Question / Help Adding a Audio File

Banyarola

I'm trying to add an audio file to my sources in a scene I am working on and can't find any way to do it..
When I right click the 'sources' box I don't see any option to select a audio file.
Thanks for any help.

FerretBomb

There isn't an option for an audio file source. You can try the Video Source plugin, as I believe it supports some audio-only formats.

Banyarola

I was looking at the video plugin and used it for a video already.
I can convert the audio file to a video file and see if just the sound plays..

Thanks, I'll play with it.

Banyarola

Thanks Harold, I have Studio installed but haven't played much with it.
I'll try it if I can't get OBS to do it.

Banyarola

Here's what I did to get the audio file to play.

1: I loaded a pic, it could be anything, in Windows Movie Maker.
2: In WMM I added the sound file recording to the pic.
3: Then I saved the it as an MP4..
4: Added the 'video' file to my sources.
5: I put the 'video' source behind everything else so when the 'video' plays, all you hear is the sound file playing.

To get the sound file to play continuously just set it to LOOP.

Harold

or you could just add the file in studio with MEDIA source without going through all that extra work

FerretBomb

Yep. Studio isn't always the answer. It's missing bits, and has some annoyances of varying degrees.
Classic still works (for now), and can be the right choice for many.

I know I come across as a Studio hater, but it's far from the case. It has quite a few improvements, and is going to supersede Classic eventually. I just get rankled when the first (and only) suggestion put forward is to switch to Studio.
Every. Dang. Time.

Banyarola

Well Ferret, I know what you mean. I like Studio but it's really not ready for prime time yet.
I don't like the fact that it shuts off AERO to function properly. Shutting off AERO seems to affect my window capture...

I'm still have a couple months left on my Xsplt license which I plan not to renew because they are going south real fast.

Anyway, thanks for your reply and opinion..
Bany

FerretBomb

Er, Studio doesn't shut off Aero. That's a checkbox in the settings that's supposed to default to off, and is only meant to be used in a very few use cases.

In my case, it's the lack of per-scene cropping (which may have been fixed), the inability to lock the scene layout in the preview window, and the hotkey codex which really needs an overhaul quite badly. There are others, but those are my big three.
I really should put together a mockup of a better hotkey codex layout.

Banyarola

I'm aware of the aero check-box in Studio.
I was having it turn off AERO because it wasn't working properly with AERO on.
Anyway, it's too difficult to explain and I was using it before and found a few things that may help me with the window capture.

Thanks for the input..It always helps.