Youtube HLS or RTMP? What's the difference.

Leofunk

Setting up for my first live concert stream and I see my choices for Youtuve are either Youtube HLS or Youtube RTMP. What is the correct selection?
thanks.

GME

Is this political speak for the fact that you do support HEVC but choose not to "expose it" due to a deal made with you (OBS) and the licensing holders?

WizardCM

Forum Moderator
Community Helper
Is this political speak for the fact that you do support HEVC but choose not to "expose it" due to a deal made with you (OBS) and the licensing holders?
I don't do political speak. I personally don't know the licenses well enough to comment accurately, I just know that due to the complexity of the license(s) for HEVC, OBS does not provide a way to use HEVC when encoding. My perspective on this topic is incredibly simple because I have never had a reason to dig into HEVC myself - I'm just a random code contributor & support volunteer when it comes down to it.

Reactions: GME
Being that OBS supports custom FFMPEG output, I'd recommend you try that route using the nvenc_hevc output in advanced options if you want to use hevc that badly.

Another route would be to either send a full screen projector output from program (or decklink output if you have a BM card) out to a separate hardware HEVC HLS encoder.

Last edited:
Reactions: GME

GME

Being that OBS supports custom FFMPEG output, I'd recommend you try that route using the nvenc_hevc output in advanced options if you want to use hevc that badly.

Another route would be to either send a full screen projector output from program (or decklink output if you have a BM card) out to a separate hardware HEVC HLS encoder.
Unfortunately I only have an AMD (RX480) in my system, was just curious :) Thanks for the info though, will come in handy for the future maybe :)