Written guide(with images) for streaming on twitch with 720p

Blackhive

First let me be clear I am not part of OBS's staff or programmers or anything. I'm simply posting this to help some people out. A lot of people I know that stream have wanted to try OBS but have problems transitioning the settings from xsplit to OBS. I wrote this guide out simply to help them transition to stream on twitch with a minimum of 720p 30fps. Please note that the PC requirements I suggest are simply recommendations for decent quality 720p as im sure there are other setups or people with other opinions.

NOTE: This tutorial uses OBS's 0.473b stable test version, as it contains a few better settings.

REQUIREMENTS:
UPLOAD SPEED. Go here and download ShaperProbe.exe. This will accurately tell us your upload speed and download speed. if you have an upload speed of 3-4000kbps (3-4mbps) or higher, you're in the clear.

http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~partha/diffpr ... probe.html

CPU. Make sure you have at least an i5 2500k or an AMD 6 core processor or higher. Older processors can work but they usually struggle to run both the game and the stream with veryfast CPU setting and can sometimes result in fps loss

GRAPHICS CARD. For most mid to newer games I'd recommend using an Nvidia GTX 480 or higher graphics card at the lowest settings. mid range 560 ti, high 660 ti or 680 (or any radeon equivalents).

THE SET UP:
Open OBS. Click the settings button.
encoding.jpg

broadcast_settings.jpg

video.jpg

audio.jpg

advanced.jpg

THE SCENE:
Make sure OBS is open before you launch your game.

To add game to your scene:
In OBS under sources:
-Right click in the big white box and click add>Game capture
-From the application drop down, select your game
-check "stretch image to screen" and "capture mouse cursor"

To add webcam or capture card output to your scene:
In OBS under sources:
-Right click in the big white box and click add>Video Capture Device
-From the device drop down, select your webcam
-you can use chromakey if you have a greenscreen setup

To add text to your scene:
In OBS under sources:
-Right click in the big white box and click add>Text
-You can choose your font size as well as font color, and you can even give the font an outline color as well.
-You can type the text you want or add it from a .txt file
-If you want the text to scroll from the right to the left you can set the scroll speed

To place one source on top of another right click the source and use Move Up, Move Down, Move to Top, or Move to Bottom

You can also do an entire desktop capture but this isnt very efficient for game broadcasting. to do so:
In OBS under sources:
-Right click in the big white box and click add>Software Capture
-If you want the whole screen select monitor capture and choose your monitor, if you want a specific window you have open, select window capture and select that window.
-Check "Capture mouse cursor"

--If you want just a certain portion of your screen check sub-region and use the drag-box to select the region.

austinmrs

Re: Written guide(with images) for streaming on twitch with

Noob guide i thnk. Why always cbr? And bitrate comes from your upload, it cant be always 2000 lol.

And desktop boost 5 ? I have on 1 and works fine

Blackhive

@austinmrs: "Please note that the PC requirements I suggest are simply recommendations for decent quality 720p as im sure there are other setups or people with other opinions."

secondly twitch recommends always using cbr when streaming. I simply am going by their recommendations:

http://help.twitch.tv/customer/portal/a ... trate-cbr-

lastly, I use desktop boost 5 because i want what I'm hearing to be the same volume for my viewers, because I usually adjust music or teamspeak volume individually rather than on OBS itself as one mass volume

Sorry if you think it's a "noob guide". the guide was meant to help people just getting started on OBS who dont know much about the settings.

@LemonWag1: You should be able to right click in the big white sources box and add>Video Capture Device then select your capture card

tokala

Thanks for the guide, i diddnt even know the stuff with the cbr.. appreciate it :3

PrefoX

tokala said:
Thanks for the guide, i diddnt even know the stuff with the cbr.. appreciate it :3
dont use it oO

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin

PrefoX said:
tokala said:
dont use it oO
No, DO use it. Since your bandwidth usage becomes more stable, there aren't nearly as many spikes in bit rate, which means less stuttering for viewers.

However, I disagree with the OP's blanket prescription of 2000 bit rate (or 2500). It really varies by game, and what each user has available in terms of bandwidth. I recommend using http://obsproject.com/estimator to find good settings on a per-user basis.