A more intuitive layout for the "Add Source" menu.

tokumei

In its current state, it's incredibly difficult to find exactly what source you want, especially as the configuration becomes more complex.
This is the procedure that I have to follow when adding a source:

- Determine the source type,
- Search through and pick it from the list of source types,
- Click "Add Existing" in the dialog that pops up as "Create new" is the default.
- Search through the list of sources and pick it, then click OK.

This process takes a minimum of 5 point-and-click operations to add a source, from the first "+" button to the final "OK", which involves heavy use of the mouse and very few / very inefficient keyboard navigation alternatives. Adding a source could be as simple as two/three clicks, or zero/one with a keyboard shortcut/button for "add source", typing a subset of the name into an automatically-highlighted search box, and having the top result chosen when I press "Enter" or click the "OK" key.

There is also some required thinking and searching that really shouldn't be relevant to adding a source. Once I create the source, I do not care about where its media comes from, I just want to find it and bring it into the scene. I shouldn't have to remember that my 4:3 webcam crop is actually a group and not a video capture source.

I think in general, both of these problems are symptoms of a bigger one - that adding and creating a source are conflated into the same set of menus / dialogs in a completely backwards order. The ideal workflow for adding a source to a scene would be to click an "add source" button, search for the source I want, and then if none matched, select a type and create it (or skip to "Create" with a dedicated button in the main UI if I know it is going to be new).

I'd be open to feedback, especially on the source searching/selection part, but I think this is still a much better solution than the one currently in place. Another improvement would be to add user-defined categorization and collapsing of scene/source lists to make longer ones easier to navigate.