Question / Help YouTube streaming: Audio goes out of sync

Mike Freeman

I'm not sure where in the process the problem is occurring, but here's our setup and the problem:

Setup: We are a church using a Linux Mint system running OBS in combination with Nginx RTMP-enabled server so that we can stream our worship services to both an overflow room in another building, as well as livestreamed on YouTube at the same time. We are also using OBS to record the service to the hard drive as a backup, in case the stream goes badly (which it often does).

The stream in our overflow room is perfect. It's just an m3u8 RTMP stream from Nginx directly over our network, to the viewer software, and doesn't touch YouTube or the Internet. The recording from OBS is also perfect.

Problem: While the live stream is going on YouTube, there is a slight sync delay between the video and the audio (like maybe 100 to 200ms). It's not huge, but noticable. The real problem occurs after the live stream ends. When YouTube saves the video, sometimes the sync is about the same as the live stream was. Other times, it can be off by over one minute. And other times, it can start out perfectly in sync, but over the course of the approximately 1 hour video, the sync gets further and further off until the audio is several seconds out of sync with the video. It's extremely inconsistent. We often end up having to delete the stream and upload our recorded backup, which takes hours.

This may not be an OBS problem, but I've gotten no results asking in the Nginx forums, and no results sending feedback to YouTube. Any advice anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Only thing I can think of that might help, is setting the "sync" option to help with making sure audio and video are in sync.