Planet_Xtreme

Hello reader.
Upgraded pc from a 1600X CPU to a 5950X CPU. From 6 cores to 16 much faster cores, should have been a huge improvement in 4k streaming -
There was. Sorta.
For a while I used stinger transitions that were 1080P. Occasionally they slowed down my computer, but more often they would work OK, but would be a noticeable drop in quality on a 4K stream.
I made all of my transitions in 4K - So I was excited to start using them when I got my computer upgrade.
But OBS would play the 4k Transitions at ~ 1/3-1/5 speed normal - And they would cutout before they finished playing. My CPU utilization never topped 33% when playing these transitions, which I thought was odd. My graphics card didn't increase much in utilization either, and neither did the ram, but that was to be expected.
I wondered, could it be my storage device? Sometimes, the files would be gigabytes in size. Could OBS not read the files quick enough, even though they were on a SSD?
So I got a NVME drive. I installed OBS, windows 10, and put the transition files all on the same NVME drive, which is capable of multi gigabyte/sec speeds.
That didn't seem to fix the issue either.
So I try compressing the file sizes - I used a transparent WebM file type (instead of MOV), which reduced one of the 4k transitions from 2.3 GB to 33 MB. Wow! I thought, this should fix at least some issues. And it almost did. The WebM version of the transition file played about 2X as fast as the MOV file - Awesome! But still not full speed, quite. I'm unsure why this improved performance, because none of my disks ever reached over 1% utilization even with the .mov file, But I couldn't compress the 33MB video any more - My rendering software was incapable of doing so.
So I tried using Nvidia NVENC H.264 to see if that could/might improve anything - nope.
So I'm sort of stuck. My CPU utilization won't ever go above 33%, my GPU and ram don't get effected (much), and my computer still can't play the 4k transparent file at full speed (to be clear, the file has a mask too - so it's going to be even more difficult to play than a "normal" stinger. The dimensions of the file are 3840X4320, 60FPS).
To note - when looking at task manager, it appeared that OBS only used 10 threads (5 cores), and would use no more.
Any help is appreciated and welcome.

Attachments

• OBS Log.txt
    15.9 KB · Views: 14

Planet_Xtreme

**The transition is sized @ 7860X2160 res.
I also just tested a non-masked stinger transition that had the resolution 3840X2160 as a mov file. It still had trouble playing full speed. HOWEVER!!! When I used the WebM file format, it could play. Why is the data size of the transition even relevant? And why aren't all my CPU cores being used to make it play full speed? I have a NVME drive, OBS shouldn't have to struggle to read data at all; I saw less than 1% utilization on that drive. Does OBS store the transitions on my ram or something? Maybe it's the codec of the file? I really would like an answer on this.
Still can't do masked 4k stinger transitions though. That's really unfortunate.

Last edited: