Wireless HDMI Transmitters

schultlj

Greetings from Ohio! I was wondering if anyone here uses a wireless HDMI transmitter to send a camera feed across a room to their computer. I currently have a Sony Handicam set on one side of our church, and I send the feed through a wireless HDMI transmitter (https://www.iogear.com/product/GWHDKIT11/) to it's receiver counterpart on the other side of the room. The transmitter has a clear line of sight between sender and receiver. The receiver then sends feed to the Elgato Camlink capture card and then to our laptop. I previously had the camera wired directly to our laptop directly and had success with that, so I'm pretty confident that our setup works and that our problems can be traced to the wireless transmitter. I'd like to keep this wireless setup, as it provides a better angle for our viewers.

Our OBS setup runs at 4500bps with variable bitrate setup.

I've attached a couple of logs from previous streams for reference.

The problems we're facing:
1) Our image blacks out approximately once or twice per mass. The sound remains, as well as the regular stream, but the image just blacks out. I usually fix this by simply "deactivating" and "activating" the camera source within OBS. I've tried to fix it by updating the firmware for the Camlink capture card. This problem only really arose after we installed the wireless HDMI transmitter, but we are well within the range of the device, and it even blacks out in an empty church with direct line of sight. I took the transmitter to my house and used it on my tv, and had no issues with it whatsoever. My guess is that there's something wrong with how the transmitter sends data to OBS but I'm not sure.

2) Our stream seems to crash once per mass. For no apparent reason, we'll be streaming at 4500 bps, when suddenly we drop to 0-900 bps for around 60 seconds. I've tried to correct this by messing with the "Enable network optimization" in advanced settings, as well as setting an outbound rule for TCP port number 1935 as described on this forum (https://obsproject.com/wiki/Dropped-Frames-and-General-Connection-Issues). We seem to have adequate speeds to maintain a seamless stream, so I don't think speed is an issue.

If you'd like to see an example of our streams, this is a previous mass (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D3FDpJm3EE&t=3166s). At the 52:00 mark our camera just blacks out, and at the 1:03:30 mark our picture pixelates while our streaming bitrate crashes for a minute or so. As you can see on the stream, things seem to work perfectly for 99% of the stream, but these problems seem to happen nearly every stream.

Many thanks to anyone who can provide some suggestions.

Attachments

• 2021-02-14 09-15-02.txt
    12.8 KB · Views: 61
  • 2021-02-21 08-37-47.txt
    36 KB · Views: 19

atteberymaurice

There are now many different HDMI Switcher Recommendations out there. So many that it can be very difficult to know which one you need or even how to tell if you need one. In this article we will discuss some of the features to look for and things you should consider when shopping for a new TV or once you have an existing TV.

One of the most important features you should look for in a switcher is if it has more than one port - that is, if it can support HDMI switching between your HDTV and a new laptop/computer display. Many switchers only have one HDMI port, but if you have a laptop/computer then you need at least two ports for power, video and audio. The most expensive HDMI switchers will allow up to four ports.

Another feature that is important is whether the HDMI Switcher can automatically detect your cable connections and hook up your device to the correct one. For example, if you have an HDMI splitter then it is most likely going to use the same cable as your DVD/VCR player and your TV. Make sure you check that out in the reviews. There are some amazing features out there and some of them you may never have thought about before. The best part is that if you do decide to buy one, they are usually very reasonably priced and you won't regret it.