Resource icon

Mac Desktop-Audio using BlackHole

This is a guide on how to get desktop audio into obs or other applications on macs. This will be done using Blackhole audio.

1. Download here (note, you will have to put in your email but that is to get the download link, if you would not like to use an email you can install using homebrew by following the instructions here)
blackhole pic.jpg

2. Once you get an email from BlackHole audio, open the link. It will take you to the download page. Download the 16 ch version and install.
blackhole 2.jpg

If, when you open the download, you get a message about not being able to open 3rd party apps, go to the file location in Finder. Then right-click the file and click open, then confirm to open the installer.

3. Install Blackhole by following the installer instructions.

4. Open the audio midi setup app pre-installed on all macs. Then add a new multi-output device.
1611590527132.png

5. Next, configure the settings as shown, make sure that the Mac speakers are listed as the master device and are on the top of the list.
1611590551073.png

6. Add this device in obs. You can either do this by scene by adding a audio output capture source, or you can do it for all your scenes and add it in settings > audio > desktop audio
1611591221851.png

1611591195721.png

7. Open up system preferences then select the sound menu, then the output tab. Next, select the Multi-Output device as the default device. Note: If the app you want to capture audio from has a special menu to select what device you want to output to, make sure the multi-output device is selected.
1619570928949.png

1616953298215.png

8. All done!

With any questions go reach out on the OBS Discord in the #macos-support channel
  • 1616953253631.png
    1616953253631.png
    291 KB · Views: 4,396
Author
asher_the_thrasher
Views
First release
Last update
Rating
3.71 star(s) 7 ratings

Latest reviews

Easy to follow instructions. Successful install! Looking forward to using it. Thanks :)
Works nice, but I always hear a 2nd audio play after another audio plays first. Anyone know how to fix?
i was shearching for a solution for over 7 month before finding this amazing thread randomly
everything worked as expected, the guide was simple and clear, solved a 7month problem

also i had to select the device in the audio setting else i couldn record anything from it but thanks
I feel like I am getting so close, but the screenshots don't match. I'm on a 2021 Macbook (with Monterey) and using an Easycap type video capture to digitize VHS tapes. I'm finally getting a pretty good video signal but no audio. I installed Blackhole and selected it in my Sound>Input on the Mac and then added an audio input source in OBS but still nothing....suggestions?
I created an account to leave a review and express my appreciation. Thanks to this guide, I can finally record audio with video on my Mac.

I was stumped briefly on step 4, because I wasn't aware of the Audio MIDI Setup software on my device. But it was just a matter of finding it. The rest was smooth sailing.
Funny, I already spent 2 hours trying to figure out what's wrong, found this thread and these illustrations. I thought: wow finally, someone got exact problem like mine and even steps are exactly the same. I was ready to scroll down to see the question and answer, but then I realised the whole thread is instruction, not question or issue. I give up, I tried blackhole, soundflower, reinstalling obs, different options of OBS with different outputs, inputs, channels, bitrate, exports, different configurations of midi devices, different audio speakers but while Movavi and native recorder can capture the sound, OBS studio does not see it at all.
asher_the_thrasher
asher_the_thrasher
Hey, come on down to the obs discord and I can take a look to see if I can help you out. https://obsproject.com/discord Just ping me and I’ll be able to take a look
Precise description of what you have to, with pictures illustrating everything.
Even small details like telling users how to install third party apps and a link on how to install BlackHole via Homebrew (the no-email option) have been added.
Pretty much everything that could be in there is in there.