will have to convert the file. I will not be providing instructions for that.