3080 High OBS idle gpu utilization (25-50%)

jessbrown11

Hello - I recently upgraded to a 3080 from my 1080ti and all of a sudden I started getting massive frame drops from just opening up OBS without even streaming. I went into my task manager to check what was going on and my GPU usage from obs itself is at 25-50%...This is with or without preview turned off.

I never had any problem like this on my 1080ti so not sure what is going on. Did a clean wipe on the drivers multiple times and reinstalled OBS.

Just thought it was odd this was happening when I wasn't even streaming...Just simply having obs open is causing it.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

1606204288147.png

jessbrown11

Here's the new log: https://obsproject.com/logs/d-wNni1baUokGapi

This is with preview running:
1606208651110.png

Without preview on I'm in the 10-20% range now it seems.

Yes I'm using nvec encoder. Again, this is all while I'm not even streaming. I'm taking a 20-30fps hit just by opening obs, with NO preview on, not streaming.

I used to always stream with my preview up on my 1080ti and I never had any frame hits ever. Is this some sort of driver issue on nvidias side on the new cards???

Thanks for helping me.

jessbrown11

Yes drivers are up to date.

These are the same monitors and refresh rates I was using on the 1080ti. I bought a 3080 to run 1440p @ 165hz haha, not 120. If I'm just screwed then so be it, I just thought it was a little odd I was losing so many frames just by opening OBS and having it idle.

I appreciate you trying to help me!!!

jessbrown11

Yea but the 1080ti wasn't having a problem with this at all.

I noticed that if I minimize obs altogether while my game is up, my frames jump back up about 20 fps (when obs is full screen I lose 30fps in game). It sounds like there is some sort of driver issue going on with nvidia.

jessbrown11

No I didn't dude. Pretty maddening. Was essentially getting better performance streaming with my 1080ti than I am with this 3080. I have to assume it's some sort of nvidia/windows driver issue. I have no clue.

I'd like some more input from others if they have any ideas. Again, just opening obs I lose 30fps in world of warcraft. If I disable preview, I'm down 20 fps. If I minimize OBS but keep it open, I lose about 10 fps. Odd behavior. This is WITHOUT THE STREAM EVEN BEING ON. just having obs open, not streaming, I'm losing a ridiculous amount of fps and utilization jumps between 10-50%.

IF you figure anything out please let me know.

RaDDiveR

sure, you too! I tried to roll back to an earlier version of Windows and the video card driver and everything is useless.

jessbrown11

sure, you too! I tried to roll back to an earlier version of Windows and the video card driver and everything is useless.

I JUST noticed that it does it with chrome too if I pull up a stream on my secondary monitor in game, I instantly lose 20-30fps. HAS to be some sort of nvidia driver issue. If I move to a diff tab with no video, it's fine. Chrome GPU usage is jumping over 60 from watching a twitch stream...

T0XiiC

I recently upgraded to a 3080 also.

Just today, after a few days of trying back and forth I noticed that im losing a bunch of FPS just by having OBS open while playing (COD CW for example). There must be an issue with the drivers.

T0XiiC

Asus TUF OC. So we all have a factory OC card but different model. Maybe theres an issue with the factory OC on our cards?

TryHD

what are the clocks you have with obs and without obs and what clocks do you have while no game is running and obs is idling?
You can use gpu-z to log that.

T0XiiC

what are the clocks you have with obs and without obs and what clocks do you have while no game is running and obs is idling?
You can use gpu-z to log that.
1785 MHz with OBS open, no games. Theres an issue tho if your monitors dont have the same refreshrate your GPU wont clock into idle or something so not sure if that core clock is actually true.

And while gaming its between 2000 and 2100.

RaDDiveR

I think I've figured out a little bit about what's going on. In the latest version of Windows, the task monitor does not display the GPU chip loading in 3D, but any current maximum. That is, when I click to start broadcasting without a game, the GPU works as much as possible on video incoding, and not on 3D, and this figure is very surprising to us. However, this does not change the fact that in Horizon ZD I lose 20% of fps when streaming. Or maybe this is normal? During these 2 days of constant tests, I was tired and confused ) forgive my English, I just really want us to solve this problem and I'll calmly stream again )

T0XiiC

I think I've figured out a little bit about what's going on. In the latest version of Windows, the task monitor does not display the GPU chip loading in 3D, but any current maximum. That is, when I click to start broadcasting without a game, the GPU works as much as possible on video incoding, and not on 3D, and this figure is very surprising to us. However, this does not change the fact that in Horizon ZD I lose 20% of fps when streaming. Or maybe this is normal? During these 2 days of constant tests, I was tired and confused ) forgive my English, I just really want us to solve this problem and I'll calmly stream again )
For me its like I lose like 80 fps just by having OBS open, no stream or recording on