Question / Help 64bit OBS - Update Available... always.

NekoMina

So, yeah. Odd issue that I couldn't find when searching through the forums, but for the past THREE major releases of OBS, I've had an issue where the 64-bit OBS ALWAYS says an update is available - even if it isn't.

ODDLY ENOUGH, after running the update and going back into OBS, it seems that something magically works... and there's no updates available. Next time I run it from the icon on the desktop, though? OH HEY, AN UPDATE!

Now, this isn't just annoying... it's almost kind of breaking OBS entirely until I manually run an update before each time I want to start streaming or recording.

A lot of the plugins I use REFUSE TO LOAD until I manually update, despite there being no actual update available.

Any suggestions? Really need to fix this. Maybe I can just get the command line arguments that the updater sends to the client and just toss it onto my shortcut for now, because honestly... the constant nagging of there being an update, and having entire features not work UNTIL I do the update, is kind of turning me off to OBS. Don't really want to go back to XSplit. :(

Osiris

I don't know what's going on there with the updates, but just stick to the 32-bit OBS, if it doesn't happen there.

NekoMina

I would LOVE to just stick with the 32-bit version, but I really can't. See, for some stupid reason, Razer doesn't seem to believe that some people still have 32-bit systems, and ALL of their headsets only come with 64-bit drivers, thus will NOT be detected as an audio source in 32-bit OBS

Harold

64-bit OBS installs to program files\obs instead of program files (x86)\obs\64bit now. Are you sure you're not trying to use the old location improperly?

Your desktop shortcut is probably pointing to the wrong location.

Osiris

As far as Razer headsets go, you can just close the Razer Kraken launcher to use 32-bit OBS.

NekoMina

I'd still prefer to use the 64-bit OBS if at all possible. I don't see why I should have to use the 32-bit process.

And yes, I'm positive that I'm using the proper executable. Running as admin or not makes no difference.

Panpan

What operating system are you running? Honestly I used to get this as well, and I re-install and hop between Windows (and it's alterations) often. It eventually fixes itself and sometimes comes back, but I have no clear understanding of what is causing it...

NekoMina

What operating system are you running? Honestly I used to get this as well, and I re-install and hop between Windows (and it's alterations) often. It eventually fixes itself and sometimes comes back, but I have no clear understanding of what is causing it...
I've tried it using both Windows 7 and Windows 8 (8.1, specifically) and run into the same problem with both. Seems it's operating system independent.

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
What does it say is available to update? Does the updater complete without errors?

NekoMina

According to it, EVERYTHING is available for update. OBS itself and all of the default plugins (since none of the extra will load until after going through the update process).

Open Broadcaster Software (0.638b)
DirectShow Plugin
Game Capture Plugin
Noise Gate Plugin
Per-Scene Volume Plugin

The updater says that everything is up to date when it runs, then spits back to OBS - which oddly enough, is when things start working. Not sure why it's doing this... it seems awkward at best, since it's running the exact same executable both times.

Is there any way I can just get the command line arguments that the updater runs OBS with the second time, or something? Seems the super easy fix would be just to recreate the shortcut with that, and see if it works.

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
Do you have a separate admin account than your user account? Currently if you have to change user accounts to run the updater, it will not use the correct manifest file which could result in errors like this.

NekoMina

I only have one user account on the computer. It's the administrator account by default.

Also, manually running the executable "As administrator" makes no difference whatsoever.

NekoMina

Also makes no difference. Loaded it up, and new updates were reported as available. Plugins not loading until after running and update and letting the updater launch OBS.

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
It definitely sounds like you're running two copies of OBS somehow if the plugins don't load either.

NekoMina

Yeah, I checked. It's the same exact copy, in the same location. Not running different copies at all, even though it would seem like I was.

Following the Task Manager process list, it shows the proper executable location each time: C:\Program Files\OBS\OBS.exe, with running directory C:\Program Files\OBS

I get the same issue with 64bit OBS. It was happening a while back before I did a clean install of Windows and still happens after. Every time I start OBS it will say there are updates. If I ignore the updates then it works fine, otherwise I'll have to restart OBS after updating before the plugins will be recognized.