Question / Help 2012 Mac Mini streamed with minor dropped frames last week, but not now

Littlefoot

Hello. I'm brand new to streaming video, and I have gotten a lot of help from reading this forum to get our live stream working last week, including using a filter to offset video! What a great support group this is!

I've searched here, and can't really find an answer for minimum specs using a Mac Mini. Last week, we streamed at 720, and this week, I can't get more than 540. My specs are:

2012 Mac Mini, 16GB RAM, i5 Quad core, 1tb SSD, Intel HD graphics, OSX Mojave
Using BlackMagic Mini Recorder receiving HDMI input from a Roland V-02HD 2 channel switcher.
I'm trying to use 1080 or at least 720 at 30fps. Our upload speed is around 6mbps.

Last week, we streamed at 720p, and while there were a few dropped frames, it still streamed fairly well. This week during our service practice, all attempts to stream at 720 were extremely choppy, and I noticed encoding overload message. The only difference is, last week I was streaming only, this week I tried streaming and recording. I thought that may have caused the problem, so I turned off recording and streamed again, and the problem persists. What am I doing wrong? Did a new version of OBS come out? I did have automatically update OBS turned on, and I've turned that off.

Can anyone help me? Was it a fluke that the first stream even worked at all? Or should this Mac Mini be able to handle streaming? Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Johnpip

This was happening to me so often, I finally just installed a bootcamp partition with windows 10 and ran OBS there. Runs so much smoother. Still have dropped frames here and there but at least I can stream. OBS and older Mac Mini's just dont get a long.