Bug Report Works Game 1 & 2, Black Screen Game 3

Eric Stork

I tested out OBS Studio recording with one game, Freedom Force, and it worked fine.
Tested with Neverwinter Nights 2, worked fine.
Now I try to record Shadow Era, an online game, always black screens.
First I had Mode as Capture Any Fullscreen Application, works Game 1 & 2, not 3.
Now I have a separate Source for SE, Mode is Capture Specific Window and Window is [ShadowEra.exe]: Shadow Era.
I have also tried Window Match Priority both as Executable Name and Window Title.
Black Screen every time for Shadow Era.

Don't know how to add the Log File so here is the link:
https://gist.github.com/anonymous/12044dfe97c75c48545142c2eccf458d

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
The instructions for Shadow Era for PC say "after install, be sure to right-click the launcher icon and select "Run as Administrator".

If you're doing that, you'll have to run OBS Studio as an administrator to capture it with Game or Window Capture.

Eric Stork

Odd, never noticed that. I have been running SE without Administrator forever and never had problems.
Even odder, OBS (non-Studio) has no problems recording it so I believe that shows the problem is somewhere in the differences between OBS and OBS Studio or I have something I do not understand in OBS Studio set up wrong.

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
Ah, Shadow Era is Unity. We've seen issues capturing Unity games when their settings are too high. See this post and the few posts after it.

Eric Stork

While SE can be done through Unity, they also have downloads for several devices (Android, iOS, Kindle, Mac and PC). I am not using Unity, I am using the PC download at this link in the Pc and Mac section.

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
Yes, I'm aware that there is a PC version of the game. I linked you to that same page earlier.

Unity games can run on Android, iOS, macOS (formerly Mac OS X), Linux, Windows, and more. Unity games can also run in web browsers via the Unity Web Player (though I believe the Unity Web Player is being phased out by browsers, and Shadow Era no longer supports their web version). The Shadow Era Wikipedia page indicates that the game engine is Unity. Forum posts by their developers indicate that the game is Unity. If you know of something that indicates that the PC version game does not use Unity, I'm all ears. I'm not sure why they'd bother writing the game for Unity and then rewriting for something else specific for PC when they wouldn't have to.

Have you tried adjusting the resolution or game settings?

Last edited:

Eric Stork

Just tried it today, still no go.
I did find out there are 2 programs involved, Shadow Era Launcher.exe and Shadow Era.exe. I could set up a capture for the first but after a couple of startup screens, the Launcher.exe stops running and the second one kicks in. That is the one Studio will not capture even when I set it up correctly.
Sorry, didn't know the difference between the Unity player and engine, I have always thought the downloads were different though I do not know full details on that.

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
Have you tried using Window Capture instead of Game Capture? How about Display Capture with cropping?

Eric Stork

Yes to both, neither worked.
I put OBS non-Studio back on my computer and checked Settings again to see how I got it to work there. Monitor Capture records it fine. I do not see that in Studio but I guess Display is the same?
I noticed in the topic you linked earlier someone once put up screens from both OBS Settings to help find why something was not working. Perhaps I should do that?

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
While that person did post screenshots of all of their settings to try to diagnose the black game capture issue, but also their OBS Studio performance issues. In the end, their Classic<->Studio settings didn't seem to affect the black game capture issue, and the only thing that fixed that was changing the game's graphics settings. You can still post your Classic and Studio settings if you want, I'm just not sure that that's where the issue is.

Eric Stork

Interesting, while taking time to get these Settings screenshots, I also discovered a few other programs Studio will not record.

Not recordable by Game, Display or Window Capture
Shadow Era (Launcher yes, Game no)
Starfleet Command Gold (GOG)
Neverwinter Nights (Original CDs)

Recordable
Neverwinter Nights 2 (GOG)
Freedom Force (GOG)
Freedom Force vs the Third Reich (GOG)
Magic Duels (Steam)

Maybe more than the Unity player involved.

Well here they are. I only took shots of certain parts of Settings that I thought would be relevant.

General
obs-1-general.jpg

obs-studio-1-general.jpg

Video
obs-3-video.jpg

obs-studio-4-video.jpg

Advanced
obs-4-advanced.jpg

obs-studio-5-advanced.jpg

Encoding (Classic)
obs-2-encoding.jpg

Output (Studio-all)
obs-studio-2-output-simple.jpg

obs-studio-3-output-advanced-1.jpg

obs-studio-3-output-advanced-2.jpg

Eric Stork

A further note.
I got the 3 non-working games to work under Display Capture. All I did was add 2 Sources I did not know I needed, Audio Input Capture and Audio Output Capture.
Neverwinter Nights 1 and Shadow Era appear to work now with Display Capture using those three Sources.
Starfleet Command Gold sorta works, it displays and sounds fine, it just is not centered on the screen. I think this is because it is an older game that did not support modern resolutions like mine 1600x900. I have to find the set resolution then maybe create a separate Display Capture with the lower Base Capture Resolution and see what happens.

rairedha

I have read your writings and I have read articles on this topic in several articles from other sources. I got a lot of information from your writing, is there any other suggestions you can convey regarding the theme of your writing? so that I can get more and more complete information.

UMA

LPM

rairedha

muldicas

coesca

divessar