3080 High OBS idle gpu utilization (25-50%)

carlmmii

This is going to sound absolutely ludicrous, but what happens to your performance if you change your primary monitor? (Along with keeping OBS and the game on the same monitors you've been using so far, if possible)

T0XiiC

This is going to sound absolutely ludicrous, but what happens to your performance if you change your primary monitor? (Along with keeping OBS and the game on the same monitors you've been using so far, if possible)
How exactly do you mean? Did that fix the issue for u?

carlmmii

I have the reverse issue with one of my systems (RTX 2070, R9 3900x). Can play any game just fine on the primary monitor, but switching to any other monitor without a gpu-accelerated process on the primary monitor will put the GPU into some kind of low utilization mode (i.e. SotTR in menu goes from 90+fps down to 30fps locked, while actually in focus).

It's frustrating and confusing that in order to play games on an Aux monitor, I have to load up OBS just to trick the system into thinking it needs to kick the GPU into gear.

That's why I'm wondering if it's something related to the primary monitor and where your programs' windows are running on. Not going to be the exact problem I have, but may be related, and could possibly reveal some setting within the Nvidia control panel that might have some kind of control over this behavior.

Sukiyucky

Throwing this out there...

Since you are running Chrome and using it likely for watching the return stream back from Twitch/YouTube on your secondary monitor, does the problem go away if you turn off Chrome's GPU acceleration or watch the return stream on another computer?

T0XiiC

Any of you guys already tried it with a fresh install of windows?

New driver did not fix it for me

jessbrown11

Yea I just installed new drivers...nothing.

Was just about to ask if anyone had found a fix yet?

I was debating on a fresh windows install but REALLY don't feel like doing that right now.

@carlmmii - changing primary monitor didn't do anything.

@Sukiyucky - happens with obs even with chrome completely closed.

T0XiiC

Im trying it with a studio driver now. If that doesnt work, Im going back to a driver before RTX release and see if that helps

Will probably re-install windows on a different ssd on friday / saturday and remove the current installation.

T0XiiC

Alright. Tried both drivers, the studio one and the one from early september (3080 launch). Both have the same issue.

Only thing I can think of now is a fresh windows install...

WinKe

Did anyone find a solution?
Im having the same problems
on a brand new pc with i9 10900k and asus tuf rtx 3080
Just opening obs drops about 60-70fps while NOT streaming or recording.
Running obs as admin didn’t change anything, it possibly made things eaven worse because at some point a game like SoT that runs on my pc between 180-240fps dropped to 60fps with obs.

jessbrown11

Did anyone find a solution?
Im having the same problems
on a brand new pc with i9 10900k and asus tuf rtx 3080
Just opening obs drops about 60-70fps while NOT streaming or recording.
Running obs as admin didn’t change anything, it possibly made things eaven worse because at some point a game like SoT that runs on my pc between 180-240fps dropped to 60fps with obs.

Main thing that I found to help was keeping the preview disabled. Also update your drivers and update nvidia broadcast. I have a feeling an older version of broadcast was causing some problems with the webcam or something, I still have no clue though. I haven't been streaming as much lately but I streamed some apex the other night and wasn't taking much of a performance hit. Was keeping steady around the 150fps mark with max settings.

I'm pretty sure it's a known issue on nvidia's side. They keep listing in their driver release notes that there is a known issue with high gpu idling with certain high refresh rate monitors. Not sure if this is what they are referring to or not but I'm hoping it is.

Jss20

I have the same probleme , I9 9900k , evga 3080 xc3 ultra , if my OBS is open even without streaming i got 30-50 fps drop in Warzone ( did not try other game ) i just cant stream anymore thats anoying ....

Coxinigo

I have the same probleme , I9 9900k , evga 3080 xc3 ultra , if my OBS is open even without streaming i got 30-50 fps drop in Warzone ( did not try other game ) i just cant stream anymore thats anoying ....

Could anyone from here try what I have done?
Go to windows settings - game mode - graphics settings - change to "ON" hardware accelerated (Restart your PC)

Hardware-accelerated-GPU-scheduling.jpg

Just in case I disabled windows 10 animations, because I found out that when OBS was just minimized in the windows taskbar my GPU usage was lower.
Run OBS as administrator.
Please let me know if this works for anyone else.With this configuration I have like 20-30 fps more while gaming with OBS

TominationTime

I wanted to chime in on this issue as I managed to solve it. I recently got an RTX 3080 (Gigabyte Aorus). Previously had a 2080 with zero issues in OBS. Once I upgraded to the 3080, I immediately started having massive lag issues in OBS. OBS was just simply open and idling, which led to 80-99% GPU usage. Whereas with the 2080 right before the video card swap, OBS would idle around 10-25% GPU usage which is normal for me because I use 6 cameras + 550+ scenes. Yes, I am insane. Moral of the story is, 2080 I had no issues. Swapped in the 3080 video card, immediately had max GPU usage issues during an idle OBS.

I went through all the internet forums/reddits to find others having this same issue and not able to solve it through all the basic troubleshooting steps (run OBS as admin mode, latest drivers, enable game mode, HAGS, Xbox game bar, etc. etc.).

TL;DR My solution? I had to reseat the video card. Yes it sounds insanely simple and I do not get it, but this somehow solved the problem.

Longer description: I thought perhaps the PCI E slot was having problems so I wanted to try out different slots. I had to rip out all my other PCI cards (USB expansion card and MSI 710 for additional monitors, yes I have 5 monitors because I'm insane). Right after ripping out the other cards and swapping slots, the 3080 was purring along fine with an open and idle OBS just like the 2080 was with GPU usage idling around 10-25% (normal for my OBS).

I started to swap everything back to the original configuration with readding cards back in (including putting the 3080 back into the original PCI E slot) and it was still working. It was as if the bad nightmare never even happened and the 3080 no longer had issues. (Only other possible accidental solution was I did swap USB cables around unintentionally because I'm pretty sure I did not 100% put all USB cables back in their original configuration, but I doubt this caused the 99% GPU usage while OBS idled).

I don't get it, but I won't argue with the results. I hope this might help someone else out in the future who may have a similar problem.

ADDITIONAL INFO:
-Running a simple 3d FPS game did not send my GPU to 99% usage
-I did plenty of reboots
-OBS was idling with zero streaming/recording going on, yet ramping up to 80-99% GPU usage
-Swapping to a "fresh" OBS with zero scenes did bring down GPU usage a lot, but when I started adding cameras, GPU usage was starting to shoot up fast (roughly 5-20% GPU usage per camera added with Elgato Cam Link CamLink being the worst offender)

FULL SPECS:
GIGABYTE RTX3080 AORUS MASTER
AMD Threadripper 1950x
ASUS PRIME X399-A AMD Threadripper TR4 DDR4 M.2 U.2 X 399 EATX HEDT Motherboard
G.SKILL 32GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4 3000MHz
1200W PSU
Intel Solid State Drive (SSD), 660P Series, 1 TB

TominationTime

I wanted to add one more update to my message above. Now that I think about it some more, I would guess the extremely high GPU usage might have come from some bad combo of display capture + two video cards fighting over displays. I know display capture is not optimal for performance, but I need to use it sometimes when I show stuff on screen. My two video cards (3080 and 710) might have had some kind of conflict that OBS could not resolve on choosing which display to find.

I'm completely speculating on all of this, but I would guess that when I started to take out cards and reseat the 3080, OBS was no longer having issues figuring how which displays to grab and somehow the GPU usage went down to normal.

Either way, if someone else were to run into this problem, I'd start with troubleshooting by eliminating other PCI E cards and all other displays. Slowly add them back in to see if it self resolves.

Héraès

I had to rip out all my other PCI cards ... Right after ripping out the other cards and swapping slots, the 3080 was purring along fine
I don't get it, but I won't argue with the results.
It's called PCI Lanes. Nowadays it's managed by CPUs instead of chipsets, and there is a max limit. So when you pump to much on each PCI/PCI-E slots, your CPU can no longer manage all. By removing some PCI cards you simply made some place.

tonynca

I'm running a 3080 FE + Quadro P1000 and I'm having this same issue. OBS would use 10-15% GPU 3d just sitting there. It's causing my games to lose FPS. I need the Quadro P1000 so removing it is not an option. (I run a lot of monitors). Anyone got a solution?