Question / Help Black screen game capture

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
Is it a DirectX 12 or Vulkan based renderer in use?
That was my thought, so I was trying to look that up, but info on the game seems to be a bit sparse. Is there a way to detect that from the executable itself?

Harold

Not easily, but if it's using one of those two renderers, it won't be able to be captured with game capture for a while yet.

kyomoto

Alright I'm going to do a comparison of various part of the settings for OBS Studio and the old OBS. I really want to figure out what's the dilemma here.

Encoding (Recording):

aHNMmnm.png

kyZzSGZ.png

Video Section:
2WbFC9Y.png

MVaRpZl.png

Advanced Section:
RgBTLnb.png

5caF4n9.png

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
There are at least a few differences in your settings from OBS Classic to OBS Studio. I'll try to point out what changes to make to bring your OBS Studio settings in line with your OBS Classic settings.

Output
Recording
CPU Usage Preset: ultrafast
Profile: high
x264 Options: (make this blank - CRF is already set in the CRF field)

Video

Downscale Filter: Bilinear

Advanced
General
Process Priority: Above Normal

Keep in mind that all of this may still not make OBS Studio behave exactly like OBS Classic. Please post a description of any changed behavior and a new log after making these changes.

Suslik V

For me Black Screen with this game and 'Game Capture' source only happens if game running full screen resolution (equal to my monitor resolution, I mean) and quality set to Fantastic or Beautiful. If I change resolution of the game to lower then my screen size (1280x1024 to 1280x960 for example) then all things are good. And if game renders at Good graphics quality then no matter what resolution in game I choose.

My log if it helps: https://gist.github.com/3dc0d9e52574994bcbc2c9fd73d94bc9

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
For me Black Screen with this game and 'Game Capture' source only happens if game running full screen resolution (equal to my monitor resolution, I mean) and quality set to Fantastic or Beautiful. If I change resolution of the game to lower then my screen size (1280x1024 to 1280x960 for example) then all things are good. And if game renders at Good graphics quality then no matter what resolution in game I choose.

My log if it helps: https://gist.github.com/3dc0d9e52574994bcbc2c9fd73d94bc9

Yes, that post and log do both help. Interestingly, your process name (DiscoDiscomfort_w32.exe) is different from what we've seen (DiscoDiscomfort.exe). Are you running 32-bit Windows?

I can also successfully capture it with Game Capture after swapping around a few settings. I did not do an exhaustive test of every setting combination, but here's what worked for me (not running as administrator for any of these):
  • 1920x1080, fullscreen, Good quality
  • 1680x1050, windowed, Good quality
  • 1600x900, windowed, Good quality
  • 1280x720, fullscreen, Good quality
  • 1280x720, windowed, Good quality
  • 1600x900, fullscreen, Fantastic quality
  • 1680x1050, fullscreen, Fantastic quality
  • 1280x720, fullscreen, Fantastic quality
Code:
Resolution |  Windowed  |  Quality
1920x1080  | fullscreen | Good
1680x1050  | windowed   | Good
1600x900   | windowed   | Good
1280x720   | fullscreen | Good
1280x720   | windowed   | Good
1600x900   | fullscreen | Fantastic
1680x1050  | fullscreen | Fantastic
1280x720   | fullscreen | Fantastic

As @Suslik V said, it seems that "Good" quality worked with most anything else. "Fantastic" quality only seems to work fullscreen when the game's resolution is set lower than your display's resolution. I have no idea why that is the case, but there you go.

Thank you @Suslik V for helping with troubleshooting!

Last edited:

Suslik V

32-bit sys? Yes. About file name - I don't know, this is only the exe I had after unzip the game (there is girl in the hall riding on the unicorn, holding bottle in her hands - this game?). Maybe auto-detection on download or so.

kyomoto

Yes, that post and log do both help. Interestingly, your process name (DiscoDiscomfort_w32.exe) is different from what we've seen (DiscoDiscomfort.exe). Are you running 32-bit Windows?

I can also successfully capture it with Game Capture after swapping around a few settings. I did not do an exhaustive test of every setting combination, but here's what worked for me (not running as administrator for any of these):
  • 1920x1080, fullscreen, Good quality
  • 1680x1050, windowed, Good quality
  • 1600x900, windowed, Good quality
  • 1280x720, fullscreen, Good quality
  • 1280x720, windowed, Good quality
  • 1600x900, fullscreen, Fantastic quality
  • 1680x1050, fullscreen, Fantastic quality
  • 1280x720, fullscreen, Fantastic quality
Code:
Resolution |  Windowed  |  Quality
1920x1080  | fullscreen | Good
1680x1050  | windowed   | Good
1600x900   | windowed   | Good
1280x720   | fullscreen | Good
1280x720   | windowed   | Good
1600x900   | fullscreen | Fantastic
1680x1050  | fullscreen | Fantastic
1280x720   | fullscreen | Fantastic

As @Suslik V said, it seems that "Good" quality worked with most anything else. "Fantastic" quality only seems to work fullscreen when the game's resolution is set lower than your display's resolution. I have no idea why that is the case, but there you go.

Thank you @Suslik V for helping with troubleshooting!

So it seems like these unity games you have to kind of figure out what resolution you can record with because some give you the option. However some games don't give you that option.

By the way thank you so much RytoEX those new settings you gave me do work now! I think the main problem was the Process Priority section, I've had the other options on before and tried them before, but it seems the process priority is what needed to be changed. Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate your guys help.

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
So it seems like these unity games you have to kind of figure out what resolution you can record with because some give you the option. However some games don't give you that option.

By the way thank you so much RytoEX those new settings you gave me do work now! I think the main problem was the Process Priority section, I've had the other options on before and tried them before, but it seems the process priority is what needed to be changed. Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate your guys help.

Keep in mind that if OBS Studio and a game are fighting for CPU so much that priority matters, you're probably taxing your CPU, either because of background processes or the game you're playing, in addition to the recording. If that's the case, then either the recording or your gameplay will stutter, and gameplay stutter will also be apparent in a recording. Hopefully the settings you've changed (aside from the process priority) have alleviated the strain enough that the your CPU is no longer under heavy/max load.

kyomoto

Keep in mind that if OBS Studio and a game are fighting for CPU so much that priority matters, you're probably taxing your CPU, either because of background processes or the game you're playing, in addition to the recording. If that's the case, then either the recording or your gameplay will stutter, and gameplay stutter will also be apparent in a recording. Hopefully the settings you've changed (aside from the process priority) have alleviated the strain enough that the your CPU is no longer under heavy/max load.
Well I tested this just now and both are doing fine so far. Yes I put ultrafast, thank you.