CamRename

Semi-free CamRename 0.3 - Change "-" into "_" before renaming cam

https://faltinek.de/freestuff/obs/micrename.mp4

I have seriously looked into whether or not a microphone that comes with a webcam could be completely renamed as well. E.g. if you have two Logitech C920 their mics will both show up like this in device manager and also in OBS:
  • Microphone (HD Pro Webcam C920)
  • Microphone (HD Pro Webcam C920)
There is no way to distinguish between them in e.g. OBS. Here is the thing: although a cam is one piece of hardware, windows treats them of course as a cam and a mic. And treatment of video devices differs a lot from how Windows manages audio devices.

A cam can be renamed with CamRename - and I do that in the registry. A mic cannot be completely renamed - but the good news is, that its name has two parts.

In the example Microphone can be changed and HD Pro Webcam C920 cannot.

In this video I show you where in the registry the entries can be found, which part can be changed, and what happens to a changed friendly name that previously read HD Pro Webcam C920 after a USB replug...it resets back to HD Pro Webcam C920

Important: the video also shows how to rename the first part using Windows standard dialogs - so watch it til the end:

https://faltinek.de/freestuff/obs/micrename.mp4

rename camera
rename microphone
In case you work with CamooZ: the "-" character will be used by it to split between camera name and profile name in the profiles list, e.g.:

HD Pro Webcam C920 - Profile 01
HD Pro Webcam C920 - Profile 02
etc.

Renaming a webcam to e.g. HD Pro Webcam C920 - Nr1 would result in
HD Pro Webcam C920 - Nr1 - Profile 01

This will confuse CamooZ, hence CamRename will from now on replace "-" with "_" before renaming
Fixed a minor issue: remove trailing or leading blanks/spaces from a copied and pasted license key.
Reactions: mirror777
All USB webcams can be renamed - and with this version you can rename certain (not all) virtual cams as well. Virtual cam renaming tested successfully with Snap Camera and EƖgato Virtual Camera.

1668015939264.png