Question / Help X264, medium, 1080P, 60hz, 6000 bitrate, dual streaming PC. Will the AMD Ryzen 7 1700 do the job?

David123456

I am looking to buy a new processor. My i7-6700k dedicated stream pc (dual stream setup) can only stream X264 on 720P with 60 hz, 6000 Bitrate. 1080P is toch much. My question is: Can a AMD Ryzen 7 1700 stream X264 on medium settings, 1080P, 6000 Bitrate and 60hz as a streaming deticated pc? And with ease? (the streaming pc has a Elgato HD PRO, 16 g ram and a 1050 TI 4GB.

David123456

According to https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i7-6700K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-1700/2565vs2970 the ryzen has 20% more benchmark power than the 6700k. According to test on my PC, the 6700k is able to do 1080p+6000+60Hz with "faster" preset, but not "fast" and not "medium". It's questionable if 20% more (synthetically computed) power is sufficient to encode with that demanding preset. I wouldn't count on it. And "with ease"? No.
But i have to question the site u using.
on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNK7EtXrtjs the intell 7700k is compared to the AMD 1700.
The youtube uses Cinebench with gives the 7700k a score of 1028 and the AMD 1700 a score of 1403!
Thats 40% more.
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/AMD-Ryzen-7-1700-vs-Intel-i7-7700K/2970vs2874
Only show a difference of 8%

koala

That's the dilemma with benchmarks. They all differ, because they use different metrics, different algorithms, stress different parts of the computer. And the parts of the computer and the internal circuits in a CPU behave differently across CPUs. There is no definite comparison tool. It's just better to use an arbitrary one than to use none at all or your instinct. Or hearsay.

I use Passmark, because it has such a huge library of old and current CPUs (and GPUs) and good searchable comparison tables.

If you find cinebench more appropriate, go for it. It's just way more difficult to find a library of valid comparisons. And the score depends on the software version of the benchmark. So you need way more than 1 minute for a comparison of two arbitrary CPUs someone mentioned in a forum.

BK-Morpheus

I was recording 1080p 60fps x264 very fast preset with my Ryzen 1700x @3.8GHz all cores while playing PUBGP (limited to 60fps) in 1440p. There were some small dips under 60fps here and there, but in general it was running okay.
So I'm sure, with a dedicated streaming setup, the Ryzen 1700 can handle 1080p 60fps 6000kbit/s x264 fine.

koala

If you use veryfast as preset, you can as well use nvenc on a Pascal chip (TE has a GTX 1050 Ti, so he has it) instead of x264 and get roughly the same quality at almost no CPU demand.

Noctim

This question is also relevant for me, but I'm more interested in a dedicated 2nd streaming pc with a multicore processor. Is there even any consumer CPU available that can encode a stream with "fast" or "medium" preset? I was looking for the new ryzen 2700x, but it seems, that he is "only" 15% stronger than the 1700x.

There are some Twitch streamers with godlike quality. What is their secret :D ?

BK-Morpheus

This question is also relevant for me, but I'm more interested in a dedicated 2nd streaming pc with a multicore processor. Is there even any consumer CPU available that can encode a stream with "fast" or "medium" preset? I was looking for the new ryzen 2700x, but it seems, that he is "only" 15% stronger than the 1700x.

They simply use very high bitrates or their content is bitrate-friendly.
The difference in visual quality between slow perset and fast preset is very little.

alpinlol

Either a Threadripper System with 16 Cores or an Intel Xeon System with equal core count. I think widgitybear was using a dual Xeon System with a 2x20 + HT Core System or something along those lines and was able to push 1080p60 on medium but that was approximately 1-2 Years ago.

Also the Ryzen 7 2700x will soon has reviews but its apparently just a refresh with higher clockspeed and better ram latency so 5-10% improvement probably when it comes to encoding.

koala

Here is a comparison between presets: http://blogs.motokado.com/yoshi/2011/06/25/comparison-of-x264-presets/
It's not with live streaming in mind, but if you take his fps as CPU demand (the more fps, the less CPU demand), and the the file size as quality (the lower the file size, the better the quality), you see that faster and everything below does not have a significant quality difference, but huge CPU demand difference.
So, in my opinion, you should try to get a system that encodes with "faster" preset, if you care for that little bit more quality. fast or even medium seems a waste of resources.
The veryfast preset is a very good trade-off for the budget streamer, and if you use a Nvidia 10x0 GPU, you can even use nvenc to get the same quality as veryfast with almost no CPU demand.

interspool

Ryzen 1700X overclocked to 3.8ghz will produce around 1700+ Cinebench score. The stock 1700X deserves to be overclocked so you get a decent all-core overclock (3.8 is a good target).

I stream 720p60fps @ Medium with 4 cores affinity dedicated to just OBS while gaming (Fortnite, Realm Royale, PUBG). It achieves this with 0.0% frame drops in Log file. I would imagine with all 8 cores dedicated to OBS you would be able to pull off 1080p60fps @ Medium preset. 2x as many pixels (roughly) for 1080p over 720p. Should be good to go. The truth is 1080p doesn't start looking "great" at 6000kbps until you hit Slow preset and you won't touch that with anything less than the Threadripper or maybe some 10+ core Intel's .

TFUE streams with a 1700X dedicated streaming rig and has recently switched his broadcast output back to 900p60fps from 1080p. I would imagine 900p @ Medium looked better than 1080p @ Medium in very fast motion games. 720p60fps @ Medium/6000kbps is almost overkill in terms of bitrate, but I like to squeeze out every bit of quality as I can. There is nearly 0 pixelation or artifacting at these settings.

EDIT: Oh yeah, if you decide to go 8 core route on ANY processor, don't buy a cheap motherboard. You WILL fry the VRM's. I learned the hard way. :)

bobhumplick

i can do fast or even medium (i think medium might have been at 720p though) on an 8700k while playing pubg on the same system. fast worked well but medium was not always great. pubg is very cpu intensive on a couple cores at least. and the cpu was overclocked to 5ghz as well with 3200mghz ram.

video encoding needs a few more cores but it also needs clock speeds. if you have an 8700k that only does stream encoding and no gaming im sure it will do fast at 1080p 60 and im pretty sure it will do medium or even all the way down to slow. i also think a dedicated ryzen 2700x would do at least medium but i dont think it would do as well as the 8700k at 5ghz