Question / Help Yellow frame on a captured window

hypnotoad

When I capture any window (like browser) there is an yellow frame over it. How can I disable it? This feature was introduced in one of the latest updates, I think, because earlier there was no such behavior. I am using OBS 25.0.1 (64-bit).

Last edited:

FerretBomb

This feature was added by Microsoft to alert users when a window is being captured. It cannot be disabled. It is there to act as an indicator for the end user in case some malware sneaks onto your machine and starts using the capture API to watch your windows to steal data, for example. As OBS is capturing these windows (at your request, by pointing a window or game capture at them), the yellow 'window is being captured' alert surround indicator is activated. There is no way to turn it off.

hypnotoad

Thank you! I have already found that I can simply use old "bitblt" capture method in window capture options to get rid of this annoying yellow frame.

koala

This is a valid workaround, but keep in mind there are some apps that can only be captured with the new setting - with bitblt these windows stay incomplete, plain white or plain black. For these the new capture method was implemented.

frozander

If you are like me and you are on a laptop with 2 GPUs (integrated and discrete), DXGI method does not work if you are using the integrated one for desktop (Hybrid mode).

Well I think I found the solution but it is a bit extreme.

There is a Windows API option called IsBorderRequired, which is supported on builds 20340 and up. OBS checks for this option and tries to disable the border if it exists. As of right now only way to get it is to be on at least Beta Channel of Windows Insiders Programme. But this prompts the app to ask for your consent and if you accept Border gets disabled.