Question / Help 1st gen i7?

oomph

Hey guys,

I am in the process of building a 2nd PC to dedicate as a streaming machine. If at all possible, I have some older hardware laying around that I would like to use on this build.

It's an X58 motherboard with an i7 920 CPU. I plan on putting an Elgato HD60 in this PC and capturing my gaming onto it.

Is this CPU adequate to stream with?

If so, could I do it at 1080P 60FPS?

Thanks!

alpinlol

No, the 1st Gen Intel CPUs are really weak when it comes to streaming. You would need at least a Sandy Bridge i7 (2600/2700) but even then they are already running into their limits with 1080p30 if OCed maybe 60fps so theres no real benefit.

There are Cheap Dell PowerEdge T30 Systems with Intel Xeon E3 1230v3 those are 4C/8T just like an i7.

What Hardware do you currently have?

Boildown

It won't do 1080p60 unless there's very little action, like a card game or something. 1080p60 is fairly difficult to encode at a decent preset. 720p would be a lot more doable. That's assuming you have a quad core with hyperthreading, which the i7-920 seems to have. Don't forget the GPU, you'll need a GTX-quality (not GT) video card from the 500 generation or later or the AMD equivilent. OBS uses both the GPU and CPU.