60 fps extremely choppy

Josshhh

Hello,

I've been wanting to start recording YouTube videos for awhile, and I cannot seem to record a video where my framerate looks smooth. I record in 60 fps and all of my footage just doesn't look as smooth as other 60 fps videos out there and looks extremely choppy. I easily hit 60 fps in game (normally getting 300+ FPS in games I play) although I cannot find out why my footage looks so choppy. Please let me know if you can help, thanks!

Log: https://obsproject.com/logs/CktEdF3bzpanOZlI

Edit: feel free to let me know if anything else in my settings looks wrong since I am just learning how to use this program.

Last edited:

BK-Morpheus

There's no recording/streaming attempt in that log file.
Don't use monitor capture + game capture in the same scene (always prefer game capture if possible).

Make sure that your GPU load never exceeds 98% for more than a few seconds...you need some GPU power headroom for OBS. So running without any fps limit (or a unrealistically high fps cap) needs to be avoided.

If you want the smoothest video:
Don't play with uneven or fluctuating fps. You wanna record with 60fps? -> Play with 60, 120, 180, 240fps and make sure the ingame fps stays locked in one of those compatible framerates without shooting over or under that framerate.

Josshhh

Don't use monitor capture + game capture in the same scene (always prefer game capture if possible).

Make sure that your GPU load never exceeds 98% for more than a few seconds...you need some GPU power headroom for OBS. So running without any fps limit (or a unrealistically high fps cap) needs to be avoided.

Don't play with uneven or fluctuating fps. You wanna record with 60fps? -> Play with 60, 120, 180, 240fps and make sure the ingame fps stays locked in one of those compatible framerates without shooting over or under that framerate.
Thanks! I really appreciate this

Josshhh

Here is an actual log if you wanted to check this out: https://obsproject.com/logs/JuFfDCCOrdDLs91z
Also, I followed all of your steps and so far my recordings are looking a tad smoother! Thanks!

qhobbes

1. The new Windows 10 Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling ("HAGS") added with version 2004 is currently known to cause performance and capture issues with OBS, games and overlay tools. It's a new and experimental feature and we recommend disabling it via these instructions.
2. Change the Preset from Max Quality to Quality and uncheck the box for Psycho Visual Tuning. These use additional GPU.
3. Record to MKV. If you record to MP4 or MOV and the recording is interrupted, the file will be corrupted and unrecoverable.
If you require MP4 files for some other purpose like editing, remux them afterwards by selecting File > Remux Recordings in the main OBS Studio window or enable Auto Remux in the Advanced Settings.
4. Display and Game Capture Sources interfere with each other. Never put them in the same scene (Scene).

Josshhh

1. The new Windows 10 Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling ("HAGS") added with version 2004 is currently known to cause performance and capture issues with OBS, games and overlay tools. It's a new and experimental feature and we recommend disabling it via these instructions.
2. Change the Preset from Max Quality to Quality and uncheck the box for Psycho Visual Tuning. These use additional GPU.
3. Record to MKV. If you record to MP4 or MOV and the recording is interrupted, the file will be corrupted and unrecoverable.
If you require MP4 files for some other purpose like editing, remux them afterwards by selecting File > Remux Recordings in the main OBS Studio window or enable Auto Remux in the Advanced Settings.
4. Display and Game Capture Sources interfere with each other. Never put them in the same scene (Scene).
Thanks!

Josshhh

I found out why the video was doing this- it had nothing to do with my OBS settings at all. If you're having this issue and are on a high hertz monitor like I am (240 hz), simply go into Windows settings and lower the hertz to 60. While you're at it, go into your GPU's control panel and enable Vsync. Enable Vsync in your games as well. After all that's done, your videos should look buttery smooth. Hope this helped anyone!