Question / Help 4K60 Pro Elgato + OBS Recording Issues

Leocarian

I am super fucking annoying right now. I spend all this money only to get garbage results.

I want to record Xbox One X footage in 4K/60 so I got the 4K/60 Pro from Elgato, installed it, everything works fine. However, for the fucking life of me, I can't get it to record local videos in 4K60 at a stable framerate? I have a beast of a fucking computer, what the fuck is going on??

i7 - 6700K
GTX 1080
Windows 64-bit
32GB of DDR4 Ram

There is absolutely no fucking way my PC cannot handle 4K/60 Recordings for console games.

I've tried millions of different OBS settings

both NVENC and X264, different bitrate etc... and it all appears like shit. If bitrate is at 5000K or lower it looks like a blurry and grainy mess. if it's at 8000 it's clean but run but plays at like 1-2 FPS. This is fucking pathetic. Do I need a fucking quantum processor for this shit?

Also I've noticed if I changed the Canvas and Output to 3840x2160 in OBS under Video Settings it lowers the framerate of the video. However, if I put it at 1920x1080 EVEN THOUGH THE CAPTURE DEVICE IS SET TO 3840x2160 IT DOES NOT FUCKING RECORD AT 3840x2160 WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT? How do people fucking like OBS? This is a piece of garbage software and this is coming from a tech savvy guy. FIX UR FUCKING SHIT.

When I use the 4K Elgato Utility Capture software everything is flawless and looks beautiful, but I want to use OBS to also record audio as well and it has more options. Also the 4K Ultilty Video Files come up at 1 GB or so for a 1 Min and 20 seconds footage, meanwhile the stupid OBS local recordings are like 100 MBs for 1 minute. Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with your shitty software people? This is fucking 2017 fix ur garbage shit before I find someone to burn your shitty HQ.

I spend $1000s of dollars and this is what I fucking get? I understand OBS is free but to be quiet honest I'd rather pay for a premium version that actually works and doesn't have confusing settings or shit that does not make sense.

Fenrir

Forum Admin
Alright, I can tell you're a bit angry, but there's a ton of information missing from here, and most of it is included in an OBS log.

If you're looking for help, please follow these steps:

Please post a link to a clean log file. To make a clean log file, first restart OBS, then start your stream/recording for ~30 seconds and stop it again. Make sure you replicate any issues as best you can, which means having any games/apps open and captured, etc. When you're done select Help > Log Files > Upload Current Log File. Copy the URL and paste it here.

And I'm going to be up front here... you seem to not understand just how incredibly difficult it is to encode 4k60fps in realtime like you're trying to do. So, go ahead and grab the log and I can identify any issues you might be having.

However, it IS possible with the right setup and settings. And I should know, I do it regularly.

Fenrir

Forum Admin
Also, please dial the attitude back a bit. As mentioned, I understand you're upset, but you need to calm down for a moment and let us try to help. You're probably making a simple mistake that will be easy to correct.

Leocarian

Alright, I can tell you're a bit angry, but there's a ton of information missing from here, and most of it is included in an OBS log.

If you're looking for help, please follow these steps:

Please post a link to a clean log file. To make a clean log file, first restart OBS, then start your stream/recording for ~30 seconds and stop it again. Make sure you replicate any issues as best you can, which means having any games/apps open and captured, etc. When you're done select Help > Log Files > Upload Current Log File. Copy the URL and paste it here.

And I'm going to be up front here... you seem to not understand just how incredibly difficult it is to encode 4k60fps in real-time like you're trying to do. So, go ahead and grab the log and I can identify any issues you might be having.

However, it IS possible with the right setup and settings. And I should know, I do it regularly.

Here is the log file - https://gist.github.com/62b3209606f795a1d7509dfd5f0ea8e6

This was me using x264 at 8000 bitrate with VeryFast, at both Canvas/Output set to 1920x1080 and it STILL DID NOT RECORD 4K and also was laggy despite the capture device being set at 3840x2160.

Here is another log file - https://gist.github.com/303f88d97cd3b8c04424bebbe4de4957

at x264 8000 bitrate, VeryFast with Canvas set to 1920x1080 and Output at 3840x2160 (this DID do 4K) although I do not understand this video setting at all or why it's even there when capture device is already recognized at 3840x2160. I swear to god this is the most autistic shit I have ever seen. Was great quality but ran at a slideshow of 1 FPS

As for the whole 4K/60 Realtime you can't tell me that because its bullshit. I have a top of the line custom built PC that eats anything I'll throw at it. I render videos at 4K/60 with 0 issues and don't have any problems ever like this in video editing software which tend to be more intense on the CPU/GPU end due to rendering. Also, I did 3D rendering for Video Games/Movies professionally in the past and know how this shit works and used all kinds of software/rending such as Mental-Ray, Ray-tracing etc.

Also, just to clarify, last week or so I was working on a 4K video for Overwatch and couldn't even record 4K Footage for Overwatch without having FPS drop or massive grain effect. So I decided to test out Shadow Play, set the settings to 4K/60, 130MBPs clicked record and was buttery smooth at ultra setting at 4K/60 FPS clean video file. So the issue is definitely OBS and nothing else.

Fenrir

Forum Admin
The first thing that jumps out in those logs is that you're using the FTL fork of OBS. This build had a TON of issues with local recordings, and we do not support it. The changes were merged in to the main OBS version for Mixer support a while ago.

First thing you'll need to do is upgrade to the latest official release. I wouldn't be surprised if this fixes many of your issues.

Secondly, 8k bitrate isn't enough for 1080p 60fps, let alone 4k60. Try using simple output mode and the recording presets if you're not sure how to use advanced settings. They work fantastic, and even as an advanced power user I use them personally quite often.

Andy F

Just posting a quick anecdote, did a local test just now with NVENC capturing at 1440p@120 fps for 30 seconds and I think all of 13 frames got dropped, so (the current build of) OBS should definitely be fine with 4K@60 which I think isn't too far off in terms of data rate.

Leocarian

The first thing that jumps out in those logs is that you're using the FTL fork of OBS. This build had a TON of issues with local recordings, and we do not support it. The changes were merged in to the main OBS version for Mixer support a while ago.

First thing you'll need to do is upgrade to the latest official release. I wouldn't be surprised if this fixes many of your issues.

Secondly, 8k bitrate isn't enough for 1080p 60fps, let alone 4k60. Try using simple output mode and the recording presets if you're not sure how to use advanced settings. They work fantastic, and even as an advanced power user I use them personally quite often.

Ehh.. I had no problems with doing 1920x1080/60FPS for Super Mario Odyssey under 8K... I have videos up on my YouTube for that but okay...

Here I used the regular updated OBS 64 Bit Version like you suggested - https://gist.github.com/edb05f1f998c164ec4cb7e1189a4bc8a

I did 30K Bitrate, still a grainy mess at x264 veryfast.....

The OBS 64 FTL was a was a much higher quality video but much lower FPS than regular OBS 64bit Btw I just compared the 2.

Fenrir

Forum Admin
Because you're up scaling 1080p to 4k. Set both the canvas and output to 4k, then click the elgato source and press ctrl+f to fit to canvas.

30k is also pretty low, I should have explained. For 4k60 you're going to want to use somewhere around 80-120k for the best quality. But really, you shouldn't be using CBR for recordings, you should use CRF/CQP with a value of 14-18 (lower is better quality, but will use more bitrate.)

Leocarian

Because you're up scaling 1080p to 4k. Set both the canvas and output to 4k, then click the elgato source and press ctrl+f to fit to canvas.

30k is also pretty low, I should have explained. For 4k60 you're going to want to use somewhere around 80-120k for the best quality. But really, you shouldn't be using CBR for recordings, you should use CRF/CQP with a value of 14-18 (lower is better quality, but will use more bitrate.)

lol, why didn't you tell me about CRF/CQP before hand....? Ok I will try now.

Fenrir

Forum Admin
You said you were advanced and had a lot of experience with video encoding, I assumed you knew about it already. My mistake. I'll be more clear going forward.

Andy F

You say x264 and veryfast but your log file is showing nvenc and CBR?

Ideally you'd be expecting to see something like this in the log file (if using NVENC)

04:10:05.468: [NVENC encoder: 'recording_h264'] settings:
04:10:05.468: rate_control: CQP
04:10:05.468: bitrate: 0
04:10:05.468: cqp: 30

Except with the cqp around 14-18 as Fenrir suggests

Fenrir

Forum Admin
Make sure you're changing the settings under the recording tab, but really I would strongly suggest you flip back to simple output mode and try the recording presets. At least right now to test. They guarantee a consistent set of settings.

Leocarian

Make sure you're changing the settings under the recording tab, but really I would strongly suggest you flip back to simple output mode and try the recording presets. At least right now to test. They guarantee a consistent set of settings.

I am so angry and frustrated that I ended up changing Streaming settings instead of recording and gave you the log life of that... BRB ....

Fenrir

Forum Admin
Make sure you set the encoder to Hardware NVENC. X264 isn't going to work at 4k on consumer grade CPUs

Fenrir

Forum Admin
And use indistinguishable quality, not lossless. 4k lossless your hard drive won't be able to keep up with write speed for that.

Fenrir

Forum Admin
Better, but now I'm seeing:
Video stopped, number of skipped frames due to encoding lag: 977/1196 (81.7%)

Which is what's causing the playback to fail. 81% of the frames can't be encoded in time, and this is purely a performance problem. Can you grab GPUz and screenshot the main tab (should be a camera button in the app itself) and link here? Let's check that the GPU is operating in the correct mode.

Leocarian

Better, but now I'm seeing:
Video stopped, number of skipped frames due to encoding lag: 977/1196 (81.7%)

Which is what's causing the playback to fail. 81% of the frames can't be encoded in time, and this is purely a performance problem. Can you grab GPUz and screenshot the main tab (should be a camera button in the app itself) and link here? Let's check that the GPU is operating in the correct mode.

Yes, give me a moment please I gotta download it.