The following packages have unmet dependencies:
obs-studio : Depends: libavcodec-ffmpeg56 (>= 7:2.4) but it is not installable
Depends: libavdevice-ffmpeg56 (>= 7:2.4) but it is not installable
Depends: libavfilter-ffmpeg5 (>= 7:2.4) but it is not installable
Depends: libavformat-ffmpeg56 (>= 7:2.4) but it is not installable
Depends: libavutil-ffmpeg54 (>= 7:2.4) but it is not installable
Depends: libswresample-ffmpeg1 (>= 7:2.4) but it is not installable
Depends: libswscale-ffmpeg3 (>= 7:2.4) but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

3) My ffmpeg version is 3.0.0
kashu:/tmp$ dpkg -s ffmpeg | grep Version
Version: 7:3.0.0+git~trusty

The version of this ffmpeg(2.4.3) is too old. (https://launchpad.net/~kirillshkrogalev/+archive/ubuntu/ffmpeg-next)

I want to keep my current ffmpeg(3.0.0) version and install the OBS Studio.
How should I do? Many thanks in advance.

PDGDeth

Im having a similar problem. I cant install ffmpeg or obs. Im using a 64bit ubuntu installation. Version 14.04

Devin Buck

I have tried this, but I get the following. I have FFMPEG on the current version, and it still doesn't work.

The error message is:

Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable distribution then some required packages have not yet been created or have moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
obs-studio : Depends: libqt5gui5 (>=5.2.0) but is not going to be installed or
libqt5gui5-gles but is not installable
Depends: libqt5widget5 (>=5.2.0) but is not going to be installed
Depends: libqt5x11extras5 (>=5.2.0) but is not going to be installed

scoutchorton

I found a solution for a similar issue I was having, and it may not work exactly, but the thought process should work the same. Also, I know this is a two year old post, but for those coming from Google, here is my two-sense:

I had a similar issue, with dependency issues with libavdevice-ffmpeg56 and libfdk-aac0. I searched Google for the libavdevice package, and was taken to this site. At the bottom of the page, there's a section to download the files. My computer is amd64, so I followed that link. I downloaded it, used sudo dpkg -i to install it, but had more issues. I went on a wild goose chase, downloading multiple packages, to then see a little text box on the top of the page.

If you are running Ubuntu, it is strongly suggested to use a package manager like aptitude or synaptic to download and install packages, instead of doing so manually via this website.

You should be able to use any of the listed mirrors by adding a line to your /etc/apt/sources.list like this:

deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-security main universe

So I used nano to add that line to the bottom of my /etc/apt/sources.list file (sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list). Then, I ran sudo apt update twice (there was an issue with some success script) and then libavdevice-ffmpeg56 installed without an issue. Then I still had an issue with libfdk-aac0. Repeating the same process, there was another line to add to the /etc/apt/sources.list. I added that to the file, sudo apt update, and sudo apt install obs-studio worked without conflict.

I hope this helped someone out!